Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax To Double On Vacant Properties

Options
  • 25-03-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know or is anyone aware if anything did come of this?

I remember an article previous about some talk on it

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/september-target-for-new-tax-on-vacant-properties-35983088.html

I’m just curious as to whether people would be for or against such motion?

I understand currently there is no property tax on vacant properties.

If there was a previous thread I’d appreciate a link.

Just something I’m musing / debating about with a friend at the minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

PopTarts wrote: »
    Does anyone know or is anyone aware if anything did come of this?

I remember an article previous about some talk on it

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/september-target-for-new-tax-on-vacant-properties-35983088.html

I’m just curious as to whether people would be for or against such motion?

If there was a previous thread I’d appreciate a link.

Just something I’m musing / debating about with a friend at the minute.

How do you define vacant would be my first thought? Can you move anyone in for say one month a year and then it's no longer vacant? Political posturing and being seen to be doing something is the only purpose this would serve in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Would having someone there for a month or so a year not mean you should be then paying normal rate of property tax?

I’m probably on the opposite side. I’m not sure of the number of vacant properties, especially in rent pressure zones but with there being a housing crisis is it not posing a problem that it’s lying vacant with people being pushed out of the rental market due to a lack of accommodation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭TanyGray

Would having someone there for a month or so a year not mean you should be then paying normal rate of property tax?

I’m probably on the opposite side. I’m not sure of the number of vacant properties, especially in rent pressure zones but with there being a housing crisis is it not posing a problem that it’s lying vacant with people being pushed out of the rental market due to a lack of accommodation.

I am considering leaving mine vacant until such time as I can charge market rent for it. I think it would be pretty easy to rent for a few days or find some other use for it to make it not vacant if I needed to. But it will never be rented full time again until the rent cap is of it. Just not worth the time, effort or risk of over holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think this only applies to new vacant properties or uninhabitable properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭TanyGray

testicles wrote: »
    So you're biting off your nose to spite your face then?

Protecting my investment is what it's called.
    Why on Earth would.i risk losing control of it for so little profit, especially as I don't particularly depend on the income from it. And it's increasing in value without me risking giving it away anyway.

The profit to risk element doesn't work for me at all.

Advertisement