Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here overpaying an Ulster Bank mortgage?

Options
  • 25-03-2018 6:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

The wife and I are considering overpaying our Ulster Bank mortgage. I know the actual process of overpaying can vary a little from Bank to bank so curious if anyone has done it with UB. In our experience UB are more inept than most banks so we're wary to give them opportunity to make a mess of things. Will be open to moving our mortgage when the fixed rate expires in 4 years.

I read this and there are options to overpay even on a fixed rate with caveats.

https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

The wife and I are considering overpaying our Ulster Bank mortgage. I know the actual process of overpaying can vary a little from Bank to bank so curious if anyone has done it with UB. In our experience UB are more inept than most banks so we're wary to give them opportunity to make a mess of things. Will be open to moving our mortgage when the fixed rate expires in 4 years.

I read this and there are options to overpay even on a fixed rate with caveats.

https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/mortgages/secure/mortgage-overpayment-tool.html

Yeah. It's easy. Ring them and they'll give you an account number and a reference number.
    Set this up in your internet banking and then when ever you want to pay some extra just transfer to that account. It takes about 2 days to appear on your mortgage.

I agree that they're slow and inept for most things but this bit just takes one phone call.

If youre fixed don't forget the max you can over pay in one year is 10% of the years starting balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Ulster Bank are utterly incompetent. I would move the mortgage to another bank rather than deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Ulster Bank are utterly incompetent. I would move the mortgage to another bank rather than deal with them.

yep, currently being overcharged by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Yeah. It's easy. Ring them and they'll give you an account number and a reference number.
    Set this up in your internet banking and then when ever you want to pay some extra just transfer to that account. It takes about 2 days to appear on your mortgage.

I agree that they're slow and inept for most things but this bit just takes one phone call.

If youre fixed don't forget the max you can over pay in one year is 10% of the years starting balance.

Thanks for that. Have been considering this myself so good to know.

Moved my account from BoI to UB 6 years ago. Found the app miles ahead. Not had the same issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Ulster Bank are shockingly bad. I’ve never had a decent call with them.

But overpaying your mortgage is fairly easy. I do a monthly top up, had to send in the mortgage dept a letter to state the amount and another letter if i want to change or stop the amount. I’d still prefer if I could just do this online though.

I have yet to get my mortgage account to show on my internet banking despite pestering them for about 5 years to do so. When I complained I received some small compensation for messing me around but even after all that they still didn’t add the account on. They are hard work, prepare for long phone calls.

• Advertisement

They are the ultimate mess up. It is depressing and dispiriting to deal with a business which doesn't want you as a customer. No telephone access to your branch, no phone calls returned. Such phone calls as are answered, are answered by retards who do not know anything about you or your account and recite a script made up of random phrases from Finnegan's Wake ad nauseam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

How much do you pay to be a member of ufirstgold? I presume that is all they are interested in. It is like the health service, go private or lie on a trolley in the corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I find UB grand to be honest, I definitely find their in-branch service must better than any other bank I’ve been in.

I’m a Ufirst member, €10 a month but it’s well worth it for us for the free mobile phone insurance alone

I find UB grand to be honest, I definitely find their in-branch service must better than any other bank I’ve been in.

I’m a Ufirst member, €10 a month but it’s well worth it for us for the free mobile phone insurance alone

Not sure you can get it anymore. I have it and get 25% off Ticketmaster which adds up for me.

• Advertisement

€10 a month for mobile insurance is ridiculous. I have never had mobile insurance at all.

€10 a month for mobile insurance is ridiculous. I have never had mobile insurance at all.

For the 10e a month you get mobile phone insurance, travel insurance and 25% off Ticketmaster plus other offers. It's all covered by one fee. Won't be of interest to everyone.

For the 10e a month you get mobile phone insurance, travel insurance and 25% off Ticketmaster plus other offers. It's all covered by one fee. Won't be of interest to everyone.

I wouldn't pay €10 month to an organisation that can't get the basics right. I get my travel insurance from VHI.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If I have my mortgage account in my online banking, I assume I can just transfer lump sums into it? On a variable mortgage.

antodeco wrote: »
    If I have my mortgage account in my online banking, I assume I can just transfer lump sums into it? On a variable mortgage.

I wouldn't assume anything with Ulster bank, particularly anything that might be convenient and useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It’s a joint account so €10 a month covers two phones - we’ve both had to get new phones this year so we got the value from it. As stated there’s also 25% back on Ticketmaster sales too which is handy a few times a year. The travel insurance is very basic, I got my own separately after looking through what they covered. Also there’s no other banking fees for using debit card so I’m happy enough with it

Advertisement