Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 2 - The Happyning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

In order to get my car fully road-legal here I had to swap the MOT for an NCT. The form I was given from the VRT office said I had to send a postal order for €15.50 in order to get the new disk. Grand says I, and I sent it off. Today the post came and along with my new disk was my postal order! For some reason or another they obviously didn’t want it :D I know it’s only €15, but still, more money in my pocket :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    In order to get my car fully road-legal here I had to swap the MOT for an NCT. The form I was given from the VRT office said I had to send a postal order for €15.50 in order to get the new disk. Grand says I, and I sent it off. Today the post came and along with my new disk was my postal order! For some reason or another they obviously didn’t want it :D I know it’s only €15, but still, more money in my pocket :D

Well done to the Mini!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

People celebrating their birthdays (particularly "big" ones) on their actual birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MissDisaster

So excited to see my boyfriend today. Been in a happy, happy mood all day. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Passed by my Mum & Dad talking about their wedding day - they’re coming up to their 50th anniversary. Dad is hard of hearing so it may have been a one way conversation! Very sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Going to see Fast and Furious Hobbs and Shaw tomorrow at the cinema

The Liveline thread titles always give me a giggle! :D

Watching the music video for the Chris de Burgh song Don't Pay the Ferryman on Youtube. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kitty6277 wrote: »

when I was new here, I waited until my UK insurance etc ran out.. Then they delayed responding over and again. s o I emailed them explaining I was disabled and at the top of a mountain and of course could not drive ILLEGALLY etc and would unless they came soon die of starvation or thirst..

Yep they came immediately...

Very very happy that Boycat finally came home after MIA for 24 hours after our walk y;day.
    He stopped following half way round.. I decided after fettling the Church to go the long way round which I am clearly no longer able for.. he had Jacob both opted out but Jacob came home for food.

No sign of 15 year old Boycat all the day and night long. Emailed a neighbour to start the bush telegraph and fretted all night.. .went out with torch and cat food tin and spoon...

there is wild bog out there with sink holes that would ..... shudders..

He is now under my covers... sweet happy relief...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

I woke up this morning with a strong feeling Im going to win the lotto tonight!! At the moment thats a TH anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

TH for the gorgeous weather - I find you remember it more on a bank holiday weekend for some reason

snowgal wrote: »
    I woke up this morning with a strong feeling Im going to win the lotto tonight!! At the moment thats a TH anyway!

I think you should split your winnings with the first two people who thank your post.

Oh looks like I'm in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Bought some size 12 clothes today. No longer searching the rails for size 18. Just a few more pounds and I'm there.

But people who moaned about my weight are now not happy either and say I've lost too much. Been losing steadily and slowly and will be happy when I reach recommended weight for my height and build. Not being picky or difficult when eating in their houses and just accept what is served.

I'm happy, which is the main thing.

my cat who was lost.. sitting knitting in the sun all afternoon with him sunbathing alongside me...rolling on his back in the sun he was ... an email from the neighbour I asked to keep an eye out for him when he was lost. he had said he was organising the bush telegraph" When I told him the cat was HOME he said he had stood down the troops and cced to them! Four good folk,,, makes me happy at how blessed I am here,

wildwillow wrote: »
    Bought some size 12 clothes today. No longer searching the rails for size 18. Just a few more pounds and I'm there.

But people who moaned about my weight are now not happy either and say I've lost too much. Been losing steadily and slowly and will be happy when I reach recommended weight for my height and build. Not being picky or difficult when eating in their houses and just accept what is served.

I'm happy, which is the main thing.

folk always say that! maybe jealousy? Just do what is right for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Quite a bit more than TH...

...as i sold my nearly never used german army sleeping bag via ebay to a guy who already owns one. He wanted another one for his wife for their motorbike holidays. Happy to get another one he overpayed it by 3€, a nice gesture. :)

To my absolute surprise he just sent me another 20€ just because his wife is over the moon with her matching sleeping bag. :eek:

It really is a fantastic robust piece for outdoor enthusiasts but this reaction left me completely stunned and very thankful. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Black Forest , your posts and pics about your adventures on the bike , the areas you go to and your life in general , always make me smile , TH :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A sunny day like this with nothing in particular to do.

What a perfect day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sushi places that half the price of everything at 5PM sharp. :P

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Black Forest , your posts and pics about your adventures on the bike , the areas you go to and your life in general , always make me smile , TH :)

Thanks a lot Mam of 4. If my little escapes can put a smile on someone’s face i have reached my goal.:D

It’s nothing special just my sometimes overboarding enthusiasm about my little neck of the woods. During the last eight month i lost 18 kilogramms and have a much more healthy lifestyle. Nearly no alcohol ( despite i really can enjoy a nice fruity white wine), no sugar and nearly no fat. All this brought me back from high triglycerides levels and the dreaded diabetes 2.

In a former live i was living in the fast lane travelling the world earning stupid amounts of money. Nowadays i enjoy a lot more mellow and downgraded down to earth living. My 81 year old mother has become the jet setter in the family and i stay at home. :pac:

Sometimes i feel a bit like the old farm labourer in this film:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078080/

I just have to refrain from writing a whole book instead of a short post. Otherwise my natural optimism and my humour have returned and i’m feeling a lot more content.:D

The Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw was very good.

Thanks a lot Mam of 4. If my little escapes can put a smile on someone’s face i have reached my goal.:D

It’s nothing special just my sometimes overboarding enthusiasm about my little neck of the woods. During the last eight month i lost 18 kilogramms and have a much more healthy lifestyle. Nearly no alcohol ( despite i really can enjoy a nice fruity white wine), no sugar and nearly no fat. All this brought me back from high triglycerides levels and the dreaded diabetes 2.

In a former live i was living in the fast lane travelling the world earning stupid amounts of money. Nowadays i enjoy a lot more mellow and downgraded down to earth living. My 81 year old mother has become the jet setter in the family and i stay at home. :pac:

Sometimes i feel a bit like the old farm labourer in this film:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078080/

I just have to refrain from writing a whole book instead of a short post. Otherwise my natural optimism and my humour have returned and i’m feeling a lot more content.:D

Have you a blog ?
    I'm sure many of us would love to read it !

If not , write that book :D
    And congratulations on your achievements , and avoiding Type 2 , that's no mean feat at all . Your happiness with life show in your posts , thanks for sharing with us :)

Happy to open the door early today and have all five cats stream in like an incoming tide.... That scare was scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Bredabe

My friend got the all clear from the growth on his 'boy bits', Im proud of him overcoming his embarrassment and having it followed up.
    And he's got an interview for his dream job next weekend.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Our NI office has organised training for us, but they cant schedule exactly when it will be, as it has an individual component.
    This means 4 days in Belfast on the 'boss' and a chance to spend the weekend with the fam on the way back to seaside hq!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Knowing that I have an excellent group of very friends. I texted a Watsapp group of some of my closest friends looking for help with something that was worrying me, and within the hour all four of them had sent back tips, advice, and general supportive messages. It's reassuring, but also something that makes me happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

An afternoon nap

in haste; internet barel y accessible as computer is dying... cannot get access until tuesday of course

happy weekend all.. will stay aboard as i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I spent the morning cutting sizable limbs from several overgrown mature trees in the garden. When done I had a mountain of timber to be gathered and disposed of. In pops a neighbour who was out for a walk and called for a chat. He tells me I'll get great fuel from all that wood. But I explained that I don't burn wood in the open fire and he said he used it in the stove. A phone call to his son followed. His son arrived promptly with a trailer and two ton bags full headed off to my neighbour's. He wanted to pay me for it: I wanted to pay for having it taken away. He reckons he now has the house and water heated for at least two months and I'm rid of what was, to me, waste. Happenchance left us both happy.

• Advertisement

I spent the morning cutting sizable limbs from several overgrown mature trees in the garden. When done I had a mountain of timber to be gathered and disposed of. In pops a neighbour who was out for a walk and called for a chat. He tells me I'll get great fuel from all that wood. But I explained that I don't burn wood in the open fire and he said he used it in the stove. A phone call to his son followed. His son arrived promptly with a trailer and two ton bags full headed off to my neighbour's. He wanted to pay me for it: I wanted to pay for having it taken away. He reckons he now has the house and water heated for at least two months and I'm rid of what was, to me, waste. Happenchance left us both happy.

The circular economy in action!

Having a lazy Saturday, nearly time for a G&T

TH that I had such a good day exploring County Clare with my cousins yesterday. We saw the Cliffs of Moher, went to Father Ted’s house and then went for food in Ennis. So nice to see them all and catch up with them before one of them and his girlfriend move off to Oz.

Also, yesterday was my first time taking the Mini on a proper long journey since I’ve been used to driving it and it went like a dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

After quite a bit of struggling, I have just played my first ever guitar chord. Sure, my short, very soft fingers are now entirely numb, but that D chord was - to my ears - a thing of absolute beauty.

Finding out that Ros na Rún is back next month on TG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

After literally 5 seconds of putting up a fly mesh on my window, a big ugly wasp tried to fly in. Haha! Mesh: 1. Wasp: 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    After quite a bit of struggling, I have just played my first ever guitar chord. Sure, my short, very soft fingers are now entirely numb, but that D chord was - to my ears - a thing of absolute beauty.

https://youtu.be/XMxSOiOWdvA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Putting on my earphones and going to that magical place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

bolgbui41 wrote: »

I understand your happiness, about a month ago I picked up my daughters old keyboard and with the help of Youtube I stayed at it until I got the first 20 seconds of Fúr Elise off by heart. It's one of my favourite pieces of music and she surprised me one day by playing the full version for me.

There was a lot of frustration before I could do it without an obvious mistake, but once I got it right I felt like Beethoven.

Music is good for the soul.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Schwanz wrote: »
    Putting on my earphones and going to that magical place

What are you listening to ?

TH , just seeing others be happy and enjoying the little things in life :)

I visited 2 great places of interest today. Doneraile Court in Cork and Lough Gur in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Had coffee and caught up with two good friends this afternoon.

It’s raining really heavily here at the moment and I’m on the couch in my PJs wrapped in a blanket with a cup of tea and listening to the rain outside. I love this kind of weather when I don’t have to go anywhere.

A fine a Bank Holiday Monday with a mix of jobs and fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It was meant to rain heavy here this afternoon but we took a chance and went to the Live on the Pier concert at Dromquinna, the Brennan brothers host it and this was the seventh year.

It turned out a glorious day and the bands were outstanding, we had one shower near the end but by that stage Jerry Fish had everyone dancing and pretending to row boats and hugging each other so it didn't really matter.

A great relaxed family atmosphere is created, 15 euro for adults and kids U16 are free means the local farmers will go as well as pensioner hippies and the tourists with their young kids. Secure parking is free, local youngsters are employed to collect empty bottles, glasses, pizza boxes etc.

No way these guys are making money on these concerts, they actually encourage local small businesses to promote themselves and set up stalls that compete with their own business on site. They open the Boathouse bar and the dearest pint of lager is 5 euro, they set up big bouncy castles and there is even a swing hanging off a branch of a tree for all to enjoy with no supervisor.

It's heartwarming to see successful businessmen giving something back to the local community and long may it last.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I had a house/garden party on sat and it all went well thank God.

I have to say my back garden looked amazing (not a euphemism..I know what you people are like :) ) We even made the shed into a makeshift bar which looked and was cooler than it sounds.

Th it's over though and I won't be arranging one of those again any time soon :)

Short week this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I finally got round to filing/shredding/archiving that have been on the long finger way too long.
    Shredding bank statements from 2014 has a good feel..oh and payslips from 2002.
    Yes, I'm a hoarder.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

When my cat get's excited about something or wants me to follow him he does a little chirp and this cute little head shake, he then hops backwards, runs ahead of me with his tail in the air, stops, looks back to make sure im still following him runs ahead a little bit more, stops until I catch up with him.. then leads me to either the food dish which is already full of food, a random stick that he wants me to hold while he tries to chase it, up to bed or leads me to nowhere in which case he rolls over and does another little chirp. He's just so cute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Internet back on, yay!

banjazed and ,,,,, dratted laptop died, and I am on an erratic ancient one that took me all y;day with my non tech head to get even here on,, lost my email as iI will not accept password, so opened a new email account so anyone who emails me needs to pm fpr new address, please

place is littered with dead laptops... my lack of tech ability makes for exhaustion and the print here is tiny... Had three days of radio silence and it is ... barren.

Even this much access makes me happily relieved.. This one will soon die too .

cats are not bothered.. their cat hotel never closes, bless their happy furry faces. they make me happy with their total insouciance to my troubles

HOW ON EARTH? The print just grew in size... happy day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patmahe

All day I have been looking forward to commuting home on my bike for the first time (I brought it in, in the boot of my car), its something I've wanted to start doing for some time but kept kicking the can down the road. Today is day one of the experiment to see if it can become a more regular thing.

If all goes well, it'll keep me fit (16Km each way each day), save money, get me out in fresh air a bit more and I can be a bit happier about doing a bit for the environment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement