Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in IFSC/Spencer Dock. What the hell is wrong with this city?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

you do need to keep your wits about you in that part of town.;)
    Yes, when crossing the street. The biggest danger to people in Dublin City Centre is traffic; motorists and cyclists breaking red lights, and cars racing around the place trying to gain seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Talbot Street is full of tourists staying in hostels and hotels. I can't believe these knackers are allowed to live next door to such areas of Dublin city centre. I get so annoyed as O'Connell Street, our feckin capital street is borderlining a no go area. I see nothing but junkies roaming around like the walking dead, gangs of knacker kids cycling whizzing between tourists almost knocking them down etc.

I am honestly ashamed of the city centre of my home city. My girlfriend is foreign and she can't understand why these knackers are living in such prime locations for free, she thinks our gardai are useless and look like little geeks (they're intimidating in Europe just like they should be here), she's not impressed at all.

I was at a interview at DIT Sackville Street and a foreign woman also at the interview said she can't believe how many junkies are roaming around Talbot Street etc and open drug use.

It's embarrassing how this goes on in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Talbot Street is full of tourists staying in hostels and hotels. I can't believe these knackers are allowed to live next door to such areas of Dublin city centre. I get so annoyed as O'Connell Street, our feckin capital street is borderlining a no go area. I see nothing but junkies roaming around like the walking dead, gangs of knacker kids cycling whizzing between tourists almost knocking them down etc.

I am honestly ashamed of the city centre of my home city. My girlfriend is foreign and she can't understand why these knackers are living in such prime locations for free, she thinks our gardai are useless and look like little geeks (they're intimidating in Europe just like they should be here), she's not impressed at all.

I was at a interview at DIT Sackville Street and a foreign woman also at the interview said she can't believe how many junkies are roaming around Talbot Street etc and open drug use.

It's embarrassing how this goes on in the city centre.

Do we have the same girlfriend? She works near Connolly station and says the exact same things about the people living and moping around there; drugged out zombies, feral kids and a general unpleasant feeling with no sign of Gardai moving anyone along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Let them fester outside the M50.

No thanks Dublin, you can keep your own problems, the rest of the country has enough to be dealing with without you flytipping your crap on our doorsteps.

• Advertisement

Do we have the same girlfriend? She works near Connolly station and says the exact same things about the people living and moping around there; drugged out zombies, feral kids and a general unpleasant feeling with no sign of Gardai moving anyone along.

I certainly hope not lol.

Mine lives just outside the city centre but spends alot of her free time in town. She thinks O'Connell Street as our "main" street is a disgrace. It's a free for all for junkies, even I notice it.

Would you be embarrassed to your her family around town? I certainly would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I am honestly ashamed of the city centre of my home city. My girlfriend is foreign and she can't understand why these knackers are living in such prime locations for free,

100% nail on the head but there's no political will to fix it
    If Manhattan can be de-scummed, surely Dublin can.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's normally the first thing tourists see too. Connolly station, Busaraus. A short walk from our busiest city centre streets. You take a wrong turn at Connolly you're suddenly up Sheriff St. If you want to get to O'Connell St you're already walking down dodgy streets. I don't live in the area, but I'm frequently around the area, and I had seen problems after a concert last year.

Went to take the 151 home (few stops just before Sheriff St area) and the bus was late. There was a group of arseholes chasing the bus hurling abuse and throwing stones at it. Thankfully the bus stopped to pick us up instead of just going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

100% nail on the head but there's no political will to fix it
    If Manhattan can be de-scummed, surely Dublin can.

Never going to happen. There's a ring of social housing around the city centre and they'll never be moved. This means there's a constant supply of heroin addicts and little ASBO knackers hanging around the city centre.

I cycle down Seville Place now to get to a new job and yesterday I saw some junkie with the dead eyes and hollow cheeks dragging a kid of about 10 years old down the road giving out to him as the kid cried. That kid has absolutely no chance in life, we know exactly where things are going for him. These knackers should be sterilised or have their kids taken off them.

As for the Garda. If you're ever lucky enough to actually see one in the city centre, the state of them in those clown outfits they wear. They remind me of Wizbit from the Paul Daniels show if anyone remembers that. The least intimidating police force by MILES that I've ever seen. They should be rebranded and reuniformed. Pathetic.
    Go to Spain or France and they just have an air of "Don't f**k with us" about them which you have to respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Never going to happen. There's a ring of social housing around the city centre and they'll never be moved. This means there's a constant supply of heroin addicts and little ASBO knackers hanging around the city centre.

I don’t think they need to be moved though. What needs to change is that our society as a whole either ignores the current issues linked to social housing or accepts them as unavoidable.

I do realise there are many political blockers to achieve this, but all we need is to stop tolerating these behaviours and severely punish them (from small things to big ones). This would be giving everyone a service including the numerous decent people who need to rely on social housing and have to put-up with that crap on a daily basis.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don’t think they need to be moved though. What needs to change is that our society as a whole either ignores the current issues linked to social housing or accepts them as unavoidable.

I do realise there are many political blockers to achieve this, but all we need is to stop tolerating these behaviours and severely punish them (from small things to big ones). This would be giving everyone a service including the numerous decent people who need to rely on social housing and have to put-up with that crap on a daily basis.

Again, cycling home last night you see so many young women in their 20s with 2 or 3 kids walking around. These girls should be working full time and educated by then.
    What if we offered people from these areas generous grants for getting educated and not having kids? Because knocking out babies and getting a house beside your Ma is an attractive life to these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Again, cycling home last night you see so many young women in their 20s with 2 or 3 kids walking around. These girls should be working full time and educated by then.
    What if we offered people from these areas generous grants for getting educated and not having kids? Because knocking out babies and getting a house beside your Ma is an attractive life to these people.

Yeah don’t disagree with that.

Really my point is that accepting that social housing has to be the way it is (and conclude it should just be moved away from the city) is a mistake in my opinion.

You only ever see tracksuit wearing young women obviously from sheriff street wheeling buggys around town. Why do I never see posh, more educated young women doing the same? Something is missing in the common women's education or upbringing that makes being a mother at age 18 is deemed to be ok. It's not, they're bound for a life children's allowance and they're perfectly happy with that.

You only ever see tracksuit wearing young women obviously from sheriff street wheeling buggys around town. Why do I never see posh, more educated young women doing the same? Something is missing in the common women's education or upbringing that makes being a mother at age 18 is deemed to be ok. It's not, they're bound for a life children's allowance and they're perfectly happy with that.

Lack of ambition and zero guidance from parents. And just not knowing any better. They think anyone different to them is a posh c*nt or a bleedin' weeeirdo. The state needs to intervene. Which it wont. They're useless. I don't know why I even discuss this stuff, it will never change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the city center absolutely can be fixed but the state chooses not to tackle the issue

A robust law enforcement and sentencing would be a start, if you know you are gonna get caught and fcuked up by the system if you act the maggot, you're less likely to act the maggot.

This should followed by a longer term plan to re-locate local scumbags to areas where they are less likely to come into contact with tourists and over time the area will be replaced with people who contribute to society and are proud of where they live.

It's not easy by any means, but leaving it the way it is makes large areas of the city center (close to tourist attractions) filthy and dangerous. It's very depressing.

Lack of ambition and zero guidance from parents. And just not knowing any better. They think anyone different to them is a posh c*nt or a bleedin' weeeirdo. The state needs to intervene. Which it wont. They're useless. I don't know why I even discuss this stuff, it will never change.

I live on a hosting estate in crumlin.

Girls I played with as a kid have kids now playing on the street, all teen mother's, some even on 2 or 3 kids. It's madness. I wouldn't even consider a child until I'm financially stable(I'm by far not) and have a plan in place. I'm 27 now, even if I'm financially stable, I would never have a kid on my 20s.

Why doesn't this crap happen in other cities? Or at least their city centres. I bet tourists are spreading the word. It's a shame as Ireland is beutiful and Dublin is worth a weekend stay but some scumbags are trashing the city centre.

I live on a hosting estate in crumlin.

Girls I played with as a kid have kids now playing on the street, all teen mother's, some even on 2 or 3 kids. It's madness. I wouldn't even consider a child until I'm financially stable(I'm by far not) and have a plan in place. I'm 27 now, even if I'm financially stable, I would never have a kid on my 20s.

Why doesn't this crap happen in other cities? Or at least their city centres. I bet tourists are spreading the word. It's a shame as Ireland is beutiful and Dublin is worth a weekend stay but some scumbags are trashing the city centre.

Live in a similar area myself. I work though and pay for my house. I'm fine with that and I'm fine with my neighbours getting the houses for free but at least raise your kids properly. We all need a leg up from the state sometimes.
    My parents are from inner city and Finglas, not exactly Dalkey, but they were driven and respectful of laws and the state and raised me properly. There's something wrong with this class of waster that takes and takes and gives nothing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

These knackers should be sterilised or have their kids taken off them.
    Mod note: There's enough rant in this thread already, but the above and rounding them up and throwing out beyond the M50 and suchlike are contrary to the charter ie. knock that rubbish off.
    Do not respond to this message on thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My girlfriend is foreign and she can't understand why these knackers are living in such prime locations for free

No-one gets social housing for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You only ever see tracksuit wearing young women obviously from sheriff street wheeling buggys around town.

Really? What town? Dublin city, between the canals?
    Why do I never see posh, more educated young women doing the same? Something is missing in the common women's education or upbringing that makes being a mother at age 18 is deemed to be ok. It's not, they're bound for a life children's allowance and they're perfectly happy with that.

I'd be often seen around town, so would my wife, with buggies and kids along with a lot of other people. We don't wear tracksuits and we're not "obviously" from Sheriff st. (although we lived there for a long time)

Are you seeing what you want to see to enflame your rage? Do you wear your "scumbag blinkers" when you're knocking around town?

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Really? What town? Dublin city, between the canals?

I'd be often seen around town, so would my wife, with buggies and kids along with a lot of other people. We don't wear tracksuits and we're not "obviously" from Sheriff st. (although we lived there for a long time)

Are you seeing what you want to see to enflame your rage? Do you wear your "scumbag blinkers" when you're knocking around town?

I think if you're often in the North Inner City, unless you're totally clueless, you know what he's talking about. I've seen your posts before and I agree with you on many things, I think we might be neighbours actually, but you're the one wearing blinkers when it comes to the issues with Dublin city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yes they do. When all your income is welfare and you are allocated social housing, you will pay a miniscule rent out of the welfare.
    You haven't 'earned' anything. These people have kids and use them as a meal ticket to get up the list.
    It is absolutely disgraceful that we have a significant number of people living in city centre locations who have no intention of working. Generations of them.
    Meanwhile workers commute for hours and their tax supports these free loaders

If you're a single mother and not earning any money but are provided accommodation and an income of some sort, is that not free? Docking some rent from your free income doesn't equate to paying for it... does it?!

I think if you're often in the North Inner City, unless you're totally clueless, you know what he's talking about. I've seen your posts before and I agree with you on many things, I think we might be neighbours actually, but you're the one wearing blinkers when it comes to the issues with Dublin city centre!

I'd say you're realistically lingering between his bull**** posts and my (admittedly) rose tinted glasses posts. But, it's not that bad. My sojourns are now early morning ones (kids) so I'm presented with clean streets, not much flak and very cheap ethnic eateries.

I still work in the area, and whilst there's the odd teen bogie gang, there very easily avoided or very very easily handled.

For me anyway. (and probably you)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'd say you're realistically lingering between his bull**** posts and my (admittedly) rose tinted glasses posts. But, it's not that bad. My sojourns are now early morning ones (kids) so I'm presented with clean streets, not much flak and very cheap ethnic eateries.

I still work in the area, and whilst there's the odd teen bogie gang, there very easily avoided or very very easily handled.

For me anyway. (and probably you)

It's not bad, I know, I still love this city, for all its flaws. Once I was held up by syringe on O'Connell st in the afternoon, when I was 15, that's the only trouble I've ever had. Which is pretty bad I suppose!
    I don't even know what we're talking about any more in this thread to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes they do. When all your income is welfare and you are allocated social housing, you will pay a miniscule rent out of the welfare.
    You haven't 'earned' anything. These people have kids and use them as a meal ticket to get up the list.
    It is absolutely disgraceful that we have a significant number of people living in city centre locations who have no intention of working. Generations of them.
    Meanwhile workers commute for hours and their tax supports these free loaders
    If you're a single mother and not earning any money but are provided accommodation and an income of some sort, is that not free? Docking some rent from your free income doesn't equate to paying for it... does it?!

Everyone in social housing pays rent. Social housing is not free. And here's the shocker - some people in social housing actually work - and are still under the income thresholds for social housing.

Everyone in social housing pays rent. Social housing is not free. And here's the shocker - some people in social housing actually work - and are still under the income thresholds for social housing.

I don't think you understand the concept of earning money.
    By the way, if you're from an area, are you more likely to get social housing in that area if you're on a list? Like could you be from Summerhill, but get a house in say Belcamp or somewhere?

It's not bad, I know, I still love this city, for all its flaws. Once I was held up by syringe on O'Connell st in the afternoon, when I was 15, that's the only trouble I've ever had. Which is pretty bad I suppose!
    I don't even know what we're talking about any more in this thread to be honest.

LOL! I'm with you. Every city has an underbelly. The cleaner they are the deeper the underbelly is in my experience. The North East inner city has been seriously neglected and that creates lots of problems.

I got on well when I lived there. I sort of got involved with my neighbours and the community, it went well and I still have good friends from the area that went to my wedding and remain close and handy friends.

It's a bit like a rich Dublin person moving in to a small village in a rural part of Ireland thinking they're much better than the locals & not getting involved in the community. Then they're amazed that they're not accepted.

I don't know, it's just ridiculous. This whole government. They keep telling us about job creations and the economy booming but the inner city with homeless people is worse than it's ever been. The Garda are useless, there's still litter everywhere...
    Beggars are all over Fairview now, there was none of that when I went to school there in the 90s. There are heroin addicts everywhere, I think people are just sick of the city being such a mess.
    I work around Baggot St Bridge now and it's like a totally different city to when I worked in North Inner City, I think the Government is oblivious to our problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

If the rent you pay is from welfare you receive then it is free, do you understand that?
    People who work in and live in social housing are still heavily subsidised
    Even at that DCC are owed millions in rent by those in arrears.

Advertisement