Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Bellew

• 25-03-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭

I've never had this explained before, so maybe one of you here can, how is it Adonis Stevenson was able knocks seven bells out of him, where as Haye, who i assume hits much harder, wasn't able to. I know Haye missed alot, but even still he landed some clean punches on Bellew and Bellew took them. Is it that at the higher weight Bellew has much better punch resistance, where as against Stevenson he was weight drained, therefore not able to take the punches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bellew at 175 was simply beaten up by a very powerful and athletic and fast Stevenson..Bellew at 175 was a much smaller man than his 200 + lbs flabby appearance vs. Haye...plus, Stevenson landed clean and consistently. Haye didn’t, and was injured as well...

Oh, and it’s very likely that his getting to 175 was quite a struggle. That is documented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Haye fought with one leg

A fit Haye would have ko'd him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

I had read a few days before Haye was carrying a leg injury into the fight. To me that appeared to be true as he looked absolutely woeful. His punching mechanics looked way off to me, I expected Haye to flatten Bellew in that one.

Can't call the rematch but if Haye is fully fit he should be able to get him out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Boooourns

weemcd wrote: »
    I had read a few days before Haye was carrying a leg injury into the fight. To me that appeared to be true as he looked absolutely woeful. His punching mechanics looked way off to me, I expected Haye to flatten Bellew in that one.

Can't call the rematch but if Haye is fully fit he should be able to get him out of there.

Think there's rumours of an eye injury already. I'm convinced Hayes body is not up to it anymore, he'll retire soon, probably after this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

weemcd wrote: »

He made ****e of his Achilles in the fight?

• Advertisement

He made ****e of his Achilles in the fight?

It was rumoured he was seen coming out of a German hospital on crutches a few weeks before the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Aye. I think there's a fairly good chance he went into that fight with the damaged leg. Tried to get Bellew out early with massive hooks and abandoned all boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Boooourns wrote: »
    It was rumoured he was seen coming out of a German hospital on crutches a few weeks before the fight.

Ah fair enough, the post just read like someone that hadn't watched the fight. No offense to weemcd, I enjoy his posts here, just the way I read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Tony Bellew is the most overrated boxer of the sky Sports era. He is only fighting Haye because he needed to avoid the Cruiserweight Super series.
    I Still shudder at the thoughts of his PPV fight against Cleverly.

Tony Bellew is the most overrated boxer of the sky Sports era. He is only fighting Haye because he needed to avoid the Cruiserweight Super series.
    I Still shudder at the thoughts of his PPV fight against Cleverly.

He played the game very well though, he knew himself how limited he was so he just talked his way into bigger fights and got numbers up by running his mouth off, the sky sports boxing fans lapped it up.
    He's no fool in the ring in fairness to him but he's certainty avoiding the top lads at cruiserweight but he's making alot of money along the way which he has clearly said is his main objective to secure his familys future.
    Does my head in at times but he does genuinely love his boxing and he can call a fight unlike some of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tony Bellew is the most overrated boxer of the sky Sports era.

I'd throw in Crolla and Burns ahead of him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    I'd throw in Crolla and Burns ahead of him....

Crolla and Burns don't headline multiple PPVs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Fast Eddie has done a great job promoting his fighters. Guys like Bellew, Crolla, the Smiths, Whyte, and many others have made a great living exceeding their earning cability under his promotion. Well done to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Fast Eddie has done a great job promoting his fighters. Guys like Bellew, Crolla, the Smiths, Whyte, and many others have made a great living exceeding their earning cability under his promotion. Well done to them.

He is a genuine boxing fan too. That just about makes his smugness bearable.

Advertisement