Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord has sent a fixed term agreement randomly

Options
  • 25-03-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I'll explain the situation as best I can to avoid confusion

So I've been renting an apartment since september 2012.

In 2016 a new property management co. took over the management of the apartments and in september 2016 I signed a fixed term agreement with them for 1 year.

The fixed term contract I received then states that on expiration of the contract, the tenancy can continue by:

1. Further fixed term by mutual agreement
    2. By myself serving notice to claim part 4
    3. In absence of agreement tenancy will continue as part 4

In august 2017 I let their agent who I deal with know by email that I'd like to continue the tenancy past the agreement under part 4. They acknowledged this email and said they'd send out a new contract in september (nothing about fixed term). They did not do this and I presumed they were happy to leave it with no contract.

So today after 6 months without that I randomly received a fixed term contract for 6 months starting 1 March with a post-it asking to read sign and send back.

I don't mind the tenancy conditions as they're standard stuff but I am concerned agreeing to another fixed term may affect my part 4 security as I would like to stay here for the forseeable future.

Can anyone advise my best approach to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your part 4 rights exist in addition to the fixed term lease, likely the agent didn't get around to sending it out on time, and now trying to back-fill. If you want to stay there, it might be worth broaching a year long fixed lease instead (as theoretically they could evict you in ~5 months anyway, depending on exact dates, on the current part 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

astrofool wrote: »
    Your part 4 rights exist in addition to the fixed term lease, likely the agent didn't get around to sending it out on time, and now trying to back-fill. If you want to stay there, it might be worth broaching a year long fixed lease instead (as theoretically they could evict you in ~5 months anyway, depending on exact dates, on the current part 4).

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if i can get a hand figuring out where I stand in relation to my current part 4.

Advertisement