Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Clinical Laboratory Science in DIT

Options
  • 26-03-2018 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi there I have a few questions about the MSc in Clinical Laboratory Science in DIT and Medical Laboratory Scientists in Ireland and was wondering if anyone here could help me :)

1. Are biomedical science undergraduate degrees the only accepted degrees into this course, or can someone with a biological science undergrad get it?

2. Do you need to have an accredited biomedical science undergrad to apply to the ACSLM to become a member, or can you apply for membership with this MSc alone?

3. Does anyone have any experience with registration in other countries, particularly New Zealand. Is it easier to register there or are they as strict as they are in Ireland?

I really want to get into Medical Laboratory Science but I only have a BSc in Biology, I applied for the MSc but doubt I will get in with my undergrad, does anyone know of any other routes to become Medical Laboratory Scientist in New Zealand, I am supposed to be moving there in the next 2.5 years and want to try get into this field so any information or suggestions would be really great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Hi there I have a few questions about the MSc in Clinical Laboratory Science in DIT and Medical Laboratory Scientists in Ireland and was wondering if anyone here could help me :)

1. Are biomedical science undergraduate degrees the only accepted degrees into this course, or can someone with a biological science undergrad get it?

2. Do you need to have an accredited biomedical science undergrad to apply to the ACSLM to become a member, or can you apply for membership with this MSc alone?

3. Does anyone have any experience with registration in other countries, particularly New Zealand. Is it easier to register there or are they as strict as they are in Ireland?

I really want to get into Medical Laboratory Science but I only have a BSc in Biology, I applied for the MSc but doubt I will get in with my undergrad, does anyone know of any other routes to become Medical Laboratory Scientist in New Zealand, I am supposed to be moving there in the next 2.5 years and want to try get into this field so any information or suggestions would be really great

1: No, any biological science undergrad will get you in. Especially if combined with relevant work experience. Every third level institute is a business, they'll take money off anyone...

2: yes you must have studied the required amount of credits of pathology from a recognised course to be recognised. The responsibility for recognising entry level qualifications is in the process of transferring to CORU and is suspended until that transition is complete.
    The MSc does not cover the required amount of pathology so it doesn't qualify you.
    There was talk of the undergrad stuff being offered as a post grad cert/diploma like UU do but all that is paused with CORU.

3: I've no.experience and I haven't heard of anyone that does, sorry! Australia is somewhat regulated, I think irish qualified scientists have to sit conversion exams to work in public labs over there. Canada is the same.

Do you know much about the job itself? What is attracting you to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A friend of mine is actually planning on moving to new Zealand in the next year to work in Med Lab.

If you have an overseas qualification you are eligible to register with the Medical Science Council of NZ if you meet the registration requirements.

If you don't have an overseas qualification your application is reviewed by the council's registration committee on a case by case basis.

So there's no guarenttees i guess unless you register and find out.

Advertisement