Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Young Fruit Trees

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Are you sure they are only one year old? They look two, must be the Irish climate.

Tricky to judge the scale and breadth but essentially pruning is about creating a shape like a big Port glass to create a space in the middle of the branches.

Remove all the branches on the bottom "unified" section of the tree stems, cut them flush against the stem. Cut remaining branches back just above an outward facing bud at an angle (like so \) that way water does not rest on the exposed profile. I'd leave about 2-2.5 feet

Clean your cutters before and between cuts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're possibly right in that they were possibly a year old when I got them a year ago.
    I'll follow your advice anyhow, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On the last tree - Discovery apple - remove that small branch which is pointing roughly at 1 o'clock. It seems to be growing from the bottom of a primary lateral branch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

The pear is starting to produce leaves so pruning needs to be done without delay. Gardeners World on BBC said last week this was the last week for pruning fruit trees as it would be too late soon. I'd be inclined to take out the smaller central branch completely to help give the pear a more open growth pattern. I'd also completely take off the two smaller side branches that are growing straight out as these would likely start to droop down if they ever were to be carrying any weight of fruit in a few years time. I don't see any pruning being necessary this year on the Bramley apple and would only trim the small lateral branches on the Discovery apple as like the pear these would in time be unable to hold up any weight of fruit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Job done. Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I picked up a copy of RHS Pruning & Training from Easons at the weekend.

While the depth is mostly limited to a few paragraphs on each thing, the breadth is amazing. Standards, bushes, spindle bushes, pyramids, fans, cordons, espaliers, stepovers, palmettes...and that's just the apples!

I really want a fig fan now.

Advertisement