Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 2 - The Happyning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I have a very scary, emotional thing that I have to do tom,
    IF I mange to do it then, this time tomorrow it will be finished and I can relax when the inevitable happens.

Update, so glad I did go through with it today, as it was needed this evening.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Happy that I am more au fait with this ancient computer! Slow as treacle flowing uphill in a snowstorm but better than being without ...we rely on this so much.

Happy that all being well my shopping will arrive...and knowing that even if it doesn't I have abundant food ( and cat food!) in stock,

Happy at a quiet morning; at cut flowers from my little patch smiling at me.. happy that the cats are happy! Gave them a huge breakfast... Watching my cats eat always is a happy.

Just at peace.... Has been a chaos these last days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

At last I see cruise ships have been banned from Venice .They are blighting the city and causing damage to its foundation . Happy to see them banned

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patmahe

patmahe wrote: »
    All day I have been looking forward to commuting home on my bike for the first time (I brought it in, in the boot of my car), its something I've wanted to start doing for some time but kept kicking the can down the road. Today is day one of the experiment to see if it can become a more regular thing.

If all goes well, it'll keep me fit (16Km each way each day), save money, get me out in fresh air a bit more and I can be a bit happier about doing a bit for the environment.

Just to follow up on this as a few people seemed to like the idea, I did the commute as planned yesterday evening. Road is rougher in spots than you'd realise from the car and there are 3 hills on the way home that you wouldn't think twice about in the car but you feel them on the bike.

It took 46 minutes to do what takes 20 minutes in the car so I'd deem that a success in terms of exercise payback for the extra time it takes if that makes sense.

One slight concern is how visible I am, my cycling jersey is red, but I think something yellow and reflective would be better, I have a red light under the saddle but I might put another out to the 'car' side just because a couple of people cut it closer than I was comfortable with.

I slept like a log last night and felt great, am a little stiff this morning but I did a few stretches and I'll be grand. All in all very pleased to have done it and will do it again :)

Just to follow up on this as a few people seemed to like the idea, I did the commute as planned yesterday evening. Road is rougher in spots than you'd realise from the car and there are 3 hills on the way home that you wouldn't think twice about in the car but you feel them on the bike.

It took 46 minutes to do what takes 20 minutes in the car so I'd deem that a success in terms of exercise payback for the extra time it takes if that makes sense.

One slight concern is how visible I am, my cycling jersey is red, but I think something yellow and reflective would be better, I have a red light under the saddle but I might put another out to the 'car' side just because a couple of people cut it closer than I was comfortable with.

I slept like a log last night and felt great, am a little stiff this morning but I did a few stretches and I'll be grand. All in all very pleased to have done it and will do it again :)

maybe I am confused but you left your car at work so will cycle back to work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Marquee erected.
    BBQ clean.
    Meat in fridge.
    Condiments in fridge.
    Ice in the freezer.
    Drinks acquired.
    Mac N Cheese ingredients acquired.
    Some salad stuff acquired.
    Crisps - check.
    Ice pops - check.

Party prep complete :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

With regard to the rear lights on a bike, I pass dozens of cyclists on a country road every week during daylight and by far the most visible ones from a distance are those with a flashing red light.

As for the jersey the high vis yellow stands out more than any other.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

See you soon Boom. Can't wait!! :)

That tomorrow is Friday already.

Also, that the premier league starts again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Do you play fantasy football?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patmahe

Graces7 wrote: »
    maybe I am confused but you left your car at work so will cycle back to work?

Had arranged a lift in today, still have to figure out the logistics of arriving into work in a ball of sweat and getting a shower etc... but I'll get there, step one was the commute home ;)

honeybear wrote:

Oh yeah. I start all full of optimism and slowly slowly the struggle begins :D

I take it you play honeybear?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

honeybear wrote: »

What time is the deadline 😱?

Th ff is back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

The slight feel of Autumn in the air!

honeybear wrote:

Oh yeah. I start all full of optimism and slowly slowly the struggle begins :D

I take it you play honeybear?

VERY badly ... have been known to miss the deadline!

What time is the deadline 😱?

Tomorrow at 7 Seph.

Good luck to ye both for the season ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

An impromptu gathering of some of our children and grandchildren. So heart-warming to see the cousins, or all ages, playing with water and filling the air with laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Going to see Blinded by the Light at the cinema tomorrow

Just out from Dunnes. Lady in front of me had shopping that totaled 80. She kept sending her kids back to bring it over 100 (to use the vouchers). They had repeated trips bringing back crisps, but because these were on offer, it took ages. Shop assistant keep apologizing but I told her “it happens to all of us”. Anyway when my shopping came to over 50, she asked did I have a voucher. I didn’t. She went around to the other tellers and eventually got a valid one. She said that I deserved it for being so patient. How sweet! Thank you Dunnes Stores Girl!!!

• Advertisement

The stately yellow gladioli just unfurling... I bought them when I was very very new here and an old lady in the supermarket queue said I must be planning to stay if I was setting flowers.... almost 2 years here now. Oh they are magnificent flowers! sorry; camera down with the crash

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    At last I see cruise ships have been banned from Venice .They are blighting the city and causing damage to its foundation . Happy to see them banned

HALLELUYA!!!!

High time, too!!! I was over not long ago, and from the plane I counted EIGHT massive cruise ships. Even the extra footfall would be enough to cause damage. Assuming 3000 passengers per ship, just that day there would have been 24,000 extra people there. It's like overcrowding a museum and wondering why the artworks are getting damaged. Such a shame.

Happiness is groceries delivered and put away... even strawberries.... can close down this ~~~~~~ of a machine and rest. Happy afterevening everyone.

New Home wrote: »
    HALLELUYA!!!!

High time, too!!! I was over not long ago, and from the plane I counted EIGHT massive cruise ships. Even the extra footfall would be enough to cause damage. Assuming 3000 passengers per ship, just that day there would have been 24,000 extra people there. It's like overcrowding a museum and wondering why the artworks are getting damaged. Such a shame.

Absolutely . Now others need to follow suit , ban the horror from Dubrovnik and Nice and other ports too . They are a menace in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I've a load of THs. I helped someone to claim back tax, they gave me a nice financial gift. I wasn't expecting anything, so lovely.

I gave a neighbour some plants from my garden, she works in a chemist, and brought me some nice sample cosmetics.

I rang HSE for elderly uncle, and a lady called out in less than 24 hours.

Happiness is wandering the quiet lanes in an autumn freshness, a wild invigorating breeze, picking the ripe rose hips and the first few blackberries. Wild flowers everywhere, taking on the purple of heather ...Wide vistas of the ocean on all sides. Sheer bliss...

Now if Oliver cat would just make up his mind whether in or out !

And done my worst chore, dealing with the rubbish... Happy day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

My mam found an old video cassette that for years we thought was lost and gone. It has footage on it of around the time when I was about eight. My granny is on it too. I remember we called into her house and she's giving out to my dad for having the camcorder on because she didn't have her teeth in :)

There's a small bit of an aunt of mine on it who has since passed away (it's especially nice that we have something of her because while I wasn't close to her, her daughters will be happy because they lost alot of their photos of her through no fault of their own).

I havent seen it for years and we have no video player to watch it atm so have to wait to get it transferred to DVD. I'll be cringing but I can't wait to see it again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Meeting a cat I christened "Italian Kitty" while away in Italy for my brothers wedding, I got to play with them for a good hour until they lost interest, my mam called me "Oh look K at whats outside the window" and there was a beautiful kitty sitting down looking up at us, well I nearly jumped out the window to get to them :3 :pac: , I went down to them and they came running over to me purring mad :3 and they let me rub them and they were rolling on there backs and then I found a stick and was playing with and they were mad trying to catch the stick :3:D, they were lying by a pole that had white cloth on it and then they started pawing at that and kicking it :3 made my day!

https://i.imgur.com/2TiHQhf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9Ss9gm9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MHDgi58.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f7dYQdN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7KnJ0le.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1hemQri.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the "Lyric that will give a song away." thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Needed to buy a rain jacket as I didn’t have one, all my other coats are good for cold but not rain. I said I’d have a look in Superdry as they were having a sale. Got a lovely jacket that should’ve been €95 for €56. Bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Needed to buy a rain jacket as I didn’t have one, all my other coats are good for cold but not rain. I said I’d have a look in Superdry as they were having a sale. Got a lovely jacket that should’ve been €95 for €56. Bargain!

I bought a jacket from them yesterday that was marked down from 160 to 80 plus an extra 20% off with a coupon code. well happy.

Blinded by the Light was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭storker

Youngest daughter (13) came in to say goodnight. "Give the old man a hug" says I. She did, saying "You're not old."

Brilliant. Made my night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My friend's cheeky brother made a song up about/for me and sang it to me last night. He more plagiarised bits of a coldplay and nick cave song actually. I'm sure they'd be honoured though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Meeting a cat I christened "Italian Kitty" while away in Italy for my brothers wedding, I got to play with them for a good hour until they lost interest, my mam called me "Oh look K at whats outside the window" and there was a beautiful kitty sitting down looking up at us, well I nearly jumped out the window to get to them :3 :pac: , I went down to them and they came running over to me purring mad :3 and they let me rub them and they were rolling on there backs and then I found a stick and was playing with and they were mad trying to catch the stick :3:D, they were lying by a pole that had white cloth on it and then they started pawing at that and kicking it :3 made my day!

https://i.imgur.com/2TiHQhf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9Ss9gm9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MHDgi58.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f7dYQdN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7KnJ0le.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1hemQri.jpg

So cute, playful and stretchy!!! :D Hope you had a great trip Sephers

• Advertisement

Spending time with my brothers. :)

Going to Portugal on Friday for a family wedding

Absolutely . Now others need to follow suit , ban the horror from Dubrovnik and Nice and other ports too . They are a menace in my opinion

All those folk who cannot see these wonderful places... They are there for all us not to be mothballed. A shame

Graces7 wrote: »
    All those folk who cannot see these wonderful places... They are there for all us not to be mothballed. A shame

Do you mean those on the cruise liners ? Of course they see Venice or Dubrovnik but the cruise ships can dock elsewhere . They dont have to dock right in the cities

This weather makes me very happy ( we have for once been spared the lightning and the worst of the deluges) A wild fresh wind that has blown the humidity away.. sitting abed here with the door wide open revelling in it.... walked down the field with my usual feline entourage, picking the first home blackberries to add to the (shop bought ) strawbs marinating in sugar for jam. ate my total home crop last week.. TWO berries! Such intense flavour..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Do you mean those on the cruise liners ? Of course they see Venice or Dubrovnik but the cruise ships can dock elsewhere . They dont have to dock right in the cities

EXACTLY!! These places have been visited for years without having giant floating hotels vomiting people into them while being anchored in canals and harbours designed for waaaay smaller vessels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

Viennesse biscuits made with vanilla butter icing dipped in chocolate......waiting for the chocolate to set.....chicks are drooling....well happy I am with my effort.

gifted wrote: »
    Viennesse biscuits made with vanilla butter icing dipped in chocolate......waiting for the chocolate to set.....chicks are drooling....well happy I am with my effort.

Recipe immediately, please!!

MY TH: I ordered a hardback book online a while back, it was on special offer. I collected it today, and when I opened it it turned out to be a first edition, and signed by the author, too!! \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »
    EXACTLY!! These places have been visited for years without having giant floating hotels vomiting people into them while being anchored in canals and harbours designed for waaaay smaller vessels.

I was in Venice last year, having not visited for almost 20 years, and the cruise ships were appalling. There is no need for them to dock right up to the main islands.

Delighted to hear they are to be banned.

Venice now compared to what it was 20 years ago is like a theme-park version of itself, IMO. But that should be something for the TA thread, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

Putting on a new pair of trainers and doing my longest run ever (by just a little bit)..not bad considering the wind and rain, it rained for every second of it..

Going to the bar now to celebrate and watch the gaelic football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Emptying out a press here earlier , the "medicine " press myah , anyhow , found an envelope with twenty euro in it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Yesterday my daughter with special needs asked if she could go to the Disney Store for her birthday in October. She has no idea that in fact she will be going to Disneyland Paris! Trying to decide how we will tell her!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eurozonelady

Ice cubes in a drink when it´s a really really hot day and you´re sweating and gasping!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Knine wrote: »
    Yesterday my daughter with special needs asked if she could go to the Disney Store for her birthday in October. She has no idea that in fact she will be going to Disneyland Paris! Trying to decide how we will tell her!

That is so beautiful.
    I hope that she and all of you have a brilliant time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement