Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBP crashing a lot. Start Up Disc problem.

• 26-03-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Over the weekend I got the message on my 2012 retina MBP that the start up disc was full. I cleared a load of files and apps I don't use and now have 35GB free space. However, I'm still getting the disc full message along with the MacBook freezing several times already today requiring a hard restart. I've also noticed it's getting a lot hotter on the underside than previously. Any ideas? Is 35GB not enough space to run smoothly?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

First of all, this is a good time to make sure you have a working backup of everything important, in case the disk is just on the way out and dies suddenly.

35GB free space is more than enough, I typically run with 10-20GB with no issues. Could be some sort of disk error, so first thing to try might be Disk First Aid: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-disk-dskutl1040/mac. Though that won't find or fix everything that might be wrong; more advanced tools are available for €€€.

Firing up Console.app (preferably as an admin user) to look at the system logs after you've had to restart might tell you something useful about the problem, though since the Console redesign in 10.12 you may be out of luck as it doesn't show you historical messages by default IIRC. You can still get at those with a terminal command like:
    log show --style syslog --last 1h | more

to page through the last 1 hour's output, if you're comfortable with the Terminal.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I've done the above and still no closer to finding the culprit. I set up another admin account on the Macbook and I can use that perfectly, so I'm guessing the problem is with something installed on my other, original account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Duff wrote: »
    I've done the above and still no closer to finding the culprit. I set up another admin account on the Macbook and I can use that perfectly, so I'm guessing the problem is with something installed on my other, original account?

The retina 2012 had a gpu issue I believe was covered by an extended coverage by Apple could be too late for that but not for consumer law if bought in Ireland. That is more likely your culprit

Advertisement