Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How in the name of Jesus can we get a mortgage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

ligerdub wrote: »
    I just don't buy into this theory that we should be happy/content to view long working hours, huge mortgages and rents relative to take home pay, and spending huge amounts of time commuting as being just par for the course.

You are dead right. We have also seen a lot of technology come on this decade. More teleworking etc. The plan is for more and more techological advancement. Are we seeing the benefit of this technology in our family and social lives. In theory, if we were in control, we should be working less, not more.

Pragmatism. You can spend your whole life ranting on boards about how can we change the system. You can vote, campaign and slave away all you like. Nothing will change.

You need to put yourself in control,

I left a few years ago had zero savings. 9 months later I have a mortgage of 380k at 1.8% and in a much better place for my family. **** Dublin and Ireland tbh. Life is so much better when you don't have to cover the freeloaders and defaulters which are saints in Ireland.

Maybe you are happy to leave but many/most are not. There is nothing I'd hate more than to leave Ireland, it's where I want to live close to friends and family and this is how an awful lot of people feel. Now I don't or wouldn't want to live in or near Dublin either but for many they do want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bob_Marley wrote:
    Anyways, the powers that be are dead against ordinary people being able to own their own homes in the future anymore, as it makes people much harder to control and manipulate.

Is not so much the powers that be as it is the nimby objectors. Locals near me are going nuts on FB about local development because of potentially worse traffic,. They're actually the ones causing the traffic atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bob_Marley wrote:
    Anyways, the powers that be are dead against ordinary people being able to own their own homes in the future anymore, as it makes people much harder to control and manipulate.

It's a lot more complicated than 'the powers that be' pulling the strings, and more disturbing to, the truth is, they actually don't understand what's going on, they've no idea how critical economic and financial systems work, and of course there's an element of plutocratic control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They're a couple on a very average salary competing to live in the most valuable patches of land in the entire country. Its like asking to live in central London, downtown LA, Manhattan, Berlin etc... the other users are suggesting that an average couple do the average thing and live 15-20km away from oconnell st. hardly a tough ask.

The most valuable patches being the entire city?

What’s with Irish property apologists comparing a dreary small provincial city with Manhattan. It’s ludicrous. Also it’s the same argument from 2006.

Its not half your life, an hour commute to work is actually below normal for most countries. In the US a 2-2.5 hour commute is considered very normal. its an Irish attitude that spending any longer than 30 minutes getting to work is the end of the world and will cause divorce/ family ruin.

A quick google tells me the average commute in the US is 25 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have had various length commutes in the last 20 years. There has been no correlation between commute length and quality of life, when I had shorter commutes I just spent more time in work.

Lumen wrote: »
    I have had various length commutes in the last 20 years. There has been no correlation between commute length and quality of life, when I had shorter commutes I just spent more time in work.

when the journey was longer, did your 'free time' increase to?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    when the journey was longer, did your 'free time' increase to?
    There's no correlation. The most efficient lifestyle was 35 min X 2 commute by bicycle. The least efficient was when I lived 5 mins from work and drove a 40 min round trip to the gym 3 times a week.

Other factors dominate.

There's no correlation. The most efficient lifestyle was 35 min X 2 commute by bicycle. The least efficient was when I lived 5 mins from work and drove a 40 min round trip to the gym 3 times a week.

Other factors dominate.

what if others situation, hobbies, and pass times are different to yours?

what if others situation, hobbies, and pass times are different to yours?
    I'm not telling anyone how to live, I'm just relating my experiences.

Irish adults spend over 3 hours a day watching TV on average. There is not a national free time crisis, as my post count attests.

• Advertisement

I'm not telling anyone how to live, I'm just relating my experiences.

Irish adults spend over 3 hours a day watching TV on average. There is not a national free time crisis, as my post count attests.

i some what disagree there, its becoming clearly obvious to me, work and work related activities are actually increasing over time, this is becoming more evident in younger generations. you d be surprised how long people spend commuting and doing work related activities outside of actually working hours, push technology activities such as email and phone technologies are going largely unnoticed and unpaid, in my opinion of course. ive reason to believe, recently, a bill was trying to be passed through the German parliament to try stop employers from using push technologies after working hours, id obviously agree with this kind of bill.

i some what disagree there, its becoming clearly obvious to me, work and work related activities are actually increasing over time, this is becoming more evident in younger generations. you d be surprised how long people spend commuting and doing work related activities outside of actually working hours, push technology activities such as email and phone technologies are going largely unnoticed and unpaid, in my opinion of course. ive reason to believe, recently, a bill was trying to be passed through the German parliament to try stop employers from using push technologies after working hours, id obviously agree with this kind of bill.
    There's a bit of golden age thinking there.

My father left home at 6am and got back around 10pm, in the 1970s. My mother didn't work until after the divorce! :pac:

There is also more flexibility now, for many employees. Some are genuinely exploited though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

What’s with Irish property apologists comparing a dreary small provincial city with Manhattan. It’s ludicrous. Also it’s the same argument from 2006.

They're making the point that to live in desireable areas in the capital city of a wealthy country you need a certain level of income and assets, and €75KPA for a couple doesn't fit the definition.

There's a bit of golden age thinking there.

My father left home at 6am and got back around 10pm, in the 1970s. My mother didn't work until after the divorce! :pac:

There is also more flexibility now, for many employees. Some are genuinely exploited though.

another very good point alright, but i do think we need to keep some things in focus, dont forget, not too long ago, we were told we d be working less hours, largely due to the development of technologies, is this actually happening, and if not, why not, and how do we correct this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭TanyGray

another very good point alright, but i do think we need to keep some things in focus, dont forget, not too long ago, we were told we d be working less hours, largely due to the development of technologies, is this actually happening, and if not, why not, and how do we correct this?

A girl who sits beside me in work came in crying a few weeks ago. Said to me that she keeps getting emails after leaving work that require her to log in until all hours. She was definitely feeling the strain.
    I told her to do what I do. Phone off when you leave it. If anyone complains tell them you are happy to work it off hours and to let you know what hours they would like you to be available for work and agree payment for it and you will have your phone on.
    Amazing how they then turn to the people who will do it for free and leave you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

TanyGray wrote: »
    A girl who sits beside me in work came in crying a few weeks ago. Said to me that she keeps getting emails after leaving work that require her to log in until all hours. She was definitely feeling the strain.
    I told her to do what I do. Phone off when you leave it. If anyone complains tell them you are happy to work it off hours and to let you know what hours they would like you to be available for work and agree payment for it and you will have your phone on.
    Amazing how they then turn to the people who will do it for free and leave you alone.

exactly

people need to take responsibility for themselves and their own happiness / contentment

There is a middle ground between you and her though. Her situation sounds like it's gone way too for but simply turning off your phone and stamping you're feet for more money if needed to work isn't going to get you very far (especially if you are looking to further your career). Many work places like mine simply can't pay extra, it doesn't fit into the pay structure as it's salary only and there are times when you need to work late or check emails outside normal work hours. On the other hand it's very flexible so heading away at lunch on a Friday and keeping an eye on emails is considered being at work

I check emails in the evening and while on holidays all the time, I reply to an odd one if it's going to save me hassle when I get back and it doesn't bother me. I use my private phone for work and my work and private emails are refreshed together on the phone so even when checking private emails I'm also refreshing my work inbox. But as I said above, it works the other way too where I don't have to take days off for a plumber coming to the house or if I want a half day I just leave, no such thing as taking the time off.

If I stamped my feet and refused to be flexible with work you can be sure they would be less flexible with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

An area like Finglas might be realistic for the mortgage you are looking for. Not being smart, it would be one of the more affordable areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/23-the-moorings-11-12-fitzwilliam-quay-ringsend-dublin-4/3971089

2 bed with a parking space in Dublin 4 on at 290k a large element of hyperbole by the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Probably a bit late for this, and did not have time to read all replies if it has been said already....but

Stop putting Jesus on the application form to start with....:o

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    exactly

people need to take responsibility for themselves and their own happiness / contentment

since we live in the era of 'increasing worker insecurity', this is easier said than done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

There is a middle ground between you and her though. Her situation sounds like it's gone way too for but simply turning off your phone and stamping you're feet for more money if needed to work isn't going to get you very far (especially if you are looking to further your career). Many work places like mine simply can't pay extra, it doesn't fit into the pay structure as it's salary only and there are times when you need to work late or check emails outside normal work hours. On the other hand it's very flexible so heading away at lunch on a Friday and keeping an eye on emails is considered being at work

I check emails in the evening and while on holidays all the time, I reply to an odd one if it's going to save me hassle when I get back and it doesn't bother me. I use my private phone for work and my work and private emails are refreshed together on the phone so even when checking private emails I'm also refreshing my work inbox. But as I said above, it works the other way too where I don't have to take days off for a plumber coming to the house or if I want a half day I just leave, no such thing as taking the time off.

If I stamped my feet and refused to be flexible with work you can be sure they would be less flexible with me.

This is basically me. I'm happy to give a little if I get a little. At reviews etc I highlight that I'm quick to action things at stupid hours if necessary.

There is a balance though and if out of hours contact became the norm I'd argue the work/life balance point. I'm a distinctly average earner in a role where I'd earn more elsewhere, so I'll trade the odd evening/weekend contact and burst of troubleshooting for leeway and flexibility during the work week.

since we live in the era of 'increasing worker insecurity', this is easier said than done

im not really advocating someone not showing flexibility, personally im available pretty much 7 days a week and any evenings, but im paid accordingly. I dont expect my team to do it as well.

my point was that instead of people crying to someone else about their situation they need to manage it themselves and if they cant do that to their satisfaction go somewhere they think will be better.

Jobs arent for life any more, theres no reason to stay where you arent happy.

Cyrus wrote: »
    im not really advocating someone not showing flexibility, personally im available pretty much 7 days a week and any evenings, but im paid accordingly. I dont expect my team to do it as well.

my point was that instead of people crying to someone else about their situation they need to manage it themselves and if they cant do that to their satisfaction go somewhere they think will be better.

Jobs arent for life any more, theres no reason to stay where you arent happy.

and this is the point of 'increasing worker insecurity', this is more prevalent for younger generations, and is unsustainable in the longer term, as our major financial commitments, such as mortgages etc are conducted over the long term. we have a tendency to think life is black or white in these situations, but for various reasons, moving from job to job just isnt viable for some, from time to time.

Johngoose wrote: »
    An area like Finglas might be realistic for the mortgage you are looking for. Not being smart, it would be one of the more affordable areas.

That's the second smart post I've seen indicating that living in finglas would require driving a mustang out for Petrol wearing a leather jacket and calling yourself mad max, grow up for Fook sake. Like most suburbs there's shyte parts but equally there are lovely estates too. The apartments this poster might consider are nice too, it's not Moy ross for gods sake.

rusty cole wrote: »
    That's the second smart post I've seen indicating that living in finglas would require driving a mustang out for Petrol wearing a leather jacket and calling yourself mad max, grow up for Fook sake. Like most suburbs there's shyte parts but equally there are lovely estates too. The apartments this poster might consider are nice too, it's not Moy ross for gods sake.

i dont think the post was smart at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

rusty cole wrote: »

Get the irony of taking offence to Finglas being slighted & then saying "it's not Moyross"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The houses in the nice parts of Finglas shift very fast and significantly over the asking price. When we looked at houses I viewed a good few houses in all parts of Finglas and checked up on them months later on the PPR. It was scary for how much some of them sold.
    There are a few corners of Finglas where you really don't want to buy in. The rest, like everywhere else, reflects with stiff competition.

Remember one viewing in late 2016 of a house close to the Garda station, it was in some state, it was only really 2 small bedrooms with an extension for a granny room with bathroom. It sold 65k over the asking and that wasn't in one of the super fancy parts.

It's definitely worth looking there, personally I think it's a nice and convenient area but you need to do your homework regarding what areas to really avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kim365

GingerLily wrote: »
    The poster above you suggested boombridge, a good bit nearer then monasterevin. There's definitely a middle ground between Dublin CC and Kildare!!

Commuting is very hard if you have young family because you have to take days off for everything. I moved out of Dublin few years back because I could nt afford a back garden in Lucan where I was living at the time and it was the peak of housing boom.
    I was lucky I got moved with decentralisation after few years of commuting and now back to working in Dublin, although my kids are a bit grown but I must confess it is hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

kim365 wrote: »
    GingerLily wrote: »
    The poster above you suggested boombridge, a good bit nearer then monasterevin. There's definitely a middle ground between Dublin CC and Kildare!!

Commuting is very hard if you have young family because you have to take days off for everything. I moved out of Dublin few years back because I could nt afford a back garden in Lucan where I was living at the time and it was the peak of housing boom.
    I was lucky I got moved with decentralisation after few years of commuting and now back to working in Dublin, although my kids are a bit grown but I must confess it is hard.

Even if you live in parts D4 or D6 though you'd probably have a lot of the same issues with a young family and working in the CC.

Advertisement