Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Weekend - Suggest a route

• 26-03-2018 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

With the Easter Bank Holiday weekend coming up, I'd like to leave from Dublin, go for a nice spin, stay somewhere overnight and then spin back the following day.

What route do I take and where do I go? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Down to east wall...get the ferry to wales and just ride....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Antrim Coast Road both ways.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Connemara: Roundstone, Lough Inagh, Sky road, Delphi, Leenane, Killary.
    Only 1 night away? ... take the motorway to hasten your arrival. I wouldn't normally say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

That sounds very appealing! Don't suppose you have a suggested route or gpx file etc?

Any good camp sites you'd rec?

I know have some tracks from previous visits but they won't be of use. I'll have a look for a route. But it's hard to go wrong; nearly every road is a joy.
    I never camped in that area but there are hostels in Cong and Killlary. Easier for one night I'd say but I'm a Summer-time only camper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Only 1 night away? ... take the motorway to hasten your arrival. I wouldn't normally say that.
    Worth doing the route above and also after leeaune go to louisbourg via the ashley falls,doolough valley and then stay in Westport where you will get hostels i. Its a great town with a proper buzz at the weekends. I would use the motorway to get to Galway quickly also and go from Westport back to Dublin the next day. When leaving Galway take in Spiddal and follow the coast , you cant go too wrong. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Esel wrote: »
    Antrim Coast Road both ways.

Can you link to the road you mean ? I'll be up that way for the weekend .

hondavfr wrote: »
    Worth doing the route above and also after leeaune go to louisbourg via the ashley falls,doolough valley and then stay in Westport where you will get hostels i. Its a great town with a proper buzz at the weekends. I would use the motorway to get to Galway quickly also and go from Westport back to Dublin the next day. When leaving Galway take in Spiddal and follow the coast , you cant go too wrong. Enjoy!

Westport - of course! A better choice. Cong and Killary hostel locations are quiet/isolated. You'd better book ahead I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭Esel

D3V!L wrote: »
    Can you link to the road you mean ? I'll be up that way for the weekend .

Start in Larne (but don't stop there...).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_road_(Northern_Ireland)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Take your pick from these.

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-ireland-/ireland-__2948.html

Each route can be exported as GPX if you're using a GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just found out I have Friday off!!! :D

This changes everything. Will do two nights away so. Might overnight in Westport

Thanks for the suggestions

Here's a .gpx route. Mostly coastal but I wanted to include the R344 along Lough Inagh. Not to be missed.
    So there's a zig-zag: north on the R336 (Maam Cross to Leenane) then south on the R344.
    Or just do the R344 in both directions - after a cup of tea at Kylemore.
    Safe riding!

Advertisement