Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-bluing shotgun barrel

Options
  • 25-03-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Need to get my barrels re-blued after a spot of rust damage. Can anyone recommend anyone to do it. My RFD is adamant they have to go to England to be done properly but I need a fast turn around time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Gerry Gearon in Clonmel used do them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The reason he is saying they have to go to England is because they will have to be slow rust blued, they can be blued quickly in a hot bath however the solution will eat into the solder of the barrels which is terrible as a rib could eventually come loose which will amount to a lot of work to fix it or it could allow moisture in between the barrels which would cause them to rust from inside the rib to the centre which i have also seen.
    So id make sure whoever it is thats is going to do it is going to slow rust blue them rather than hot bluing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You could get them Dura coated..It's just as good as blueing these days and is impervious to anything.Talk to gunhappy.ie here.I've seen some of his work on a SXS with a dura coat gun blue and you would be very hard pressed to tell it from the real thing.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I see small arms services in cork offer the duracoating process. Some of the pics on Facebook look fantastic. Would the duracoat be just as good as factory bluing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I see small arms services in cork offer the duracoating process. Some of the pics on Facebook look fantastic. Would the duracoat be just as good as factory bluing ?

Yeah it would very durable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Luckysasha wrote: »

Mods please delete if not allowed.

Lucky, I own/run Small Arms Services.

We're Ireland's (and Europe's more specifically) only certified DuraCoat and Cerakote Applicator. I am also a qualified Armourer working with a RFD to keep everything legal and above board.

DuraCoat is designed from day one to be used with firearms and it is not a spin off product from another industry. Unlike other coatings it works well on many materials like metal, plastics and even wood.

What DuraCoat offers is resistance to corrosion,chemicals,heat,abrasion and impact. Its built in flexibility also aids in its resistance to cracking and chipping. These properties cover all the DuraCoat paints last I checked there was over 250 ! We carry 30+ Colours currently with many colours being in stock constantly. We can refinish a shotgun barrel to look like a high gloss factory blue, rifles can be brought to factory new with a semigloss black and we carry colours to do complete camouflage patterns.

DuraCoat also have a product called DuraBlue that mimics the deep luster of traditional bluing. Having used this product the past year I have to say that it mimics a very high end bluing job. If anyone is unsure about traditional bluing there is a high degree of prep-work involved to get a very high gloss. All parts need to be mirror polished prior to bluing and that is time consuming/costly for the average shotgun. Using a dedicated spray gun we can layer DuraBlue thicker on areas of high wear (so you get more use out of the gun) and thinner on areas where there are close tolerances. Like traditional bluing if the surface is heavily pitted this shows up very badly after refinishing. To give a perfect mirror finish we can either fill these in at extra cost or you can pick a different colour that's not as glossy.

DuraBlue has all of the same properties listed above none of the drawbacks as Juice described. One of our selling points is that because of DuraCoats chemical resistance it is not effected by blood or sweat like traditional bluing. We like to think of DuraBlue as Tradition meets Evolution !

As to how durable it is: We believe is it far more abrasive resistant than standard bluing and still has huge benefits as regards chemical resistance.

Advertisement