Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold weather damage to year old sapling

Options
  • 25-03-2018 10:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I grew two horse chestnuts from seed last year, one I then transplanted in the autumn to a raised bed belonging to a friend to allow it to grow down deeper, and the other I kept in a sheltered window box at my house.

Unfortunately we had some very cold weather here (colder than Ireland, but which I read the chestnut buds would be able to handle) but even worse after the cold weather we had a week of warmer temps, followed again by snow and cold up until a few days ago. I noticed my window box buds were starting to lose their harder outer shell just before the cold weather was due to come back so I brought them inside where they have opened, but I wasn't able to get to the other tree until today, where I saw that there was no green growth at all, the buds were sticky and to me they seemed a little undersized compared to the tree.

So I'm guessing the buds are dead? The stem seemed ok to me, but without the buds and especially the terminal bud, is there anyway to save it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just leave it and see how it goes. The weather has been unsociable but they are hardy wee things.
    But losses happen, look how many seeds a tree produce each year, yet successful saplings are rare enough.

Advertisement