Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty screen on a mobile phone

Options
  • 25-03-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

My phone's screen failed after a couple of weeks and I brought it back to the shop.

I had not broken the screen myself and was very confident of a replacement.

With one quick look at the screen they told me I must have broken it myself and when I looked it seemed obvious I must have,.

The pattern visible on the screen (when I switched it on ) seemed to look like the glass was shattered but when I got home I could see it was not -no damage to the glass itself.

This is just a dumb Nokia 150 that cost 40€ with a small screen .

Is it possible for a user to break a screen without actually damaging the glass itself?

Should I take the phone back to where I bought it or are they going to say that I must have sat on it or somehow put excessive pressure on the screen without actually breaking it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

amandstu wrote: »
    Is it possible for a user to break a screen without actually damaging the glass itself?

yes absolutely. and very common too.
    Should I take the phone back to where I bought it or are they going to say that I must have sat on it or somehow put excessive pressure on the screen without actually breaking it?

Screens break all the time. The cost of this phone is €40. It costs you nothing to go back the the point of purchase and tell them you reckon it broke by itself.
    Tell them you really dont think you caused it & see what reception you get.

however bring €40 with you because chances are you will have to buy a replacement phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭amandstu

yes absolutely. and very common too.

Screens break all the time. The cost of this phone is €40. It costs you nothing to go back the the point of purchase and tell them you reckon it broke by itself.
    Tell them you really dont think you caused it & see what reception you get.

however bring €40 with you because chances are you will have to buy a replacement phone.

Thanks. Still ,if the pattern on the screen that is still visible seems to centre on a single point (similar to what it would look like if the glass was actually shattered) would that not indicate that I had applied strong pressure to that point somehow? (without noticing at the time)

Would that be a common occurrence ? Would it be an indication of faulty manufacture?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Would it be an indication of faulty manufacture?

No, everything you've said points to this being accidental damage, and not a manufacturing defect. Possibly keys or coins in your pocket, banging it against a desk or chair while walking past, etc. I've done that with a screen, just barely tapped against the corner of a desk, but the screen cracked inside. The outside plastic screen was fine, but the actual screen is glass and much more brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭amandstu

No, everything you've said points to this being accidental damage, and not a manufacturing defect. Possibly keys or coins in your pocket, banging it against a desk or chair while walking past, etc. I've done that with a screen, just barely tapped against the corner of a desk, but the screen cracked inside. The outside plastic screen was fine, but the actual screen is glass and much more brittle.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement