Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

third baby post partam recovery

• 24-03-2018 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in a long time! I had a miscarriage in september 2016 and I have now had a successful pregnancy and welcomed my third child on feb 27th. :) I was so worried and stressed throughout the pregnancy and I am over the moon to have my baby here safe and sound.

So my question is are there any mammies of 3 kids out there who found the recovery after their third baby hard?

Birth and labour were fine. I think I underestimated the tiredness after! I am nearly 4 weeks post partem now. Some days I feel like I am getting back to normal but by the afternoon I feel terrible. Like I feel very down, I start to worry about ridiculous things and worry about my health etc. If I manage to get a rest I feel much worse after it!!

I am still getting the after pains in my tummy. I also got a uti despite drinking loads of water!!

I suppose I am just wondering if anyone else feels like/felt like this and did ye feel better come the 6 weeks? Just looking for other people to chat to as none of my friends were pregnanct with me this time! Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

For what it's worth, I am pregnant with my third but I found recovery after the second tough.I got a septic sore throat round the 6/7 week mark.Really pulled me down badly.I know midwives have told me the afterbirth pains get worse with each progressive pregnancy (are you breastfeeding?).Afternoon is ALWAYS my worst time, even now when I'm pregnant.I struggle so badly, am so exhausted and just can't cope.I remember from about 5-9 weeks after my second, just ....not being able to do anything.Feeling like getting up and out was just too much, and ending up sitting at home all day (which was very very unlike me).The tiredness was almost paralysing.I actually stopped BF at 7 weeks after the infection and once I got some sleep, I coped better but there were still very bad days.I had a 21 mth old and a newborn and it was very bad for the first few months.

I would definitely say it to your GP if I were you.What's the age gap between your kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

OP I could've written your post! Prior to number 3 being born I thought... It'll be fine... I got this! I had 2 babies before with only 14 months between them. So I thought this was going to be a breeze! Well she came in like a whirlwind and i never thought I was going to see a point when it would all calm down.

Fine birth... 2.5 hours. So nothing major to note there. But she was a bit bigger than my last 2 at 9lb so I definitely felt it more. The first 3 days which had been fine with my last 2 were full of screaming (from her) and excruciating nipple pain with me. Found out she had tongue tie. Persisted with breast feeding and still feeding now. That was pure stubbornness on my part tho. I felt like a failure at the time.

The sheer exhaustion was all encompassing. I thought it would be so easy as I was "soooo experienced"... What on earth was I thinking. My body felt tried. I felt old. Only 35. But my body felt like that of someone a lot older. I was up out walking... Then felt like I could collapse after it. I had no time for my other little ones.

7 weeks big turning point! 3 months bigger turning point. Hang in there! U will be fine. Mine little darling still wakes through the night. But it's ok. My body feels better and I'm less tired. I think it just takes more time third time around. I was out in the pub having an Xmas drink 4 weeks after my first! I'm only just feeling really back to myself the last little while. X

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am breastfeeding. He cracked a nipple which is still healing!!! But its getting better. He feeds every 3 hours ish but tonight hes wanting it every 2!

My kids are 6 and 4. Flew through them.

I hear ya on feeling old. the tiredness is unreal. I am 32 and I feel like a 70 year old. I look at my granny and think she has much more energy than I do!!!:eek:

I think I just want to feel a bit better but I don't have much patience. :rolleyes: I want to do stuff with my other kids and Im just so tired or feel if I went for a walk I wouldnt make it back!!

I know I just have to accept it is a big game changer and I need to allow my body to adjust. After all it took 9 months to grow him!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I just noticed you said you feel worse after a rest...yes yes yes.I bloody hate sleeping during the day, I feel horrible for a long time after I wake up.

OP, I am 35 having my third, was 31 having my first.Your age has more of an impact than you realise I reckon!!I know that frustration of wanting to do stuff with the others, it's hard.

Just out of curiousity, are you still bleeding and is it reducing at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Purpletoes

My littlest is 14months. I have 15 & 5 also.

I have only in the last few weeks felt like things are reaching some normality. I split up with my partner during pregnancy and have been On my own. Exhaustion doesn't even begin to cover it.

Hopefully when you finish breast feeding you won't feel as tired. It made me wrecked and I think sitting feeding the baby made me feel wrecked too. I find i need to stay going until I stop.

Don't lose hope it faith in youself. You are doing a great job and we are all only human at the end of the day.

We have a family motto 'everything is only temporary' it's true. This phase of exhaustion will pass and things will get easier 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am breastfeeding. He cracked a nipple which is still healing!!! But its getting better. He feeds every 3 hours ish but tonight hes wanting it every 2!

My kids are 6 and 4. Flew through them.

I hear ya on feeling old. the tiredness is unreal. I am 32 and I feel like a 70 year old. I look at my granny and think she has much more energy than I do!!!:eek:

I think I just want to feel a bit better but I don't have much patience. :rolleyes: I want to do stuff with my other kids and Im just so tired or feel if I went for a walk I wouldnt make it back!!

I know I just have to accept it is a big game changer and I need to allow my body to adjust. After all it took 9 months to grow him!

Similar ages here OP. 5yo and 4yo. Smallest is nearly 5 months now. I also had a stressful pregnancy. Docs thought there might be a couple of risk factors with her. And when she was born they thought she might have a little heart problem.
    So like you I was quite stressed. Scan after scan after scan. But at her 6 week check she was given the all clear.

Went through a terrible time trying to feed her. She couldn't feed at all and I couldn't understand why. I was expressing then bottle feeding whilst trying to breast feed aswell. It was a nightmare. And the pain was something I'd never felt before. Way worse than giving birth! I'd feed my first 2 effortlessly. Tongue tie snip stopped the pain but she'll never be an efficient feeder. On me all day!

She wouldn't sleep (ever!). Was in my bed for the first couple months. Didn't have husband in the bed at all.

At 7 weeks we started getting a little bit more settled and my energy levels stared increasing a little.

I remember saying to my husband at 3 months... That it was only them I was "beginning" to really feel back to myself again. You're only 4 weeks postpartum OP. I remember thinking at the time... "Sure 4 weeks!... That's ages! I was grand after a week or 2 on my others!". I had my first 2 in the buggy for long walks in the park at 4 weeks to get them out of the house so the 2 of them wouldn't be crying at the same time!
    But I reakon 3rd defo takes longer to recover from. Especially as you're trying to split yourself between 2 other little ones.

Mind yourself and take your time. 4 weeks is such a short time. I know it doesn't feel like it now. I was thinking like you are now. But it won't be long till you're feeling back to yourself. 😊

shesty wrote: »
    I just noticed you said you feel worse after a rest...yes yes yes.I bloody hate sleeping during the day, I feel horrible for a long time after I wake up.

Its awful isnt it! you try get a rest and you feel worse. I find im nearly better to battle through the tiredness!!

Just out of curiousity, are you still bleeding and is it reducing at all?
    Still bleeding but it is very light. Hoping it ends soon!!

Purpletoes wrote: »
    My littlest is 14months. I have 15 & 5 also.

I have only in the last few weeks felt like things are reaching some normality. I split up with my partner during pregnancy and have been On my own. Exhaustion doesn't even begin to cover it.

Hopefully when you finish breast feeding you won't feel as tired. It made me wrecked and I think sitting feeding the baby made me feel wrecked too. I find i need to stay going until I stop.

Don't lose hope it faith in youself. You are doing a great job and we are all only human at the end of the day.

We have a family motto 'everything is only temporary' it's true. This phase of exhaustion will pass and things will get easier ��

its funny Ive been saying the same thing, 'this will pass!'

Thanks for the reply! you must have been so wrecked having to do it on your own! Im the same as you though, if i keep going im fine but as soon as i stop thats it!

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Similar ages here OP. 5yo and 4yo. Smallest is nearly 5 months now. I also had a stressful pregnancy. Docs thought there might be a couple of risk factors with her. And when she was born they thought she might have a little heart problem.
    So like you I was quite stressed. Scan after scan after scan. But at her 6 week check she was given the all clear.

Went through a terrible time trying to feed her. She couldn't feed at all and I couldn't understand why. I was expressing then bottle feeding whilst trying to breast feed aswell. It was a nightmare. And the pain was something I'd never felt before. Way worse than giving birth! I'd feed my first 2 effortlessly. Tongue tie snip stopped the pain but she'll never be an efficient feeder. On me all day!

She wouldn't sleep (ever!). Was in my bed for the first couple months. Didn't have husband in the bed at all.

At 7 weeks we started getting a little bit more settled and my energy levels stared increasing a little.

I remember saying to my husband at 3 months... That it was only them I was "beginning" to really feel back to myself again. You're only 4 weeks postpartum OP. I remember thinking at the time... "Sure 4 weeks!... That's ages! I was grand after a week or 2 on my others!". I had my first 2 in the buggy for long walks in the park at 4 weeks to get them out of the house so the 2 of them wouldn't be crying at the same time!
    But I reakon 3rd defo takes longer to recover from. Especially as you're trying to split yourself between 2 other little ones.

Mind yourself and take your time. 4 weeks is such a short time. I know it doesn't feel like it now. I was thinking like you are now. But it won't be long till you're feeling back to yourself. ��

Thanks so much for your reply! It's reassuring! and Yeh I suppose 4 weeks is not that long!!! the third is definitely a game changer recovery wise! glad to hear the 7 week mark was a bit of a turning point and that it could be 3 months before I feel myself!! I think I just needed to hear from other people that it is normal! people are saying 'oh you look great'. And im like I feel like I could collapse on you right now!!

Glad your little one is ok! my little man is a puker now hoping its not reflux but I think it is!

Advertisement