Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 2 - The Happyning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Graces7 wrote: »
    Grand re the bees but why kill the wasps? They pollinate too, and they are dying anyways,. :(

Wasps raid the honeybee colonies which is another part of their decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wasps raid the honeybee colonies which is another part of their decline.

ah the poor things. I used to feed them... jam etc. Would feed any critter in need

Odd; never seen a wasp on the island. massive number of bees...

ah the poor things. I used to feed them... jam etc. Would feed any critter in need

Odd; never seen a wasp on the island. massive number of bees...

Wasps here at the moment are on death mode. Can't count the amount of stings I've taken last few days. Seems when Autumn is near they just go crazy. So do you live on a smaller Island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Wasps here at the moment are on death mode. Can't count the amount of stings I've taken last few days. Seems when Autumn is near they just go crazy. So do you live on a smaller Island?

Ya, wasps in 'death mode' and also slightly drunk due to eating fermenting fruit as well.

Sorry re the stings.. OUCH! Yes offshore west coast island . There is a big old fuchsia by my gate that is always filled with bees. But seemingly no wasps...

Used to trade at street markets and at this season customers would perform the "wasp dance"! So I would open a jar of jam and put it a way away from the stall.. worked a treat. No stings... NB must start putting that out for the bees soon too.. Thank you for reminding me!

The first cold spell will end it for them.

Sorry re the stings.. OUCH! Yes offshore west coast island . There is a big old fuchsia by my gate that is always filled with bees. But seemingly no wasps...

Used to trade at street markets and at this season customers would perform the "wasp dance"! So I would open a jar of jam and put it a way away from the stall.. worked a treat. No stings... NB must start putting that out for the bees soon too.. Thank you for reminding me!

The first cold spell will end it for them.

Heh I'm jealous of your lifestyle. I've never been to the smaller islands but seen pictures of them and always dreamed of living on one. Well done you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Strictly is back ... Oh to be able to dance like those professional!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

honeybear wrote: »
    Strictly is back ... Oh to be able to dance like those professional!

Then wouldn't you be a professional dancer yourself? :confused:

Not TH, but sisters! I’ve lots of them but get on super with them all. Arrived home to find my beautiful pooch groomed and looking like a baby (she’s 8). Two of my sisters had gorgeous pressies for me. Where would we be without sisters?

Heh I'm jealous of your lifestyle. I've never been to the smaller islands but seen pictures of them and always dreamed of living on one. Well done you!

It is a life like no other, believe me! Not my first island as I was up in the North Sea a decade. But what I longed for and now have.

Another Sunday today! Happy that every day is Sunday for me.. debating about an early berry picking walk... maybe, maybe not .. windy out there but as long as it is dry.

• Advertisement

Chilled and weary but very, very happy to have been a berry picking walk in the windy rain! There is a beauty here even in this weather, and a second day indoors was unthinkably stultifying.

Watching the mizzle drift in over the ocean, and the cobwebs drizzle draped and white... utterly lovely.

Even managed to do my weekly check on the Church so all is well and a few more pounds of blackberries safe in. They are not ripening fully with the lack of sunshine but the flavour is intense.

The last hundred yards was.... interesting... and the driveway a slow progress But it was done!
    Step by slow step with the reward of bed and hot coffee to come..

So snug and getting warm and very happy and content. Alleluia!

and the dwelling is filled with the evocative aroma of blackberry jam.. another three pounds to add to the harvest. mmmm!

all done in but happy with it! Just me and knitting and youtube now... what utter luxury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

My London boss has agreed to give me a reference for my promotion interviews.
    She was the last person in the world I would have thought would put herself out for me.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I spent HOURS traipsing across the city trying to find a decent cobblers to fix a badly damaged pair of Jimmy Choos that I need for a wedding in 3 weeks time.

First crowd and quoted as “the best designer shoe repair shop in the U.K.” basically took one look and gave me a “computer says no” response. Then onto Jimmy Choo who told me they’d send them to Italy and I’d get them back in “about ten weeks”. Second place then was filthy, dodgy as hell and quoted me 150 quid and wanted me to leave the shoes there til they could verify next week whether they could fix them or not. No thanks.

Finally I took a long train to the far north of the city and found this lovely family run cobblers which was so quaint and pretty on the inside. The cobbler was a real true-blue tradesman and he gave me coffee, spent 10 mins assessing the damage and told me they’d have them fixed in 2 weeks just in time for the wedding.

Honestly after a nightmare day meeting lovely competent people like this really made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Also. Anyone ever just sit on a park bench on their own and people watch for a few hours? During a sunny weekend day it’s the most joyful thing in the world.

There’s a dad playing football with his toddler in front of me, and a dog playing catch behind me. The little boy just ran over shouting “puppy” and the dog rolled around in the grass as he patted him. Pure joy.

bitofabind wrote: »
    Also. Anyone ever just sit on a park bench on their own and people watch for a few hours? During a sunny weekend day it’s the most joyful thing in the world.

There’s a dad playing football with his toddler in front of me, and a dog playing catch behind me. The little boy just ran over shouting “puppy” and the dog rolled around in the grass as he patted him. Pure joy.

Ah takes me back to Killarney and watching folk feeding the ducks and exercising their dogs at Ross Castle.and the coach tour folks and lake tours... Great fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Out for my walk this morning, I spotted what I thought was an injured bird on the road. It turned out to be two male robins fighting. I have heard of it happening, but never saw it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have a lovely homemade and nutrient packed lunch in the fridge for work tomorrow.
    Ditto for tonight :)

To thine own self be true

Nice visitors yesterday & today

• Advertisement

The flowers on my prayer table... in a tall white mug, small marigolds and dog daisies and some bright yellow wild flowers that rejoice in the name of bog asphodel..

Also it is two years to the day since I abandoned the mainland and, with three cranky cats and a loud dog ( they sang all the way from the old place in the car) , boarded the ferry. Dog astonished me and impressed the farmer/ferryman by trotting onto the ferry as to the manner born! Bless her!

Smoke curling from the chimney, and three stalwart islanders unloading my stuff from the trailer. All the help I needed was to hand. A table full of candles and torches etc,

Then five months with no ESB ( a council mess) then 2 more with no internet and complications of all kinds..all sorted.

Settled here and loving it more and more. Peace and privacy... a people and a life like no other. Help if I need it which I rarely do, respecting neighbours, and no intrusion else. A simple life.

Oh a few weeks ago I was talking to an old islander neighbour.. " So you are staying? Not going back to the mainland?"

After two years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Kerrygold shortbread biscuits. Amazing :D

Ah Graces7, two years is no time at all! After being educated here, getting a job, my own place, I still used to be asked "do you ever think about going back to England", this about 25 years after I came over.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Getting good feedback and praise from a supervisor at work. I’m helping to organise an open day and I’m being made feel very appreciated and valued. I’ve had some good ideas and my supervisor has let me know that they’re really good. Such a simple thing but it’s made me feel so motivated and revitalised after a difficult few months at work. I can’t wait for this open day, it’s gonna be awesome.

Also yesterday was my ten year anniversary in my career. Not sure where that decade has gone :pac:

madmaggie wrote: »
    Ah Graces7, two years is no time at all! After being educated here, getting a job, my own place, I still used to be asked "do you ever think about going back to England", this about 25 years after I came over.

lol.. I have been in Ireland nearly 20 years now!

When I first found the island here and talked to the ferryman I had to give my Irish ancestry! Oh and that I had lived a decade on a far more exposed and remote island... The man was so relieved! " So you know about island life!"

I think many come here then leave when winter hits! My first winter here was a test indeed... He once told a visitor " We soon realised that this one was not soft, a bit tough." ! The greatest compliment I have ever had....

But I am and remain so blessed to be here. Lived in North Mayo my first few months in Ireland and had longed to return. The most lovely part of Ireland; wild and clear

Off to pick berries!

Getting good feedback and praise from a supervisor at work. I’m helping to organise an open day and I’m being made feel very appreciated and valued. I’ve had some good ideas and my supervisor has let me know that they’re really good. Such a simple thing but it’s made me feel so motivated and revitalised after a difficult few months at work. I can’t wait for this open day, it’s gonna be awesome.

Also yesterday was my ten year anniversary in my career. Not sure where that decade has gone :pac:

We need a CAKE! With candles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The incredible growth of my climbing roses since I started fertilising them with coffee grounds.

The ornate cream and gold ceiling of Middle St. Synagogue in Brighton which I'll visit in 2020 when I do a tour of the Uk to catch up with a few friends and relatives. I just saw a phito an FB friend took while lying on the floor looking up at the sybagogue ceiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Heading off to a primary school to talk senior Infants on a Nature walk. I love these sessions. Kids are fantastic and keep us all young.

The sheer comfort of a good turf fire when the wind chill is creeping into the very bones and marrow, stealing any warmth. First since March and very welcome indeed.. Cats are curling up by it and all is well .. happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m delirah that there’s a new Bill Burr special up on Netflix for me to devour this evening. Om nyom nyom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Happy that after my first day back at college I’m feeling motivated and able to tackle what this year is going to throw at me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Planted up some Autumn flower pots with pansies , cyclamen and a bit of trailing greenery . They look so fresh and colourful and Autumny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m very amused that the Biscuit Tournament thread has a mod warning in the first post. :D People take biscuits very seriously, it seems. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm TAed I didn't know there was such a thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

New Home wrote: »
    I'm TAed I didn't know there was such a thread!

Enter at your peril NH !

It's a dangerous thread :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've noticed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

When I put my hand into the crisps bag and grab a big bunch of crisps in a perfect shape that's just right for my gob.....no spillage or cracking of pieces of crisps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

gifted wrote: »
    When I put my hand into the crisps bag and grab a big bunch of crisps in a perfect shape that's just right for my gob.....no spillage or cracking of pieces of crisps

When I see a picture of perfectly cooked sausage rolls and can nearly taste them and then a picture of Rocky road :D I don't even eat sausage rolls I just want the pastry :D

Autosport wrote: »
    When I see a picture of perfectly cooked sausage rolls and can nearly taste them and then a picture of Rocky road :D I don't even eat sausage rolls I just want the pastry :D

Bet you'll eat my sausage roll....lol lol

Sorry Auto....couldn't resist that lol lol

The thing with the sausageroll meat is it can have rubbery bits your teeth bounce off. I found these spiced white pudding version of sausage rolls in the local shop. They're never gritty and a bit TH.

Th making elderberry syrup and apple and blackberry tart from fruit from my own garden and hedgerow.

Today I decided to make an effort. Put on some make up, and got the hair cut and coloured. I'm fed up looking like a dog's dinner. And I feel great.

• Advertisement

happy that the long loud night is nearly over even though we seem to have a long loud day ahead! For hot water flowing free after the fire was lit, and for the confirmation of fuel supplies coming in. This time last year I was still able to go over and shop so this has been of concern.

Happy hoping I can replace my (cheap as in dealz!) reading glasses as mine are falling apart! Not sure how yet....

happy days! happy that today the dwelling will be fragrant with blackberry jam and rose hip syrup again..generous hedges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

happy thst its 40 minutes to home time. long busy 2nd night and tired this morning. 2 more nights ahead of me but sure after a few hours sleep I'll crack on:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The sun's shining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

The moon is like a big torch in the sky tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

Not trivial but, my son. God I love that wee boy so much. :)

First time in 26 years that the full moon has fallen on Friday the 13th. That is, it's 98% full tonight.

On way home from dinner in Limerick. The city looks so pretty in this brilliant white moonlight. Happy out! Nightol!

PS. Friday the 13th is lucky for me, as are black cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

A friend trusts me enough to ask me to babysit her toddler tomorrow.

I had to turn her down cos I have a doctors appointment but still, someone trusts me with their tiny human.

Also fully owning the fact that I’m now firmly in the broody stage of life :D

Very happy that through the wonders of email and the timing ie on a delivery day, I got my broken reading glasses replaced yesterday.

Also very happy that I did not yet order hyacinths and snowdrops and narcissi as the pharmacy were very much more expensive than dealz and cannot do both.... narrow squeak that was!

Went over 3000 posts on Boards.....happy and rubbing hands while waiting to get my cheque from them............lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

gifted wrote: »
    Went over 3000 posts on Boards.....happy and rubbing hands while waiting to get my cheque from them............lol lol

You'll have stumps for hands if you keep rubbing your hands waiting for it.

TH the weekend is almost here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement