Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc freezing

Options
  • 25-03-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

Hi all I built a gaming Pc for a friends son and after 30 mins it is locking up cursor won’t move then I get no signal from the monitor. I have tried a fresh install of win 10 but no joy. I have ran memtestx86 for 4 hours no errors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Try it with one stick of ram, test both separately.

Is it freezing when it's under pressure, or does even the desktop get lockups?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Try it with one stick of ram, test both separately.

Is it freezing when it's under pressure, or does even the desktop get lockups?
    it is freezing even when I was trying to install the drivers after the fresh install so defo not under load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah definitely try with single sticks of ram first of all to rule that out.

Does it stay running when the lockup happens, just no signal, or does it actually restart or turn off?

Yeah definitely try with single sticks of ram first of all to rule that out.

Does it stay running when the lockup happens, just no signal, or does it actually restart or turn off?
    No it stays running

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Take out the GPU and use the onboard graphics

• Advertisement

Take out the GPU and use the onboard graphics
    What makes you a think gpu. I honestly have been pushing towards the psu. I choose a Corsair psu but it was out of stock .overclockers suggested the unit I got and tbh I took them on there word and the fact that it’s 80 bronze but I can’t find a whole lot online about them

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

massy086 wrote: »
    What makes you a think gpu. I honestly have been pushing towards the psu. I choose a Corsair psu but it was out of stock .overclockers suggested the unit I got and tbh I took them on there word and the fact that it’s 80 bronze but I can’t find a whole lot online about them

Don't suppose its a KoLink PSU?

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Don't suppose its a KoLink PSU?
    Yes the 600w why do you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

massy086 wrote: »
    Yes the 600w why do you ask

Cheap chinese capacitor PSU, probably nowhere near 600w.

ye that was my thinking too . Do you think I would be as good picking up a Corsair 450 and trying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭techdiver

See this thread. It's to do with z370 Intel boards but there could be a correlation with the RAM issue specific to asrock.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6860&PN=1&title=z370-extreme4-xmp-bug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kolink are a good budget brand, no worse really than the low-end EVGA or Corsair units.

I've used a ton of them and never had any issues. While I wouldn't obviously run it close to max capacity, should be well capable of sustaining 450W....but the PC in the OP would only use about 170w under 100% load.

That said an actual faulty PSU isn't impossible but it does sound more like RAM/Motherboard/GPU.

Advertisement