Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mpv/estate Camper

Options
  • 26-03-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm looking for an MPV or estate, budget is 2500, that I can use as a mini Camper at weekends; single bed, room for surf boards and some cooking equipment. I'm not keen on the citron berlingo or similar which has a high roof as I'd like to also enjoy the drive. As I don't do a lot of traveling on a daily basis I'm looking for a 1.6 petrol, or 1.4 if it means being more fuel efficient. I like the look of the VW Passat however I'm not sure if the petrol version is all that efficient. Also not sure about head spaced as in it seems to be low from its specs, but I may stand corrected. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Dont rule out the Doblo and similar, because of a high roof.

Campers have high roofs, for movement around inside. Also benefits carrying capacity

on a roof rack or roof box. And the 1.3 diesels run on a whiff of fuel, and have great cargo

capacity inside.

I suspect you need to increase your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mazda Demio was a kind of Mini Camper the seats folded flat and you could make a single or double out of them
    I'd say you'd buy an older one very cheap now and have some money left over for interiors slide out stuff like cookers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dylan20

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Mazda Demio was a kind of Mini Camper the seats folded flat and you could make a single or double out of them
    I'd say you'd buy an older one very cheap now and have some money left over for interiors slide out stuff like cookers etc.

Hi

I had a look on Done deals there and it looks very small. Is there a certain year that was bigger?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

dylan20 wrote: »
    Hi

I had a look on Done deals there and it looks very small. Is there a certain year that was bigger?

Thanks

Demio is a ball of ****e -all the refinement of a cinquecento.

I'd avoid b5 and b5.5 passat too suspension is a disaster.

Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan is pretty reliable and offers tons of space some of them have swivelling front seats from the factory. there are bargains if youre willing to wait. Super easy to clock them though you can never believe the mileage so youd need to be looking at overall condition in wear on controls, trim etc

Demio is a ball of ****e -all the refinement of a cinquecento.

I'd avoid b5 and b5.5 passat too suspension is a disaster.

Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan is pretty reliable and offers tons of space some of them have swivelling front seats from the factory. there are bargains if youre willing to wait. Super easy to clock them though you can never believe the mileage so youd need to be looking at overall condition in wear on controls, trim etc

Hi

I can't go over 1.6 for both Tax and insurance reasons so just wondering if a 1.6 is good enough for the bodies on the models you've mentioned. I'm worried that it will be underpowered and less fuel efficient. Any opinion on the ford corolla Verso 7 seater or Ford C max. Mind you I think the latter is over my budget.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla Verso is good because the rear seats fold completely flat, I’ve slept in a few and they’re ideal for it!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Corolla Verso is good because the rear seats fold completely flat, I’ve slept in a few and they’re ideal for it!

Cheap as chips in a 1.6 too, do you know what the load length is with all seats folded? I think they're very narrow between the arches

You’ve got just over 1m between the arches but your feet would be there.
    Boot door to the end of the folded down seat is 1700 or 5’7” but you slide the driver and passenger seats forward and you’d be grand.

Boot door to the end of the folded down seat is 1700 or 5’7” but you slide the driver and passenger seats forward and you’d be grand.

Depends how tall the OP is I suppose.

I see kampa are doing a tailgate awning now, we have the big travel pod and the quality is excellent.
    http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/kampa-travel-pod-tailgater-new-for-2018/

I’m 6’1 and I was grand! Not sure I’d be doing it every weekend to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Have a look at the Citroen grand Picasso, ticks all your boxes. The folding seats are incredibly well designed, gives you a full van.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citron-c4-grand-picasso-price-drop/18097748

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have a look at the Citroen grand Picasso, ticks all your boxes. The folding seats are incredibly well designed, gives you a full van.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citron-c4-grand-picasso-price-drop/18097748

That PSA DV6 engine wouldn't inspire confidence in me as a small mile daily.

Cheap as chips in a 1.6 too, do you know what the load length is with all seats folded? I think they're very narrow between the arches

That's a good question.

Would it fit two people comfortable if needed?

dylan20 wrote: »
    Would it fit two people comfortable if needed?

Not if they’re both tall or they’re platonic!

Not if they’re both tall or they’re platonic!

Haha..didn't expect that one! Back to the drawing the board in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd check insurance too, as even the car version of vans can be problematic to insure (well were when I last looked into it anyway!).

Advertisement