Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance "extras", what's worth paying for?

• 26-03-2018 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

First time in years I've had to wade through a load of insurance websites for quotes and looks like AXA is the cheapest for me.

At one end of the scale I can go for Third Party Fire and Theft on an old banger or I can go fully comp, plus AXA offer a load of bolt on "Extras" if you want to buy them.

Glass Breakage - only on 3rd Party Fire and Theft
    Car and Key Rescue ~ €35
    Open Driving ~ €50
    Protected NCD ~ €60
    Injury Cover ~ €30
    Legal Expenses ~ €15
    Car Hire/Replacement Plus ~ €20
    Comprehensive Drive Other Cars ~ €25
    Change your excess at, set at €500 and taking it to Zero adds ~ €80

Add them all in and it would be about an extra €300 on the policy!

So Just wondering which ones people think are important.

As it is I might just ignore them all and go for the Third Party Fire and Theft quote of about €320 on an old 02 Polo including wife as additional driver (reduced quote by about €40).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

Good points,mine is up in may got me thinking,I'll drop open driving, might save a bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Good points,mine is up in may got me thinking,I'll drop open driving, might save a bob

I've not needed open driving in at least 20 years but seeing it there as an option makes me want it along with drive other cars :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

Yes to protected ncd. It will allow you 1 claim without it affecting your ncd. If you regularly drive another car you're not named on or allow people to drive your car who aren't named add comp doc (tp only is covered as standard) and open drive. But they probably aren't needed. The rest are just money makers for the insurance Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Personal Accident Cover - an additional 12euro (not much to be fair) but do you think it's required??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Personal Accident Cover - an additional 12euro (not much to be fair) but do you think it's required??

Its one I had for years on an AA policy but don't really see the need for it?

If it gives you piece of mind then at that price why not but thats really what the insurance company hopes you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

my3cents wrote: »
    Its one I had for years on an AA policy but don't really see the need for it?

If it gives you piece of mind then at that price why not but thats really what the insurance company hopes you think.

This is what is says on the website:
    We will pay the benefits outlined below to any insured person who is injured while in, getting into or getting out of a private car, while in, getting into or getting out of a train, bus, taxi, aircraft, boat, ship or hovercraft as a fare paying customer or as a pedestrian involving a road vehicle, train or aircraft.

For death, loss of sight in one or both eyes, or loss of one or more limbs we will pay €26,000.

We will pay €130 for each day spent as an inpatient in hospital for up to 20 day.

This cover is available as an optional extra on a Motor Insurance policy at a charge of €12 per policy. It is not necessary to purchase this optional extra in order to purchase a Car Insurance policy.

Advertisement