Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation for wall or ceiling mounted wifi access points

• 25-03-2018 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

I am renovating an apartment and I reckon I probably need 2 Wi-Fi access points to provide strong signal everywhere. Since I'm having fairly heavy work done anyway I'm thinking of using wall/ceiling mounted access points and bringing Ethernet wiring to them.

I saw Ubiquiti which seems to have pretty neat solutions with central management, but it seems a bit overkill for my small setup. Does anyone have any experience with there stuff?

Or any other recommendations for access points?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Bob24 wrote: »
    I am renovating an apartment and I reckon I probably need 2 Wi-Fi access points to provide strong signal everywhere. Since I'm having family heavy work done anyway I'm thinking of using wall/ceiling mounted access points and bringing Ethernet wiring to them.

I saw Ubiquiti which seems to have pretty need solutions with central management, but it seems a bit overkill for my small setup. Does anyone have any experience with there stuff?

Or any other recommendations for access points?

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN Access Point https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fO3TAb51XEC1X

You don't need to run the management software once they're set up. They're brilliant, don't even consider another brand tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN Access Point https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fO3TAb51XEC1X

You don't need to run the management software once they're set up. They're brilliant, don't even consider another brand tbh

Cheers.

What's the coverage like compared to your average mid/high end consumer Wi-FI router? Is it similar?

Also do I get it right that they are designed to provide best performance attached to the ceiling rather than wall mounted?

And last questions as I am a bit new to this kind of setup: will Wi-Fi devices seamlessly roam from one AP to the other to get the best signal when you move around the premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lostphrophet

I had a ubiquity installed glows green to show it works.as installer said. But how can you tell it actually is working. Installer said he set it up from his phone / laptop. And never gave me any disks or anything. Weird thing he said if problem the led would turn red. I turned off router its connected too and it never changed color . Its definitly wired to the router via a cat cable and powered up. Should it appear as a new or second wifi signal

Cheers.

What's the coverage like compared to your average mid/high end consumer Wi-FI router? Is it similar?

Also do I get it right that they are designed to provide best performance attached to the ceiling rather than wall mounted?

And last questions as I am a bit new to this kind of setup: will Wi-Fi devices seamlessly roam from one AP to the other to get the best signal when you move around the premises?

My installer installed on ceiling landing he said the signal comes out all angles 360 degrees. Even up into attic direction above

Cheers.

They work better on the ceiling mounted centrally but you can also wall mount them. Roaming will depend on your devices, how old they are and how well the wireless driver they use handles roaming. Modern devices will be steered to 5ghz when the signal is strong enough.

• Advertisement

I had a ubiquity installed glows green to show it works.as installer said. But how can you tell it actually is working. Installer said he set it up from his phone / laptop. And never gave me any disks or anything. Weird thing he said if problem the led would turn red. I turned off router its connected too and it never changed color . Its definitly wired to the router via a cat cable and powered up. Should it appear as a new or second wifi signal

Glowing green just means it's getting power and is configured

Cheers.

I have virgin media hub 3 didnt notice massive difference in signal as signal was pretty good allready. I love the hub 3

Ceiling centrally located in house nice even spread of signal

Apparently so i dont see the ubiquity come up as a wifi signal to be honest im wondering is it actually sending signal as if it was fitted secretly without me knowing i wouldnt even know it was wired up lol

Advertisement