Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike for commuting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dinneenp wrote: »

Think I'll borrow a bike with drop-down handle bars from someone to finally put the debate in my head to rest.

A properly fitting bike with drop bars is pretty important, so don't be surprised if you borrow a bike and find it uncomfortable. I found it took a while to get used to drops, but now that I have, I wouldn't go back (well at least in terms of road cycling).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Body, head, hand position and braking wouldn't be that different on the hoods on a properly fitted endurance road bike would it? I used to think I needed a flat bar commuter, as I used to struggle braking on the hoods, but a better fit eliminated that issue tbh.

Having had both my flat bar and dropped bar bikes fitted by the same professional fitter, my position on the former is noticably more upright and less stretched than on the latter. For town cycling this is definitely an advantage but, given the OP's commute route, it may not be an issue for him.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Dropped Bars offer 3 different hand positions. Top of the bar for climbing/casual or relaxed cycling, Hoods for flat roads, drops for racing/descending or when there is a headwind.

Flat bars only offer one"Official" position, which is fine for short trips, but being able to vary your hand position does help to alleviate numbness/strain on your hands. An upright position is also not ideal if there is a headwind.

Might be worth considering.

Most people who cycle flat bar bikes a lot get bar ends fitted that offer a good second position with a different wrist rotation. I agree that getting lower in a headwind can be problematic but it hasn't been a major issue for me on 200k+ rides. On the dropped bar bike, I normally go a bit lower by riding on the front of the hoods rather than on the drops as I find that more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Thanks for all the comments guys (great help). I was all set for the dropped bar road bike but a few comments have me in a little doubt.
    Would the dropped bars be harder on your lower back?
    Aslo, I wouldn't have to cycle through much traffic, more or less a straight road.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you have a flat bar get bar ends. I have them on mine and did some bike touring with it recently. The bar ends give your hands the most comfortable position. They are really handy. I have also a bike mirror on the outside of one of the bar ends. Priceless to see behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for all the comments guys (great help). I was all set for the dropped bar road bike but a few comments have me in a little doubt.
    Aslo, I wouldn't have to cycle through much traffic, more or less a straight road.

Thanks again

I have a hybrid (only 8 gears, which I really like) with flat bars and bar ends/bull bars. I use the bar ends mainly for uphills, not really otherwise. But they're handy to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It depends a lot on your physique and how flexible you are. If you can't go anywhere near touching your toes, you may find that long periods on the drops or brake hoods can lead to discomfort not just in your lower back but in your neck and upper back. From the sound of your commute, you may spend a lot of the time with your hands on the bar tops which is fine but braking or changing gear will involve a change of hand position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It used to annoy me having it referred to as a hybrid (disparagingly) when on sportives.

I've a mate who used to call my flat bar road bike a mountain bike. Thought it was heavier as a result too.

Two years later and he's sick of his drop bars on his road bike and is getting flat bars put on.

He didn't get it when I asked why he was converting his bike into a mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Went for this one in the end, picking it up on Saturday:

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-al/domane-al-3/p/17497/

Thanks for the help guys

Advertisement