Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave Allen At Peace BBC 2 Monday April 2nd at 9pm.

• 26-03-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭

One of the greatest.
    Dave Allen At Peace focuses on the controversial comedian’s forty-year career, from performing alongside his brother as a Butlin’s Redcoat to becoming one of the UK and Ireland’s comedy greats. It explore how Dave’s comedy genius was shaped by the tragic loss of his father, his brother and his finger; and how he survived decades of the Roman Catholic Church’s wrath, death threats from the IRA and a ban by Irish and Australian TV, only to have his television career end in controversy when he used the f-word in an innocuous joke.

The hour-long drama. which was penned by Stephen Russell, is produced by Darlow Smithson Productions and stars Aidan Gillen (Peaky Blinders), Conleth Hill (Game Of Thrones), Tommy Tiernan (Father Ted), Joanne Crawford (Line of Duty), Robert Bathurst (Cold Feet), Pauline McLynn (Father Ted), Ian McElhinney (Star Wars: Rogue One), Simon Day (The Fast Show) and Julian Rhind-Tutt (Green Wing). Andy De Emmony (Wipers Times) directed. Charlotte Surtees and Emily Dalton are the executive producers.

Dave-Allen-At-Peace-200x300.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

One of the greatest.

Fondly Remembered. But got his best of dvd recently and it was a bit hit and miss to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

It is also on RTE One same day at 9.30 pm.

On BBC 2 it is followed by:

Dave Allen: God's Own Comedian (from 2013)
    Told by family and friends, with rare unseen archive, this documentary reflects on the career of Dave Allen, who became a TV star in Australia in his twenties, before returning home to dominate the schedules in Britain. Respected, admired and with unshakeable integrity, Dave Allen fought for what he wanted to say and how he wanted to say it. For the first time ever this rich and compelling career is celebrated on screen, giving a chance to reflect on his many achievements and on the private life that went alongside it. With contributions from Stephen Berkoff, Stephen Frears, and Dame Maggie Smith, among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ireland's best stand-up imo. I discovered his stuff about ten years ago and loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dave Allen himself was always more important than his humour. Back then what mattered was that someone on prime time British TV was Irish, a intelligent heathen and defied threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Disappointed with this. Aidan Gillen has zero comic timing which made the TV show recreations painful to watch. The plot and timeline jumped around too much for a one
    hour drama. Missed opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

There's something about Gillen I can't take to......he's so bloody wooden, never watched game of thrones but anything else I've seen him I thought he's bloody hopeless .......that face of his, it's the same for every character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Didn't mind it myself, the usual liberties taken but fashioning a 55 minute drama out of a life is always tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Jaysus this is sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've never heard of Dave Allen and turned this to not having a clue what was happening in the show. A few funny jokes tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

I thought the scene with his brother towards the end was quite moving, a life passed by, one a success, one a hopeless alcoholic.

I agree that Gillen didn't have comic timing that Allen had but then Allen was a comic genius.

Not that he was ever really appreciated over here. He was "that dirty anti Catholic" or the man who took the Queen's shilling by being popular in England (see Terry Wogan).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aiden gillen's no dave allen thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm enjoying it so much

I think Aidan Gillen is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am enjoying the scenes but very episodic and seems to have jumped about too much. Like theres 20 minutes missing.

I am using wikipedia to fill in the blanks as otherwise would be lost.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The kid playing his older brother in the childhood scenes had one bizarre accent.

I did enjoy Tommy Tiernan's performance. Maybe they should have put a wig on Tommy and got him to play the adult Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Did Allen use the 'F' word on his actual BBC shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Strazdas wrote: »

i remember the f***ing clock sketch

From Wiki:

His final series for the BBC in 1990 caused controversy with a joke:

We spend our lives on the run. We get up by the clock, eat and sleep by the clock, go to work by the clock, get up again, go to work – and then we retire. And what do they give us? A ****ing clock.

This prompted MP Robert Hayward to ask a parliamentary question about "offensive language" in broadcasting. In 1993, Allen returned to ITV, where he starred in the Dave Allen Show, which was his final regular television series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

I doubt it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭LoMismo

Mad how kids had D4 accents even in the 1940s. Gillen is nothing like Dave Allen in this, was totally sh*te.

• Advertisement

LoMismo wrote: »
    Mad how kids had D4 accents even in the 1940s. Gillen is nothing like Dave Allen in this, was totally sh*te.

What was that Mike Murphy show where he played tricks on people on camera?

There's some fella in the 70s giving back dogs abuse in what I always thought was a Celtic tiger phenomenon d4 accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

it was far too short. Raced through his life and missed loads. Should have been over a few episodes. The documentary is much better.

Wheety wrote: »
    it was far too short. Raced through his life and missed loads. Should have been over a few episodes. The documentary is much better.

The childhood part was so good.

No showing his wives, kids, death etc

A 2 or 3 parter would have been much better. But I did enjoy it.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I've never heard of Dave Allen and turned this to not having a clue what was happening in the show. A few funny jokes tho

You should watch a few of his videos on YouTube. He's a great standup.

From Wiki:

His final series for the BBC in 1990 caused controversy with a joke:

We spend our lives on the run. We get up by the clock, eat and sleep by the clock, go to work by the clock, get up again, go to work – and then we retire. And what do they give us? A ****ing clock.

This prompted MP Robert Hayward to ask a parliamentary question about "offensive language" in broadcasting. In 1993, Allen returned to ITV, where he starred in the Dave Allen Show, which was his final regular television series.

In the clip he actually says "What do they f**king give you? A clock!". Can't believe they got it wrong when the actual clip is on YouTube.

Wiki is also wrong.

Stuff you?

If you missed it there's the Doc which was on BBC2 tonight (originally broadcast in 2013)

Well worth a look

The Game of Thrones bloke was good I thought

I don't think I've ever been able to watch Pauline McGlynn in anything post Fr Ted without being reminded of Mrs Doyle. It's that nasally voice that does it.At least she'd only a small cameo in this.

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote: »
    There's something about Gillen I can't take to......he's so bloody wooden, never watched game of thrones but anything else I've seen him I thought he's bloody hopeless .......that face of his, it's the same for every character

He's awful. Worst thing about The Wire as well.

Interesting in the documentary they mentioned he had something in his contract about repeats, such a shame that BBC doing a Dave Allen night once every few years is all we get to see of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The Dave Allen at peace show was ok overall. The documentary afterwards was good, fairly comprehensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I though the scene at the end was the best bit, partly because the rest of it was shit and at least it was nearly over, but it seemed fitting to see him happily painting in his garden, recalling his happy childhood and seeming like a man totally at peace with his legacy.

Here's a clip of his show, from the week after he said the f-word (fuck). Note how he doesn't sign off with his usual "...and may your god go with you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

amdublin wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it so much

I think Aidan Gillen is awesome

Gillen was absolute shyte.
    No timing and none of the presence of Dave Allen.
    Ranks down there with his haughey portrayal.

And he also was a total bore presenting Other Voices.

And you a mod of the entertainment forum. :eek:
    brian_t wrote: »
    It is also on RTE One same day at 9.30 pm.

This is the hypocritical thing.
    RTE now making a deal of Dave Allen, the guy that they wouldn't let near the place during his hay day because they were so in fear of the church.

And no one has ever answered his great question.
    What was God doing before he created the earth and Adam ?:D

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement