Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buncrana pier victims family being sued

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Graces7 wrote: »
    W know what matters. That claims like this are morally defunct and greedy.
    And cancel out the good she did that day, and cause suffering to those far worse affected then she was.

OK?

OK!

Off outside to clear my old head of this junk!

For if money matters and justifying this... greed and inhumanity?

Have a good evening.

You have shown yourself to be completely ignorant of the facts.

I do not mind debating the pro's and con's of a claim culture, there are arguments to be had.

But before any argument people at least to to get the facts correct, you failed before you even got started...

Have a good weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why do people keep minimising her involvement to just holding the baby? Is it an attempt to justify their argument that what she experienced wasn't traumatic?

She entered the water herself during twilight on the same dangerous slipway the car went off, took the baby from her boyfriend (which she had thought had drowned at this point) and crawled back up the slip while her boyfriend went back to the submerged car, and used her body heat to prevent hypothermia.

Whether that is traumatic or not and due compensation is worthy of debate, but not some omissions trying to make her involvement seem spurious.

I'm not lying. I don't see what she did as any more traumatic to what other witnesses witnessed - the baby didn't die. The baby hadn't drowned. The baby was fine, in fact, though perhaps a little cold. This would all have been apparent almost instantly when she took hold of the baby. I'm not seeing where the trauma arises from her involvement with the baby. Out of interest, how many lifeguards who have saved drowning swimmers or RNLI volunteers who have save people have sued for PTSD? Surely that's far worse than taking hold of a baby that is in full health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

She saw and heard people in a sinking car screaming for their lives.

She saw her partner risk his life going to help him.

What is wrong with you ?

tretorn wrote: »
    She saw and heard people in a sinking car screaming for their lives.

She saw her partner risk his life going to help him.

What is wrong with you ?

The other witnesses witnessed the same. Are they all suing?

kaymin wrote: »
    I'm not lying. I don't see what she did as any more traumatic to what other witnesses witnessed

You mean the other witness who have also but in a claim?

The other witnesses witnessed the same. Are they all suing?

Yes.. Not sure how many but a number are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Omackeral wrote: »
    I hope she gets bad diarrhea on a packed rush hour bus.

I hope she gets hit by a bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not lying.
    Omitting pertinent facts in what looks like an attempt to justify your position wouldn't be classed as an honest debating tactic IMO.

You mean the other witness who have also but in a claim?

Have all the witnesses submitted a claim? What makes this case any different to the thousands of other tragic occurrences that people have witnessed but it never dawned on them to sue because, ultimately, living is dangerous.

• Advertisement

I hope she gets hit by a bus

Why? Fake moral outrage?

I am outraged you want her to get hit but a bus therefore I hope you get hit but a bus.... See where this takes us?

Omitting pertinent facts in what looks like an attempt to justify your position wouldn't be classed as an honest debating tactic IMO.

I'm waiting for these pertinent facts (and answers to the questions I posed)

Have all the witnesses submitted a claim?

A number of witness who where present on the pier are making claims.
    We do not know how many or who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You have shown yourself to be completely ignorant of the facts.

I do not mind debating the pro's and con's of a claim culture, there are arguments to be had.

But before any argument people at least to to get the facts correct, you failed before you even got started...

Have a good weekend!

My dear. I am not interested in what you call "facts" . I did not fail as I did not engage with your ideas in any way.

These are moraiity issues not legalistic, so your ideas are irrelevant to my concerns. You are on a different page and I refused to join you there. There is no argument.. no debate

Yes.. Not sure how many but a number are.

Probably jumping on the bandwagon.

I ask again, is this what you want Irish society to become? It's always someone else's fault - ignore the fact that he was a drunk driver, too drunk to act logically in a desperate situation that he caused by driving on a slimy sloped surface into the sea that is for use by boat users. Should we expect the councils to put up barriers along the whole coast line in case we have similar stupid actions by others?

My dear. I am not interested in what you call "facts" . I did not fail as I did not engage with your ideas in any way.

These are moraiity issues not legalistic, so your ideas are irrelevant to my concerns. You are on a different page and I refused to join you there. There is no argument.. no debate

You thought she was taking money from the family, as did many others on this thread. If that where actually the case I could at least understand your position.
    You got it wrong but instead of owning that you want to try and shift away from your mistake and focus on something else.

Next time look before you leap!

• Advertisement

It has already been stated that the others claiming put their claims in before she did.

It has already been stated that the others claiming put their claims in before she did.

So she's jumping on the bandwagon. They're all the same anyway.

I ask again, is this what you want Irish society to become? It's always someone else's fault - ignore the fact that he was a drunk driver, too drunk to act logically in a desperate situation that he caused by driving on a slimy sloped surface into the sea that is for use by boat users. Should we expect the councils to put up barriers along the whole coast line in case we have similar stupid actions by others?

The DCC will not pick up the entire tab for this.
    He was drunk his insurance is liable, the insurance company will offset that against the DCC if they can argue the slipway was dangerous regardless. It will be a % of liability.

So she's jumping on the bandwagon. They're all the same anyway.

Maybe... But as I said before, I am not a doctor not a mental health professional. The only unfortunate thing that happened here was a mistake by the solicitor in sending the legal documents to the father of the deceased, they should of been sent to the insurance company. If that had been done then this would of been settled behind closed doors.
    The family and the father would of been none the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A number of witness who where present on the pier are making claims.
    We do not know how many or who they are.

I don't care how many bad dreams they've had.

Shame on each and every one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Maybe... But as I said before, I am not a doctor not a mental health professional. The only unfortunate thing that happened here was a mistake by the solicitor in sending the legal documents to the father of the deceased, they should of been sent to the insurance company. If that had been done then this would of been settled behind closed doors.
    The family and the father would of been none the wiser.

If the documents were sent by the personal Injuries Assessment Board then by Law they do have to go to the next of kin of the deceased.

I would think this is what happened here.

Do the Insurance company have to pay out if someone is drunk driving a car, I thought the insurance policy would be invalidated except in a collision where a third party was injured.

Whats the position re passengers in a car driven by someone over the limit.

If the documents were sent by the personal Injuries Assessment Board then by Law they do have to go to the next of kin of the deceased.

I do not think that is the case.

"Insurance companies do not have an obligation to inform you of the outcome of a claim made against you and can agree a settlement without your knowledge or consent."

Do the Insurance company have to pay out if someone is drunk driving a car, I thought the insurance policy would be invalidated except in a collision where a third party was injured.

Third party will always be covered even if the driver is at fault
    Whats the position re passengers in a car driven by someone over the limit.

See above.

I'm waiting for these pertinent facts (and answers to the questions I posed)
    I know nothing about stats regarding PTSD and lifeguards. I don't know why you seem to think I would. I do know that she was in the water herself, do you acknowledge that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

You thought she was taking money from the family, as did many others on this thread. If that where actually the case I could at least understand your position.

She's not taking money from the family, she's taking it from everyone who pays motor insurance. Is that more moral?

I know nothing about stats regarding PTSD and lifeguards. I don't know why you seem to think I would. I do know that she was in the water herself, do you acknowledge that?

So she got her legs wet - what's your point?

I do not think that is the case.

"Insurance companies do not have an obligation to inform you of the outcome of a claim made against you and can agree a settlement without your knowledge or consent."

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the claimants suing the estate and the executor on behalf of the estate is in turn suing the insurance company?

Third party will always be covered even if the driver is at fault

I don't think it's as clear-cut - what precedent is there for third parties such as the girlfriend to successfully sue in these circumstances?

Her role and involvement was much more than just holding a baby than some would suggest. Not arguing whether what happened to her was deserving of compensation or not, just get your facts right.

Her role and involvement was much more than just holding a baby than some would suggest. Not arguing whether what happened to her was deserving of compensation or not, just get your facts right.

So you criticise me for leaving out an irrelevant point that she got her legs wet, as if that makes all the difference :rolleyes:

Any other pertinent facts you want to share?

So you criticise me for leaving out an irrelevant point that she got her legs wet, as if that makes all the difference :rolleyes:

Any other pertinent facts you want to share?
    Belittle her involvement all you want, as long as the facts are out there for others to see I'll be content.

Belittle her involvement all you want, as long as the facts are out there for others to see I'll be content.

I suggest you cease accusing people of lying without anything to back up your assertion.

• Advertisement

I suggest you cease accusing people of lying without anything to back up your assertion.
    I suggest you don't accuse people of accusing people of lying when they haven't. I was criticising a post for omitting information in order to belittle someone's experience. All I need to do prove that information was left out is quote the post saying all she did was take a baby, which I did. Just debate honestly and you'll get no objections from me.

I suggest you don't accuse people of accusing people of lying when they haven't. I was criticising a post for omitting information in order to belittle someone's experience. All I need to do prove that information was left out is quote the post saying all she did was take a baby, which I did. Just debate honestly and you'll get no objections from me.

Kind of ironic that you lie about accusing others of lying. Here's your original post before you revised it:

'Whether that is traumatic or not and due compensation is worthy of debate, but not some lie trying to make her involvement seem spurious.'

You can't even put forward a coherent argument about why the omission of the fact she got her legs wet is so vital to the discussion. It's getting pathetic.

Kind of ironic that you lie about accusing others of lying. Here's your original post before you revised it:

'Whether that is traumatic or not and due compensation is worthy of debate, but not some lie trying to make her involvement seem spurious.'

You can't even put forward a coherent argument about why the omission of the fact she got her legs wet is so vital to the discussion. It's getting pathetic.

??? I used the word omissions, take a look. You quoted it yourself.

I'm going round in circles now but for the last time saying (quoting from memory, can't multi quote on phone) 'she took the baby from her boyfriend. I don't think that's that traumatic' when nobody's arguing that's traumatic is dishonestly reducing her role.

It's being argued that entering the water on a dangerous slip, taking a baby which had possibly died from her boyfriend who was returning to the vehicle people were drowning in (and could possibly drown himself from her POV) crawling back up the slip and performing lifesaving actions on the baby is traumatic.

I'm not saying it's worthy of compensation or not, but of you're omitting facts from posts in an apparent move to strengthen your argument makes it seem that your argument wasn't all that strong to begin with.

??? I used the word omissions, take a look. You quoted it yourself.

I'm going round in circles now but for the last time saying (quoting from memory, can't multi quote on phone) 'she took the baby from her boyfriend. I don't think that's that traumatic' when nobody's arguing that's traumatic is dishonestly reducing her role.

It's being argued that entering the water on a dangerous slip, taking a baby which had possibly died from her boyfriend who was returning to the vehicle people were drowning in (and could possibly drown himself from her POV) crawling back up the slip and performing lifesaving actions on the baby is traumatic.

I'm not saying it's worthy of compensation or not, but of you're omitting facts from posts in an apparent move to strengthen your argument makes it seem that your argument wasn't all that strong to begin with.

Really? You're going to persist with this lie and then selectively quote what I've said after criticising me for leaving out some irrelevant point that you have no view whether it makes a difference to the discussion or not. You really take the biscuit.

In the interests of not derailing the thread further I'll not be replying to any more of your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

No one is supporting her, just pointing out ignorance and fake moral outrage from people who have no clue what they are talking about.

And does that make you feel good? To point that out.

Seriously, what should be talked about here, is not how much money should be owed here or how insurance works but if it is ethically and morally wrong to take these proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seriously, what should be talked about here, is not how much money should be owed here or how insurance works but if it is ethically and morally wrong to take these proceedings.

Banging head against that brick wall gets tedious. Does not compute with this username,,

Thankful that we know right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As it is my affair and am not suing anyone!

I can hardly believe that so many ar e supporting this woman.

You haven’t answered the question. Are you clinically diagnosed as having PTSD? Or self diagnosed? What symptoms have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You haven’t answered the question. Are you clinically diagnosed as having PTSD? Or self diagnosed? What symptoms have you?

Why are you haranguing the poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Why should be out of pocket for counseling when it was the drunk drivers fault? Whats ethical or moral about a girl suffering PTSD as a direct result of someone elses stupidity being left with the bill?

My take on the is you are all trying to come at this thinking you're being the "good guy" so too speak but most of the posters here are just being horrible. Graces says the good deed she did has been cancelled out by the claim. Kaymin has reduced what she did to getting her legs wet.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/buncrana-pier-tragedy-stephanie-knox-12264727

After the story broke the family did not take the view of all you did.

“My family doesn’t want that. The newspapers aren’t thinking of the consequences of this.

"The wee girl must have suffered psychological shock and I can understand that.

“This is in the hands of our solicitors. Life has to go on, I’m that type of person.”

From the Father who's interests you are all trying to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Rory28 wrote: »
    Why should be out of pocket for counseling when it was the drunk drivers fault? Whats ethical or moral about a girl suffering PTSD as a direct result of someone elses stupidity being left with the bill?

My take on the is you are all trying to come at this thinking you're being the "good guy" so too speak but most of the posters here are just being horrible. Graces says the good deed she did has been cancelled out by the claim. Kaymin has reduced what she did to getting her legs wet.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/buncrana-pier-tragedy-stephanie-knox-12264727

“My family doesn’t want that. The newspapers aren’t thinking of the consequences of this.

“This is in the hands of our solicitors. Life has to go on, I’m that type of person.”

Hopefully the big bucks the 'wee girl' gets from this family tragedy compensate for her psychological shock. Money always helps in these situations, doesn't it?

I hope her ex partner, who actually put his life at risk to save those people, manages to pull through without those big bucks.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Why are you haranguing the poster?

Haranguing?? Hahaha. I asked a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

This is opening the flood gate for people who now witness accidents having compensation for the stress of witnessing it.
    Where does it stop? If someone tells me a story that affects me? Watching a video that causes ptsd? Playing games?

At some point the line needs to be drawn where people are told that sometimes sh1t just happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, if she gets money the landfills won't be able to cope with the influx of soiled tissues from smarmy, ambulance-chasing solicitors who will immediately crank up the old advertising press.

Have you been at the scene of an accident? Have you seen human suffering or bodily injuries?
    Then come on over to Smarmy Vulture Solicitors where we will fight for your right to compensation!
    If someone has disturbed your fragile little mind by having the audacity to suffer an injury or worse in front of you, we WILL make them pay.
    Don't worry if the person has not survived the event that caused you sleepless nights, we can make the next of kin pay up. Where there is death, there is family, children or spouses we can make pay for your misfortune!
    So, be it an accident at work, in the street, a public building, at home or even just visiting a friend, come on over, we'll tell you how much money YOU are entitled to!
    If others were present, invite them along.
    We also specialise in crowd compensation, so if you are in a large crowd when this awful thing happened to you, get everyone's name and number.
    Special crowd discounts!

Hopefully the big bucks the 'wee girl' gets from this family tragedy compensate for her psychological shock. Money always helps in these situations, doesn't it?

I hope her ex partner, who actually put his life at risk to save those people, manages to pull through without those big bucks.

Or maybe they just compensate her for the counselling. Money is a worry to most people so if she doesn't have to worry about the cost of it then yes I would imagine it will help in this situation.

She should not profit from this tragedy but she should also not be out of pocket because of it as well.

Well, if she gets money the landfills won't be able to cope with the influx of soiled tissues from smarmy, ambulance-chasing solicitors who will immediately crank up the old advertising press.

Have you been at the scene of an accident? Have you seen human suffering or bodily injuries?
    Then come on over to Smarmy Vulture Solicitors where we will fight for your right to compensation!
    If someone has disturbed your fragile little mind by having the audacity to suffer an injury or worse in front of you, we WILL make them pay.
    Don't worry if the person has not survived the event that caused you sleepless nights, we can make the next of kin pay up. Where there is death, there is family, children or spouses we can make pay for your misfortune!
    So, be it an accident at work, in the street, a public building, at home or even just visiting a friend, come on over, we'll tell you how much money YOU are entitled to!
    We also specialise in crowd compensation, so if you are in a large crowd when this awful thing happened to you, get everyone's name and number.
    Special crowd discounts!

hilarious

• Advertisement

Special crowd discounts!

Quick, quick the sky is falling.

Kaymin has reduced what she did to getting her legs wet.

Would you listen to yourself! Did you even read my posts? I omitted the fact that she got her legs wet which chizler has been haranguing me about ever since. You now claim that's all I said she did. Some plonkers on this forum.

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

hilarious

Quick, quick the sky is falling.

If every witness to a car crash is now entitled to compensation due to trauma, well, what you think will happen?
    Do you enjoy paying paying €1k annually for car insurance?
    I guess you will enjoy paying €2k even more.
    Then you'll start threads why cars over 10 years are uninsurable and car insurance are a cartel and only out to gouge you.
    It's bad enough that "ouch my neck hurts" nets you €15k in compo cash, but now "I saw something bad!", will also bag you a few grand.
    If this becomes a thing, anyone who thinks that solicitors will not mercilessly and ruthlessly exploit this for maximum gain, is as innocent as a newborn kitten.
    And anyone suggesting that people aren't willing to exploit an unfortunate situation for financial gain, is either very blue eyed or a solicitor.
    The first duty of a business is to exploit all avenues of profit to the absolute max.
    This will be like solicitors striking a massive mother lode.
    But of course we all know that compo cash is like manna from the sky. It's inexhaustible and has absolutely no connection to insurance premiums whatsoever.
    Or so solicitors are very adamant at pointing out quite passionately.
    Well, they're not gonna piss in their own soup and they will shut anyone up doing so.

If every witness to a car crash is now entitled to compensation due to trauma, well, what you think will happen?
    Do you enjoy paying paying €1k annually for car insurance?
    I guess you will enjoy paying €2k even more.
    Then you'll start threads why cars over 10 years are uninsurable and car insurance are a cartel and only out to gouge you.
    It's bad enough that "ouch my neck hurts" nets you €15k in compo cash, but now "I saw something bad!", will also bag you a few grand.
    If this becomes a thing, anyone who thinks that solicitors will not mercilessly and ruthlessly exploit this for maximum gain, is as innocent as a newborn kitten.
    The first duty of a business is to exploit all avenues of profit to the absolute max.
    This will be like solicitors striking a massive mother lode.
    But of course we all know that compo cash is like manna from the sky. It's inexhaustible and has absolutely no connection to insurance premiums whatsoever.
    Or so solicitors are very adamant at pointing out quite passionately.
    Well, they're not gonna piss in their own soup and they will shut anyone up doing so.

She has been diagnosed with PTSD. Its a bit more serious than "I saw something bad!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement