Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike for commuting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Apart from cycling to work. Would you be thinking of any other cycling?

You've got a road bike there and two hybrids. If you're ever inclined to go out for a longer cycle over the weekends, then the road bike would be the better choice. Its 1.9kg lighter than the Cube too. I cycle 19km each way aswell, and I have both a hybrid and a road bike. I'd much prefer the road bike for that distance.

I'd be inclined to spend as much as possible too. You're getting a great rate with the B2W.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Ranjo wrote: »
    Apart from cycling to work. Would you be thinking of any other cycling?

You've got a road bike there and two hybrids. If you're ever inclined to go out for a longer cycle over the weekends, then the road bike would be the better choice. Its 1.9kg lighter than the Cube too. I cycle 19km each way aswell, and I have both a hybrid and a road bike. I'd much prefer the road bike for that distance.

I'd be inclined to spend as much as possible too. You're getting a great rate with the B2W.

That's what the lad in the shop said too about the road bike. I couldn't see myself doing any extra cycling to be honest. Roughly what time would it be taking me to that distance, its mostly flat?

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

That's what the lad in the shop said too about the road bike. I couldn't see myself doing any extra cycling to be honest. Roughly what time would it be taking me to that distance, its mostly flat?

Thanks for the reply

That's going to depend on your level of fitness, wind direction, traffic lights etc. You could reasonably expect to do an average 25Kph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

homer911 wrote: »
    You could reasonably expect to do an average 25Kph

Hmm .. sounds a bit ambitious to me! For someone who is not an experienced cyclist and allowing for traffic stops etc I would expect a 19kms commute to take close to an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The Trek FX3 has a triple chainset. You don’t need a triple chainset unless your commute is very hilly.

Get the Road bike. It has a compact chainset which is a much better option.

Will you need mudguards? Will you have to carry stuff with you on your commute? ( work clothes, laptop etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Roughly what time would it be taking me to that distance, its mostly flat?
    Cruising at about average speed 20kph, you're looking at 57 mins. But you'll be able to improve that over time. 25kph is achievable. I average 28-30kph on decent days.

I still suggest the road bike for that distance, even if you're not planning to do weekend cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you were in good shape and it didn't have any traffic / lights etc. you would still be looking at close to an hour - you might get it down to 45 mins if you were really going for it

My commute is 25k and on a god day I can do it in 45minutes. On average it takes 50-55minutes.

How long it will take the OP to do...only the OP knows the answer as we do t know the route, the terrain, no. Of traffic lights, no of junctions.... even the no of bloody Lollypop ladies that stop the traffic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Thanks for the comments, looks like the road bike is the one to go for!

Won't have much to carry with me at all and in decent enough shape. Was hoping to get in within the hour so will see how it goes.

Cheers

Won't have much to carry with me at all and in decent enough shape. Was hoping to get in within the hour so will see how it goes.

Cheers

In that case up your budget and buy a better bike. Use the full €1000 for the bike. The most important Accessory you'll need is a descent lock (or Two)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I commute about 20km each way, I don't explicitly time it but I think I'm in the 50-55mins range mostly. I'm fairly unfit and the time isn't coming down too much after 6 months or so. But you're in that ballpark. You should definitely do it in under an hour if you're already fit enough.

My bike is quite heavy being a hybrid but it has built in mudguards, came with mudguards (do get mudguards) and a pannier rack all of which I find very useful.

Starting to commute by bike is one of the best things I've done in the last couple of years. The bike has comfortably paid for itself by now through saving on public transport/fuel and I'm getting my exercise in. Could not recommend it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    In that case up your budget and buy a better bike. Use the full €1000 for the bike. The most important Accessory you'll need is a descent lock (or Two)

I'd agree here. You can pick up bits over time. You'll figure out what you need and want in the first months, and this will change with the seasons. So I'd rather spend the bike to work money on the bike.

You can pick up bits over time.

Too right! don't believe all this "Cycling will save you money"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 to the road bike suggestions, that's what the lovely folks here suggested I go for when I was buying 2 years ago and they were right (don't tell 'em though.:p). My commute is (well was but that's another story) about 20km too and I can do it in 50 mins on a 'perfect weather' day, can't remember the last time we had one of those though so average about 55 mins especially on the return home. Get the puncture proof tires, I can't remember what I have (not gator skins) but they're worth every single penny.

It's definitely the best decision you'll ever make so enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Too right! don't believe all this "Cycling will save you money"! :D
    Depends who's asking/ who you're telling!

+1 on dropped bars, and I'd also try and spend the full amount on the bike (or a bit more and pay the difference).

It may also be worth looking at Cyclocross/ Gravel/ Adventure bike options that have the rack and mudguard mounts. They'll take a wider tyre and are a bit more versatile, if you don't think you'll get into road cycling, they open up some light off road options (and that may be an option for part of your commute too).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My commute is 25k and on a god day I can do it in 45minutes. On average it takes 50-55minutes.
    i assume you're not going through the city centre!
    mine is about 19.5km, typically 45-55mins.

No. Thankfully I don't have to commute via the City Centre. Lucky me eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

IMHO a hybrid is best for commuting in traffic - but check both for vision, posture and brakes.

Vision: Easier to look around when in an upright position - and see traffic
    Posture : Easier on you back, at least for an amateur than being crouched over
    Brakes: Don't have to move hands to apply fully pressure on brakes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll just echo what others said about mudguards - get a set of full length ones, even if you have clean clothes to change into at the far end.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

The Trek Domane AL2 is the better bike assuming you like the dropper bars.

What I don't like about the Cube are the 40mm tyres which are pretty big for commuting on roads. Cube has alu forks - they say carbon better for forks as absorb some of the bumps but who knows.

I wouldn't buy a bike with a triple these days as it's unnecessary.

Also note that the Cube has hydraulic brakes - AL2 has standard "racer" brakes. Hydraulic brakes typically harder for home mechanic to service but need servicing less often.

If I was buying the Cube, I'd swap out those tyres for 25mm's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Not wanting to hijack the OPs thread, but I'm in a similar situation where i have a 10k commute.

Currently on a felt Z6 which after leaving it in for a service at the weekend requires some bits done on it which will add up to circa 180 to have done from the shop.

Toying with the idea of getting a bike on the bike to work scheme as it will be available in the next few weeks through work.

I'd be looking to spend the full 1k on a bike, probably looking to stay with a racer as I find them more comfortable than a hybrid.

Any out of the box or standard suggestions that people get pointed towards from the experienced cyclists here?

Had looked at a Raleigh Mustang

https://eurocycles.com/raleigh-mustang-sport-road-bike-grey/

and a Cannondale Synapse

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=112565

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

gk5000 wrote: »
    IMHO a hybrid is best for commuting in traffic - but check both for vision, posture and brakes.

Brakes: Don't have to move hands to apply fully pressure on brakes

There are many bikes out there that are essentially road bikes but come with flat bars. My Cannodale Synapse Flatbar was identical to the dropped bar version other than the bars obviously. It used to annoy me having it referred to as a hybrid (disparagingly) when on sportives. It was, and still is, much more suited to commuting in traffic where you need to brake regularly and keep a good look out. I also used it for plenty of foreign trips including the Alps and the Pyrennies without any posture issues.

My "good bike" does have drops and does allow for a lower profile in headwinds and in fast group riding. Getting back to the OP and his choice, I certainly wouldn't dismiss the flatbar bikes and the Cube with hydraulic disks and provision for mudguards would probably be my pick of the three.

There are many bikes out there that are essentially road bikes but come with flat bars. My Cannodale Synapse Flatbar was identical to the dropped bar version other than the bars obviously. It used to annoy me having it referred to as a hybrid (disparagingly) when on sportives. It was, and still is, much more suited to commuting in traffic where you need to brake regularly and keep a good look out. I also used it for plenty of foreign trips including the Alps and the Pyrennies without any posture issues.

My "good bike" does have drops and does allow for a lower profile in headwinds and in fast group riding. Getting back to the OP and his choice, I certainly wouldn't dismiss the flatbar bikes and the Cube with hydraulic disks and provision for mudguards would probably be my pick of the three.
    Yes, I should have said "non dropped bars" are best suited to commuting imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yes, I should have said "non dropped bars" are best suited to commuting imho.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Body, head, hand position and braking wouldn't be that different on the hoods on a properly fitted endurance road bike would it? I used to think I needed a flat bar commuter, as I used to struggle braking on the hoods, but a better fit eliminated that issue tbh.

C3PO wrote: »
    Why?

I'll redo fully what I said earlier:
    IMHO "non-dropped bars" are best for commuting in traffic - but check both (dropped & non-dropped) for vision, posture and brakes.

Brakes: Don't have to move hands to apply full pressure on brakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I'll redo fully what I said earlier:
    IMHO "non-dropped bars" are best for commuting in traffic - but check both (dropped & non-dropped) for vision, posture and brakes.

Brakes: Don't have to move hands to apply full pressure on brakes

I changed from a road bike to a hybrid for my commute (12km each way). I find it to be way more comfortable and better for my posture in general.

My viewing position is much improved too. I feel a lot more secure on the hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Big fan of hybrids as well, I'd take one over a road bike any day, particularly for commuting, it's a personal choice though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Since seeing so many people on drop down handle bars I've wondering if I should go for them but this thread may have helped me somewhat.
    Commute is 10km, mostly straight on a main country road (N 17). Besides that the odd casual spin. The posture in straight handle bars seems good to me

Think I'll borrow a bike with drop-down handle bars from someone to finally put the debate in my head to rest.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Since seeing so many people on drop down handle bars I've wondering if I should go for them but this thread may have helped me somewhat.
    Commute is 10km, mostly straight on a main country road (N 17). Besides that the odd casual spin. The posture in straight handle bars seems good to me

Think I'll borrow a bike with drop-down handle bars from someone to finally put the debate in my head to rest.

Dropped Bars offer 3 different hand positions. Top of the bar for climbing/casual or relaxed cycling, Hoods for flat roads, drops for racing/descending or when there is a headwind.

Flat bars only offer one"Official" position, which is fine for short trips, but being able to vary your hand position does help to alleviate numbness/strain on your hands. An upright position is also not ideal if there is a headwind.

Might be worth considering.

Advertisement