Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How To delete Facebook Account.

• 26-03-2018 1:43pm

A lengthy process but make sure to delete and not deactivate FB do not make this easy and deactivate is the more logical thing to click as deactivate isn't easy find but follow this guide to successfully delete you account.

https://deletefacebook.com/guide/

remember if you log back in again it cancels the account deletion the cunning b1stards !

So at last, I'm finally free of the data risks and the bullsh1t, question is, who will bury their heads in the sand and say , well, I don't really care, one day you just might and it might have far more serious consequences than we think.

Who cares about the latest Facebook data Breech ? 152 votes

I do and I'm deleting my account asap
    0% 0 votes
    I don't care
    24% 37 votes
    I will continue to risk my valuable data at unknown consequences because FB is too important to me.
    65% 100 votes
    I'm getting really fed up of social media.
    9% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

boo, I'm going to have to go back to stalking you physically now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Absolutely could not care less.
    This is a non issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh unless you organise simultaneous drone strikes on all their data centres they will still have your data....

Even so, they won't get any further data , if everyone deleted their accounts it would show FB people do care but I suppose people are so addicted to social media that they really don't give a sh1t.

Lets see the poles who rather sell their souls than get rid of facebook lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone on my friends list that's active on Facebook is over 60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

I deleted my Facebook 6 months ago before it was cool to do so. I'm superior to all of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Facebook provides a valuable service via Facebook, Messenger and WhatsApp.
    The fee I pay for that service is by providing information. I know the information that is on my profile and dont care if its been stolen. There is nothing there im embarrassed about or feel is unsuitable for the public.

Any app which requires me to use Facebook as a login i make sure the only information the app receives is my name and email address.

I don't care about providing that information because it doesn't help them sell me anything in anyway.
    I have never clicked on a advertisement on any website including google on purpose and i have never purchased a product via these advertisements.

Should facebook be held accountable for data breaches. Yes of course.
    Should the average person care. No they should not.

All large organisations collect information about you. Do you think Tesco gives you a loyalty card because they want to send you free money. No they give you this so they can track what you buy, where you buy it, when you buy it and they manipulate you into buying more "€10 off on spends of €50 or more", they manipulate you into buying higher profit items "20% off xxx brand". Thats just the way the world works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If your use of FB puts you in any type of harm's way, then you need a lobotomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

----Death to Zuckerberg----

smug bastid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

It'll be grand. Nothing to worry about.

On a more serious note, take it a step further and de-google-ify yourself too.

I'm personally hoping that this project does well in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It don't matter if you are a user or not, they track you anyway. Apparently it was a mistake...
    Facebook has admitted that it tracked users who do not have an account with the social network, but says that the tracking only happened because of a bug that is now being fixed.

The social network hit out at the report commissioned by the Belgian data protection authority, which found Facebook in breach of European data privacy laws, saying that the report “gets it wrong multiple times in asserting how Facebook uses information”.

“The researchers did find a bug that may have sent cookies to some people when they weren’t on Facebook. This was not our intention – a fix for this is already under way,” wrote Richard Allan, Facebook’s vice president of policy for Europe in a rebuttal.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/10/facebook-admits-it-tracks-non-users-but-denies-claims-it-breaches-eu-privacy-law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you call someone friending many people and collecting the data they've elected to share with said friends, or agreeing to give an app permission to collect any information friends have shared with you a data breach then...

I don't even care enough to read up about it properly never mind go around being paranoid and deleting my facebook page.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Without facebook we wouldn't have gotten Pintman or Ireland Simpsons Fans. My personal data, which mainly consists of liking those two pages, is a small price to pay for the hours of entertainment I've gotten

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Enter all your information into Facebook.
    Post happily about where you are, who your friends are, what you are eating.
    FB comes into the news about holding your information....rabble rabble rabble delete Facebook rabble rabble rabble.

YOU made all the decisions to put it there and where happy to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a Facebook account but I never actually post anything on it anymore and haven't for years.

Would delete it in the morning except that more and more companies are using it and Twitter as the means for communicating with customers and dealing with complaints :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as my habits or political views are not deemed incorrect I am probably ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Enter all your information into Facebook.
    Post happily about where you are, who your friends are, what you are eating.
    FB comes into the news about holding your information....rabble rabble rabble delete Facebook rabble rabble rabble.

YOU made all the decisions to put it there and where happy to do so.

Applying common sense is now a bannable offence :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The fee I pay for that service is by providing information. I know the information that is on my profile and dont care if its been stolen. There is nothing there im embarrassed about or feel is unsuitable for the public.

Any app which requires me to use Facebook as a login i make sure the only information the app receives is my name and email address.

I don't care about providing that information because it doesn't help them sell me anything in anyway.
    I have never clicked on a advertisement on any website including google on purpose and i have never purchased a product via these advertisements.

Should facebook be held accountable for data breaches. Yes of course.

All large organisations collect information about you. Do you think Tesco gives you a loyalty card because they want to send you free money. No they give you this so they can track what you buy, where you buy it, when you buy it and they manipulate you into buying more "€10 off on spends of €50 or more", they manipulate you into buying higher profit items "20% off xxx brand". Thats just the way the world works.

but those apps track you outside of facebook too. facebook also collects your data/online movements outside of facebook

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Let me re-phrase , what I meant was that it's one less way to steal data, yes I know the horse has bolted but if everyone took a stand and deleted their accounts it might make these companies realise that our data is important to us but as the pole is showing not many people care about it which is even more worrying.

What are people willing to sacrifice in order for to see all the "Likes" ? on their posts ?

So I deleted my account to say no Facebook, it's not acceptable and because there are far more important things in my life. Thinking about it the last few days , what does Facebook offer me ? nothing except the feeling I have to have it but thinking about it I lived far better without it for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Let me re-phrase , what I meant was that it's one less way to steal data, yes I know the horse has bolted but if everyone took a stand and deleted their accounts it might make these companies realise that our data is important to us but as the pole is showing not many people care about it which is even more worrying.

What are people willing to sacrifice in order for to see all the "Likes" ? on their posts ?

So I deleted my account to say no Facebook, it's not acceptable and because there are far more important things in my life. Thinking about it the last few days , what does Facebook offer me ? nothing except the feeling I have to have it but thinking about it I lived far better without it for many years.

Well facebook won't notice you've gone.
    You or the hundreds like you, ye are like the size of a grain of salt in the ocean of facebook users.

I only joined facebook recently myself but I can't see what the problem is. You select who has access to your data, and don't approve anyone you don't trust. If you approve them then it's on you.

I must be missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Deleted my account and instagram too (facebook owns them as well). Haven't gotten rid of whatsapp just yet, but will have to switch over to viber or something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭maccored

its laughable people are only realising now about the data companies like facebook get from you. why the hell did anyone think it was free for if not to make money off your back?

wes wrote: »
    Deleted my account and instagram too (facebook owns them as well). Haven't gotten rid of whatsapp just yet, but will have to switch over to viber or something else.

as if viber dont do the same??

good luck convincing a few million people with that argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can check out any time you want but can never leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Meh.

Show me how to delete other people's accounts, and you'll have my attention. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

In your mortgage example its a prime reason why you need to set the security settings correctly. Only people you want to see your stuff should be able to.

As for boasting about how much you drink etc and having publicly visible settings you might aswell be walking down the street shouting about your weekend, you cant then complain if someone treats you badly because of it.

Yes visitors should have everything possible looked at when entering a foreign country. If they have a public profile which shows they are a threat then yes they should be stopped at the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I deactivated my account but I haven't deleted it yet. It's not out of security breach concerns - I'm just starting to hate people because of it. It's like this morning the missus was telling about a mutual friend living abroad who put up a post. She does that life coaching nonsense which is bad enough but now she's branching out into psychic healing and angel coaching or some such shíte and that knowledge kind of makes me hate her a little. I would have been blissfully ignorant of that piffle if it wasn't for facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why are you so determine that everyone else do what you did? You deleted Facebook, good for you. You could follow on not sharing with Facebook with not sharing with us . :)

I have never, ever had a Facebook, MySpace, Bebo or any account which would have my real name out there.

Above all else, instinctively it seems like a myopic and silly move. I've seen people glued to it, waiting, often on edge, on messages hour after hour, and expending ridiculously valuable and limited personal energy on all sorts of self-inflicted dramas in their Facebook accounts. Have some kids and a busy job and you'll value your time and limited energy levels a hell of a lot more.

And privacy, protect that above all else because you'll want to retreat from the world sometimes, and you won't want opponents knowing more about you than you know about them, or would give to them.

Why are you so determine that everyone else do what you did? You deleted Facebook, good for you. You could follow on not sharing with Facebook with not sharing with us . :)

If everyone else deletes their facebook, he'll no longer suffer from FOMO…

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    You or the hundreds like you, ye are like the size of a grain of salt in the ocean of facebook users.

I only joined facebook recently myself but I can't see what the problem is. You select who has access to your data, and don't approve anyone you don't trust. If you approve them then it's on you.

One thing you're definitely missing is Facebook when it was useful. Because you joined so late, all you're getting is one big rubbish dump of crap people find and share.

Basil3 wrote: »
    One thing you're definitely missing is Facebook when it was useful. Because you joined so late, all you're getting is one big rubbish dump of crap people find and share.

I'll be honest, I'm finding it harder and harder to see it as a useful tool these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

They are all tracking you. You think Facebook knows you are a bit of a racist/pervert, well imagine what google knows about you.

All that terrible stuff you searched for, especially while logged into gmail.

Like shooting fish in a barrel

Anyway, block the racist/pervert adverts they are pinpointing at you ya bunch of racists/perverts.

ADBLOCK Plus etc

That'll kill them off

Why not. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

What gets written on this site is owned by boards.ie. What is their approach to selling data? People give more qualitative information here and therefore more valuable for building a personalised file.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 21 francis_begbie

Even so, they won't get any further data , if everyone deleted their accounts it would show FB people do care but I suppose people are so addicted to social media that they really don't give a sh1t.

Lets see the poles who rather sell their souls than get rid of facebook lol.

Give a **** about what? Conspiracy theories peddled by Remoaners and clowns who can't get over Trump winning a democratic fair election? (albeit winning by the quirks of the electoral college beating the public vote, but winning nonetheless)

I'll pass, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Absolutely could not care less.
    This is a non issue.

How ignorant of fact can a person can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Two things.

Regardless of whether or not you approved it or even knew about it, if anyone on your friends list gave permission to an app, they could hoover up data on all their friends, including you. Of course FB will point to the fact that they've closed this 'loophole', but in reality they were making money out of selling access toy your data without you permission

Secondly even if you'd never been on Facebook in your life, but one of your friends had the Android app, it was harvesting not just contact details (so including your name and phone number) but also dates, times, and length of phone calls and texts they made to anyone, including you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

/delete

Should Facebook be held accountable for data breaches. Yes of course.

Yea but Facebook and their ilk have the ability to modify the social evolution of the general populous as they see fit. Tesco might be able to convince you to buy a different brand of tea bags, big difference here. It's not about how any one person feels about their data it's all about inferring information from data contained within massive data sets and making decisions (taking action) based on said information.

Massive data sets are comprised of millions of individuals (average Joe's) information. If all us average Joe's occupy the same space (planet earth) and don't take responsibility for our data, our children and grandchildren etc... may never get to enjoy the freedoms both you and I take for granted each day.

I work in the area which the media and most likely you refer to as 'Artificial Intelligence', I know enough to know the above statement is fact. Unfortunately, and I don't mean to offend you in any way here, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. I am not trying to insinuate you are stupid or anything, i'm sure you know far more about whatever it is you work at/are interested in than I do, but in the context of this converstaion you are simply too far away from the coal face to know what the miners are really up to.

+ their hell bent of ridding us of fake news, who decides what's fake and not ? posts get deleted all over facebook.

I'll decide thanks.

Next we won't have an internet it will be an inTRAnet like north Korea where we won't be able to access anything because it will all be censored.

I don't even care enough to read up about it properly never mind go around being paranoid and deleting my facebook page.

You sir are an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I just downloaded my Facebook data to see what they actually had stored on me and what shocked me is they've a huge amount of details about calls I've made on my phone and my contacts, including people's full postal addresses.

The data captured about calls included things like how many times I'd called certain people, whether I'd bounced calls to voicemail, when I last communicated with them.

These aren't FB contacts. They're just random people I have in my phone directory.

I clearly was quite naive when I accepted the T&Cs as I did not know they were capturing that level of metadata.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

Bye bye Facebook. Never using that site, or any of their associated services again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

wes wrote: »

Because they won’t do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I deactivated my account but I haven't deleted it yet. It's not out of security breach concerns - I'm just starting to hate people because of it. It's like this morning the missus was telling about a mutual friend living abroad who put up a post. She does that life coaching nonsense which is bad enough but now she's branching out into psychic healing and angel coaching or some such shíte and that knowledge kind of makes me hate her a little. I would have been blissfully ignorant of that piffle if it wasn't for facebook.

It’s so easy to avoid that. Don’t friend people you don’t like and if you absolutely have to because they’re related or whatever, just unfollow them so that they don’t show up in your newsfeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement