Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First non-stop service from Australia to UK begins

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Emirates allowed smoking as late as 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

2000 LDY - STN with Ryanair. Smoked like a trooper with a Spanish Captain that chained smoked the entire flight on the flight deck. Ah them were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anywhere allow smoking nowadays out of interest? While I'm not a smoker, it would be interesting to see. I have never travelled on an aircraft before the turn of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Was on a super long flight like this late last year, dubai to Auckland.. It is down as 16 hours 20 minutes but it took well over 17 hours out, and 17:30 at minimum on the way back due to an electrical storm apparently, that's what came across the intercom anyway, which we could see out the window and was pretty amazing!
    It was on the airbus 380,my god its a comfy plane, the one from Dublin to dubai wasn't as comfy, still nice but the a 380 we didn't want to get off it on the way back!

We had only 2 hour turn around time way out, so was a run through dubai Airport and straight onto the next flight, then on way back we missed the connection because someone in Auckland Airport decided to open a door they shouldn't have and the whole airside had to be evacuated and made to pass through security again, delaying every single flight out! I would happily fly anywhere any day of the week once it was on a a380... And the booze was free like last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It wasn't that unusual then IIRC. Went to Lanzarote that year, we split into two groups - the ones who wanted a smoking flight (charter) and those who didn't (EI).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Anywhere allow smoking nowadays out of interest? While I'm not a smoker, it would be interesting to see. I have never travelled on an aircraft before the turn of the century.

Think some of the Asian ex-USSR state airlines allowed it until this decade. Illegal for US or EU airlines to do so for decades now.

Anecdotally it still happens on some Chinese domestic flights but not legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It still happens on our flights unfortunately but it’s one of the benefits of having your own jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

L1011 wrote: »
    Think some of the Asian ex-USSR state airlines allowed it until this decade. Illegal for US or EU airlines to do so for decades now.

Anecdotally it still happens on some Chinese domestic flights but not legally.

Ditto EgyptAir https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2018/07/14/what-really-happened-to-egyptair-flight-804

Advertisement