Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a better look at Number 1 via Rebecca Romijn's instagram: I quite like those new takes on the old uniforms (am wondering if the script will note them, some passing "oh, are those the new uniforms?" kinda dialogue)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BorUw0DhHpT/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BrookieD wrote: »
    Just a thought so don't shoot - winged object and last Season 2 poster some mentioned Romulan design, soooooo could it be then the D7 cruiser is not Klingon but Romulan as there was an exchange of tech between the two factions with Romulan getting battlecruisers and Klingons gettings cloaking tech...... and as i type that i recall T'Kuvma having already used a cloak in Battle of binary stars..... hmmmm

I doubt it. That happens much later on during Kirks five year run on the Enterprise. If you recall in ''The Original Series'' the Romulans still have the big winged Warbirds and Klingons have K7 and K9 cruisers but do not have cloaking tech yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

Goodshape wrote: »
    You know what?

I think they got this.

w/r/t Discovery's Klingons having shaved off their hair in time of war:

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1049381663522709504

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1049441015998730240
    Can they make the weird skin colours warpaint while they're at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

AMKC wrote: »
    I doubt it. That happens much later on during Kirks five year run on the Enterprise. If you recall in ''The Original Series'' the Romulans still have the big winged Warbirds and Klingons have K7 and K9 cruisers but do not have cloaking tech yet.

Good point - i do doubt myself but would be an interesting take on it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but Netflix confirmed that they'll be streaming the show the next day after CBS broadcast, starting on 18th January 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Goodshape wrote: »
    You know what?

I think they got this.

w/r/t Discovery's Klingons having shaved off their hair in time of war:

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1049381663522709504

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1049441015998730240

Mary Chieffo is one of the show's greatest assets. She's immersed herself in the mythology and seems to really enjoy talking about it.

Chieffo shared her new, hairier look as L'Rell, confirming that indeed the baldness was a fashion / religious choice:

https://twitter.com/marythechief/status/1054032284221722624

pixelburp wrote: »
    Chieffo shared her new, hairier look as L'Rell, confirming that indeed the baldness was a fashion / religious choice:
    And that the skin colour was warpaint? She looks a lot paler in that photo than she was in season 1.

Looks about the same to me; probably just the lighting. I wonder if they've also tweaked the teeth, a lot of the Klingons did sound quite obstructed by the prosthetics last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Colour could be mostly down to lighting alright.

Whole thing looks softer though. The scarring is removed, for one thing, and even that aside – there's a lot less going on in the face.

That's fine I guess. The first season makeup seemed to be a struggle to act through, so hopefully this is an improvement on that.

DqHUR9vXcAAl0Ss.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how you can call it the same, she was almost purple in season 1.

latest?cb=20180224045156&path-prefix=en
    I'm not complaining, all these roll backs seem like steps in the right direction to me. I hope next on the list is a crew that's not almost completely unlikable.

Evade wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you can call it the same, she was almost purple in season 1.

Looks sky-blue in the season one picture I posted.

Not saying it hasn't changed, just that it could be lighting.
    I'm not complaining, all these roll backs seem like steps in the right direction to me. I hope next on the list is a crew that's not almost completely unlikable.

Yeah. I enjoyed season one just fine – probably the strongest season one of a Trek series since TOS – but these changes are welcome. Hope it's not all window dressing and they've got the good stories to go with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

'Star Trek: Short Treks': "Calypso" Trailer Teases 1,000-Year Time Jump

^^^ Not sure if this is the correct thread for these, as there is no way to watch them legally here, as netflix did not get the rights to them as part of the discovery deal.
    Star Trek: Short Treks, "Calypso" debuts November 8th on CBS All Access.

Star Trek: Discovery Season Two is now filming in Toronto and will premiere on CBS All Access on January 17, 2019

Ms

corkie wrote: »
    'Star Trek: Short Treks': "Calypso" Trailer Teases 1,000-Year Time Jump

^^^ Not sure if this is the correct thread for these, as there is no way to watch them legally here, as netflix did not get the rights to them as part of the discovery deal.

There is no tread for them. I don't think there is even a way to watch them illegally here. I never found them anyway. A pity as I would watch them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

There is no tread for them. I don't think there is even a way to watch them illegally here. I never found them anyway. A pity as I would watch them.

There is, the first one is out there. Second one hasn't been released yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just reading this article
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-budget-netflix-cbs/amp/

Seems the cost of Discovery was covered by what netflix paid for it with a bit left over

Wow, that's some downpayment lol: makes sense I guess, Netflix come across as eager to throw cash around in order to chase that latest viral / hyped IP. Their own 'genre' work has generally failed to find a wide audience such as Altered Carbon or Lost in Space (though the latter was highly enjoyable once it got going, with a Trek esque heart to it in many respects)

Lost in Space

Thoroughly enjoyed that show, and eagerly await Season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the next short is it tomorrow? Enjoyed the last one so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Written by Michael Chabon no less, so a decent pedigree of writing for a short web-episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Written by Michael Chabon no less, so a decent pedigree of writing for a short web-episode.

So annoying that I can’t watch this today

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Calypso really wasn't what I expected. I didn't realise the significance of the episodes name, which spells it out in hindsight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Spear wrote: »
    Calypso really wasn't what I expected. I didn't realise the significance of the episodes name, which spells it out in hindsight.

Loved it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I had mixed feelings about the show. It seems very different to anything produced in trek universe so far. Very dark. Hard to see in terms of continuity how Kirk and co came after this. It's a parallel universe. I wonder why they felt the need to go back rather than forward. It's a good show but not sure it really fits into star trek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Trek Short Treks "The Brightest Star" Promo

Airing tonight, probably take a day or two, to be able to see it.

Edit: - Available on the 7th, if you know how.

Ms

corkie wrote: »
    Star Trek Short Treks "The Brightest Star" Promo

Airing tonight, probably take a day or two, to be able to see it.

Whats the point in posting these? None of us can view them anyway and certainly not legally.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whats the point in posting these? None of us can view them anyway and certainly not legally.

Sorry for ruining your viewing pleasure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some of us can. Many posters may work in the US or access through remote desktop in a US office etc. I used to do it years ago when stuff was region locked as part of my work day was spent on a US PC, working from a Dublin office.

If they can’t be viewed legally, they’re taking the piss in 2018 by expecting people to wait an undetermined amount of time to watch them. It’s a case of legal/licensing ****ery that forces people to pirate the product. Netflix et al have demonstrated people will happily pay for content, yet here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I've watched the 3 of them and Calypso is probably my favourite, although
    I did half-expect "her" to fire on the shuttle at the end in a twist!
    :p

The latest one though
    with the Saru backstory
    is pretty good too.

I maaaay have seen the first two. And they're ... fine. They're quite 'Trek' for those bemoaning the lack of that sort of thing, but they were both totally inessential. The Tilly episode broadened her character out a little, but with material already hinted at & mentioned in the main series. So basically, not sure what the point of these episodes has been TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Liked them all so far but they have been very "talky"
    Point of them? To peek the interest til it starts again in a month. Most webisodes never really add much but just give some sideline info to the series that wouldn't probably merit a full episode

Ms

fritzelly wrote: »
    Liked them all so far but they have been very "talky"
    Point of them? To peek the interest til it starts again in a month. Most webisodes never really add much but just give some sideline info to the series that wouldn't probably merit a full episode

Point of them? To peek the interest til it starts again in a month.

I have to say they have had the opposite effect on me thanks to CBS not letting us see them I now have less interest in season two and will not watch it until I can see them. Its a pity because season two might be better with a lot of that silly Klignot stuff out of the way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

New Short Trek with Saru was fine, I guess. Haven't really enjoyed any of these though to be honest. They all felt very unnecessary, and jarringly disconnected.

Re: the recent one –
    Saru is the only one of his race to make it off his pre-warp planet? Thanks to some artefact he alone was super-smart enough to reverse-and-re-engineer into a beacon to summon Starfleet? What?
    . Either I missed something along the way or that's just a bit daft – at least insofar as they were able to tell it in 15 minutes. And it's also unnecessary, so what's the point really.

Calypso was the best of the three so far but maybe only because it was so disconnected that it just felt like a random, decent enough, sci-fi short.

*shrug*

Also – I still find the Kelpien makeup pretty distracting :(. A lot of the full-face-cover makeup they went with in Discovery is just too rubbery looking. Very good actors just can't seem to emote anything through it. It's a pity.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I had mixed feelings about the show. It seems very different to anything produced in trek universe so far. Very dark. Hard to see in terms of continuity how Kirk and co came after this. It's a parallel universe. I wonder why they felt the need to go back rather than forward. It's a good show but not sure it really fits into star trek

I don't know how so many Trek fans were fine with the jarring aesthetic change from TOS to TMP, but have an issue with Discovery.

Probably the biggest mistake in Star Trek canon was the attempt to rationalize the shifting production values. I was just as happy to ignore the first two Klingon overhauls in '79 and '84, the "refit" Enterprise and all of that. I'm happy to ignore it all in Discovery as well.

I also seriously wonder how much of the fanbase actually cares about any of that. I suspect it's just the loudest fraction, not the largest.

I don't know how so many Trek fans were fine with the jarring aesthetic change from TOS to TMP, but have an issue with Discovery.

Probably the biggest mistake in Star Trek canon was the attempt to rationalize the shifting production values. I was just as happy to ignore the first two Klingon overhauls in '79 and '84, the "refit" Enterprise and all of that. I'm happy to ignore it all in Discovery as well.

I also seriously wonder how much of the fanbase actually cares about any of that. I suspect it's just the loudest fraction, not the largest.

Changes going forward (ie the passage of time meaning newer designs etc), make sense...whether you like them or not.

Changes that go backwards, like Discovery having more advanced tech than seen in TOS...are logical and necessary from a production standpoint, but they're always going to attract nitpicking.

Regardless of anything else, I think Discovery stands on its own as a damned good tv show at this point.

A lot of it is down to straw-manning too. If person A has a problem with the look of STD and then person B frames person A's criticism as wanting dials and cardboard sets again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'm a little confused has season 2 been leaked or are these stories ye are talking about web episodes

Yes, they're 'webisodes' that CBS produced in the run up to Season 2. There'll be four of them IIRC by the end, and unfortunately the studio hasn't opened them up for international viewing. You're not missing out however, they're just bitesized stories.

• Advertisement

A lot of it is down to straw-manning too. If person A has a problem with the look of STD and then person B frames person A's criticism as wanting dials and cardboard sets again.

Sure, there is some of that... but I think we can safely say there's a vocal faction that's raging over the Discovery aesthetic that would have been similarly intolerant of even minor updates. With a significant proportion of those being in the cohort that seems loudly concerned about how "PC" Star Trek has become.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Changes going forward (ie the passage of time meaning newer designs etc), make sense...whether you like them or not.

Changes that go backwards, like Discovery having more advanced tech than seen in TOS...are logical and necessary from a production standpoint, but they're always going to attract nitpicking.

I see your point, but I think an entire species changing appearance twice in 2 decades requires about the same suspension of disbelief as "holographic" displays- that incidentally look much inferior to later iterations- apparently appearing anachronistically... I was able to rationalize both issues away without needing ENT-style canon crowbar work.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Regardless of anything else, I think Discovery stands on its own as a damned good tv show at this point.

Agreed!

With a significant proportion of those being in the cohort that seems loudly concerned about how "PC" Star Trek has become.
    Star Trek itself hasn't really gotten any more PC but the people involved with Star Trek, and Hollywood in general, do like to loudly pat themselves on the back for PC points at every opportunity and it's kind of off-putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Actually Star Trek has always been quite on the leading edge of social progress because it's set in a utopian future.

It's featured the first interracial kiss. It's always had people from diverse backgrounds and different ethnicities in high powered roles. It was fairly gender balanced by the 1980s in TNG and became more so with Voyager.

The only thing that's prominently visible in Discovery for the first time is an openly gay couple. I don't think that's really anything very out of the ordinary for 2018/19. Gay people are much more visible. I mean even our Taoiseach is gay and nobody bats an eyelid. So you'd imagine that in a society a set in the future that's likely to be even more uncontroversial and visible.

Trek has a lot of general social mores that would tend to be more like an evolution of the EU's interpretation of universal human rights and they've been expanded in episodes around things like arguing for Data's rights to be recognized as an individual etc etc.

It's also a society that's moved beyond scarcity economics where the acquisition of things is largely just a matter of asking a replicator to make it and where people seem to do things just for the sake of expanding knowledge etc etc.

So yeah it's a very socially progressive society. That's not "PC". it's a bit tiresome to just hear this dull, populist 21st century American political use of terms like 'liberal' and 'pc' being injected into analysis of science fiction. Isn't that where most of us go to escape Trump, Brexit and all of that stuff into a world of science, technology, progress and a much more optimistic view of humanity?

Just watch and enjoy Discovery!

Any individual or group complaining about Trek being PC are either arguing from ignorance (of Trek), or just typical bad-faith contrarianism. At this stage I'm past even trying to be civil with this chronic whiners, who seem incapable of dealing if a woman's in charge, or a non-flamboyant gay person appears on a show. Hollywood may be patting themselves on the back, but I'll take so-called humblebragging over tactic bigotry any day.

Star Trek itself hasn't really gotten any more PC but the people involved with Star Trek, and Hollywood in general, do like to loudly pat themselves on the back for PC points at every opportunity and it's kind of off-putting.

There's an element of chicken and egg, I think. Hollywood (or Toronto) has long been smug, but now they're reacting to a world where steady social progress is no longer a given. Perhaps they even feel they have a responsibility to point out what they feel is right.

Anyway I'll take smug liberals over the other guys any day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Star Trek always reflected the socially progressive ideas of the time in which it was made. Some of these ideas aged well, others not so much. Discovery is no different. The main difference now is that we're in the middle of a culture war in which both sides are obsessed with representation because they believe that "politics is downstream from culture" and because they like to demonstrate their wokeness (or lack of) on social media. So we get endless articles and reviews and tweets that praise or denounce every film/show for how it represents such-and-such a group. I firmly believe if not for these articles that most people wouldn't notice most of the show's politics. The most visible thing as EdgeCase said is the openly gay couple, which didn't even survive half the season until the boring half of it was killed off (causing a great deal of offence to many people), which suggests to me the writers aren't overly concerned with being PC. As with the previous shows, telling an exciting story still comes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer! From the CBS side so it might get taken down. Not on the netflix channel yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

star-trek-discovery-season-2-poster.jpg

Well it looks like the budget is still pretty beefy, the show looks as slick & flashy as before. Red Angel seems like a classic Mystery Box mind you, I hope they don't overplay that hand.

Ash Tyler is back though; didn't he leave Starfleet at the end of Season 1?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Well it looks like the budget is still pretty beefy, the show looks as slick & flashy as before. Red Angel seems like a classic Mystery Box mind you, I hope they don't overplay that hand.

Ash Tyler is back though; didn't he leave Starfleet at the end of Season 1?

He did, and went back to House Mokai with L'Rell.

Advertisement