Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How in the name of Jesus can we get a mortgage?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

GingerLily wrote: »
    Even if you live in parts D4 or D6 though you'd probably have a lot of the same issues with a young family and working in the CC.
    Right. When I was living in D15 I almost traded "up" to place in Terenure, and whilst it was OK for cycling, by foot/car/public transport it probably look as long to reach the city centre as it did for me cycling from D15 (35 mins). The school was a good 10 minute walk, and driving that route would have been a nightmare.

It's not all fun and games inside M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    Right. When I was living in D15 I almost traded "up" to place in Terenure, and whilst it was OK for cycling, by foot/car/public transport it probably look as long to reach the city centre as it did for me cycling from D15 (35 mins). The school was a good 10 minute walk, and driving that route would have been a nightmare.

It's not all fun and games inside M50.

If anything the commuter belt just outside the M50 usually has more direct public transport routes to town with trains and 24hr bus lanes etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Eamon Dunphys podcast Stand had Michael O Flynn on this week. Good discussion on what is wrong and how we got here. Interestingly he was pushing for saying we need to make houses cheaper to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Get the irony of taking offence to Finglas being slighted & then saying "it's not Moyross"?

I'm from Limerick and living in Dublin years. I've worked in deprived parts of Limerick, I've worked in deprived parts of Dublin, and I done a stint in Knocknaheeny in Cork. Let me tell all you people who have never been to Limerick, Dublin has waaaay deeper problems, way way deeper, and always has. For those that turn your backs on these kids you should be ashamed of yerselves. That poster hasn't a clue what they are on about.

Finglas has some very decent people trying to raise their kids as best they can, and comments like that from this poster only serve to alienate vulnerable people further. What a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

myshirt wrote: »
    I'm from Limerick and living in Dublin years. I've worked in deprived parts of Limerick, I've worked in deprived parts of Dublin, and I done a stint in Knocknaheeny in Cork. Let me tell all you people who have never been to Limerick, Dublin has waaaay deeper problems, way way deeper, and always has. For those that turn your backs on these kids you should be ashamed of yerselves. That poster hasn't a clue what they are on about.

Finglas has some very decent people trying to raise their kids as best they can, and comments like that from this poster only serve to alienate vulnerable people further. What a clown.

If you mean Mickiemcfist then I don't think you get the point he is making. He has made no social commentary on either place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Eamon Dunphys podcast Stand had Michael O Flynn on this week. Good discussion on what is wrong and how we got here. Interestingly he was pushing for saying we need to make houses cheaper to buy.

Did he have any solutions on how to make that happen? Tom Parlon of CIF has repeatedly blamed the building regulations for making property too expensive, blaming parking spots in apartment buildings for costing 100k each, blaming dual aspect apartments, blaming the size requirements, etc.

Guaranteed apartments won't drop 100k in price if the requirement to include underground parking is abandoned. The market dictates the price and if they can chip away at the building regulations, they can pocket the difference.

What I'd like to see is a comparison to another country in terms of costs, margins, etc. and show where Ireland is failing in terms of the price of new homes. That can then identify where the focus should be on trying to reduce the cost and do a sensitivity analysis on the impact of potential changes to regulations on those already identified costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Havent got a chance to look at all the replies but looking forward to it

Advertisement