Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bricks to raise a waterbutt

Options
  • 26-03-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I need to raise a waterbutt (capacity 300l) to about 60 cm high. I want to use something that is aesthetically more pleasing than cement blocks and I was thinking about clay bricks.

Would hollow bricks be able to support the weight (I reckon about 350kg when full)?

What could I use instead of the clay bricks?

Thanks

Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sleepers counterbored and cross-bolted with threaded steel rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres a guy in navan sells clay bricks , also sells external insulation from the continent. I'd stick with the clay bricks idea no maintenance and they look well

Reasonably cheap too

http://www.adverts.ie/11644679

This is the guy try ping him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Why not cement blocks at the core, faced with more decorative bricks? The blocks should never be seen. How are you going to attach the butt to the raiser? While it may weigh 350Kg when full and need not be stabilised; what happens when it's empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aldib

I like the idea of the counterbored but the clay bricks are probably an easier solution with lower maintenance.
    I don't think I'll need to attach the butt the the base. It survived being empty for the all winter (storms and snow) so it should be ok.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

aldib wrote: »
    I like the idea of the counterbored but the clay bricks are probably an easier solution with lower maintenance.
    I don't think I'll need to attach the butt the the base. It survived being empty for the all winter (storms and snow) so it should be ok.

Thanks
    Fair enough but up to now was it directly on the ground? Giving it height might, or might not, reduce its stability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive yet to see an empty water butt in this country....

Advertisement