Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

felling a big tree

Options
  • 25-03-2018 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

any idea what it would cost to have a 30ft tall tree with 8 inch diameter trunk ?

Its in the garden but not near a house or any structures

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

RobAMerc wrote: »
    any idea what it would cost to have a 30ft tall tree with 8 inch diameter trunk ?

thanks
    Shouldn’t cost a lot!

That’s not a big tree—8” diameter trunk?
    You could cut that with a bow saw
    (not trying to be smart,)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

thanks
    Shouldn’t cost a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

invicta wrote: »
    Shouldn’t cost a lot!

Quite true, it wouldn't be difficult to fell.
    The snag might be, to drop it where you want the thing to fall. This takes a little experience.
    And, before you bring it down, think about how to dispose of it.
    Firewood for the large bits, and the smaller shredded into mulch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

it probably doesnt matter where it falls in fairness.
    Getting rid of it would be my biggest issue, thats why I'd like a pro to do it.
    Would someone do it for the firewood ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Trees are heavy. I've helped take down one that size and it was slightly terrifying.

Ring a few tree surgeons and haggle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Is it dead? Could you try and burn it down as it sits?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 David delaney

Have you got a picture of the tree and where are you based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Would someone do it for the firewood ?

I could imagine an enthusiastic amateur jumping at it - but if there's an accident on your land during a job you commissioned ....

I'd either do it myself or get a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

A tree of that height might seem easy to fell but it's very tricky. Unless you know what you're doing it could fall in any direction -- and the weight of a 30' tree will make a surprising thud and dent when it hits the ground. If you decide to get someone in make sure they have insurance -- and that they show it to you.
    If it has lower branches and you can rope them -- plus a few helpers to topple it - maybe try it .. ... but tbh it can be dangerous. We had a few 30m ones felled last year and it was completely scary. The weight and power of a falling tree is terrifying. Trees can also "kick" back as they fall and once it starts to go you have no control over it. Plus, are you completely sure it can't hit anything else as it falls?

I'd try Lumens advice first -- ring and haggle - and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Be very careful, especially if it's ash. It can split vertically and one half kick back over 6 feet. Know some one who was killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 David delaney

Have you picture of the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

My advice would be get a professional tree surgeon in to knock it.if it’s a hard drop they have the equipment and experience to do it.they will probably rope it and drop it in sections.you can pay them to knock it or to knock it ring it and block it whatever suits.all different prices obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The cost is in getting rid of the brash the logs will go quick enough. If someone will do it for the logs then sell them the tree for a euro which should pass any insurance issues over the them. Also insist that the brash is removed before any logs or you'll be left with all the mess.

I finally got around to sorting out a similar size tree from damage by Ophelia and it took me best part of a morning but I did have the rough corner of a field 200m away to dump the brash in.

ok, so I have been out trying to take a photo of it.

The problem I have is its surrounded by other trees

Which might be a problem for someone trying to fell it !

This is the best could get...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why do you want it felled and not the others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Rob, I thought it didn't matter where it landed - its right next to a fence loike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ok, so I have been out trying to take a photo of it.

The problem I have is its surrounded by other trees

Which might be a problem for someone trying to fell it !

This is the best could get...

Its a very small ash tree. Doesn't look like you can straight fell it but when I did that stuff for a living that would be a fill in job, one that you'd do if you had a couple of hours left after another job and needed work to fill the day.

Not much cost in taking it down but a tree surgeon pays the same insurance for working in 100ft high trees as he does for tiddlers like that one. So at worst it should be work for 2 guys for half a day but no way could I put a price on that nowadays.

Tree is too small for the timber to be worth anything much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I had a mental image of it being in the middle of an empty space with nothing but dandelions around it... That's much too close to a fence to tackle it yourself, and surrounded by other trees that will make access and removal a bit more difficult. No option I think but to get a professional who will have it down pretty quickly -- but I'd check the insurance -- and your own house insurance too --just in case.

Not much use to you I know but it's a good reminder for everyone else to think carefully about what you plant and where and also to remove seedlings before they get out of control. It's an innocent little sapling one minute and the next it's shading half of the garden ......

Hope you get it sorted without too much trouble or expense.

Rob, I thought it didn't matter where it landed - its right next to a fence loike.

Those fence panels are just placed there. Once its out of the way I guess it doesnt matter which way the tree falls (other than it will probably be held up by the surrounding trees )
    We intend on building a wall where the fence is and this tree is in the way.

thanks all for the info though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

The tree you intend to cut getting held up by the other nearby trees would be an accident waiting to happen with it being only a matter of time before the branches of the other tree break and send the whole lot to the ground. It might even knock over the neighboring tree and you could have an effect similar to dominoes with damage to your garden all along the way. I see no other option than to get someone willing and able to climb the tree (like a professional tree surgeon) who can cut it down with safe sized branches taken off first from the top down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Digging the foundation and taking out the roots will be a big a pain.

Advertisement