Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FOREGOLF KILLEEN CASTLE 2018 FITTING & PRICING!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

You’re starting to sound like an advert......

Starting? More like the entire thread. Have my suspicions he is connected to the company in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Starting? More like the entire thread. Have my suspicions he is connected to the company in some way.

New account, 8 posts all in this thread.......doesn’t exactly need Hercule Poirot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liammcdevitt

New account, 8 posts all in this thread.......doesn’t exactly need Hercule Poirot!!

New account? On here since 7th july 2011
    Really makes you look very clever that last statement ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

You did say that nobody in McGuirks or Halpenny is out building clubs for the tour pros. But that doesnt mean that they couldnt. Every tour fitter has to start somewhere and Id be astonished if there were any branches of either store that didnt have a fully qualified fitter on staff.

Also, an experienced and talented fitter with tour experience may opt to set down roots somewhere - not everyone enjoys the itinerant lifestyle that comes with being part of one of the tours.

I wouldn't assume that non-tour fitters are not as good as the boys and girls on tour.

Maybe some fitters want an easy life selling stuff to players less informed and way less demanding than tour pros ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

And i forced you to read the whole lot of it? Exactly! Clown...

Based my opinion on what you have posted. And no I didn't read the entire thread, got bored fairly quickly. No need to personalise it.

• Advertisement

Also, an experienced and talented fitter with tour experience may opt to set down roots somewhere - not everyone enjoys the itinerant lifestyle that comes with being part of one of the tours.

I wouldn't assume that non-tour fitters are not as good as the boys and girls on tour.

Maybe some fitters want an easy life selling stuff to players less informed and way less demanding than tour pros ;)

Yes 100%..i agree with you. I know a couple who did. This was obviously a very divided topic and that's fine but now there's a couple of people saying I work for them 😊
    I could think of better ways to promote a company than open a thread on boards ha ha

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Based my opinion on what you have posted. And no I didn't read the entire thread, got bored fairly quickly. No need to personalise it.

Apologies. And i don't work for foregolf, taylormade or the harrington golf academy..or anyone else i mentioned that I liked ..

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I'm regularly speaking to a man who worked for years in the titleist TPI institute in USA and he would disagree strongly with you. What do you base your statement on???? I have seen first hand 2 sets of my custom build clubs on a machine. Length , lie & loft all wrong!!

The guy who worked for 'years' at TPI is also known to embellish stories too. One is that he worked for years at TPI, he didn't.

Let's look at the claims being made by Fore Golf and how much truth is there to them.

One is they are the only company in the world to get components heads from Callaway and build them outside the factory. Head only Callaway accounts are common. They have made other claims about component heads that are not true either such as 'We are the only Clubmakers in Ireland and UK to have exclusive shaft options to suit every level of player.' This is also not true. There are many.

They build clubs with exact specifications, a golfer came to me with a wedge built by them, the loft on the wedge was out by 6 degrees, the rest of his set wasn't to specification either, lofts and lengths were out.

They talk about hand building clubs, this confuses me, does someone use a machine to build them?

There's mention of a special fitting ball. I've never heard of such a thing, they just look like range balls, why not use a Pro V1 or a TP5?

Way too many golfers come out with the same fit, longer then standard irons, too upright and lightweight extra stiff shafts. Same with drivers, very common to see lightweight extra stiff driver shafts.

They're very good at marketing, just not very good at fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

The guy who worked for 'years' at TPI is also known to embellish stories too. One is that he worked for years at TPI, he didn't.

Let's look at the claims being made by Fore Golf and how much truth is there to them.

One is they are the only company in the world to get components heads from Callaway and build them outside the factory. Head only Callaway accounts are common. They have made other claims about component heads that are not true either such as 'We are the only Clubmakers in Ireland and UK to have exclusive shaft options to suit every level of player.' This is also not true. There are many.

They build clubs with exact specifications, a golfer came to me with a wedge built by them, the loft on the wedge was out by 6 degrees, the rest of his set wasn't to specification either, lofts and lengths were out.

They talk about hand building clubs, this confuses me, does someone use a machine to build them?

There's mention of a special fitting ball. I've never heard of such a thing, they just look like range balls, why not use a Pro V1 or a TP5?

Way too many golfers come out with the same fit, longer then standard irons, too upright and lightweight extra stiff shafts. Same with drivers, very common to see lightweight extra stiff driver shafts.

This brought a tear to my eye. Finally a bit of balance based on what looks like an informed opinion.

As I said earlier, they seem like a good operation to me. It's just the OTT perception they generate (either themselves or through others) can get a bit out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

First Up wrote: »
    What does "fine" mean? Are you off scratch?

Yes, they will assess your current clubs. I did that with them a while back with the set of clubs I'd had custom fitted (elsewhere) previously. Their conclusion was that what I have is close enough to being right not to justify changing anything. No attempt to sell me something I didn't need.

What fine means is that i hit the ball well consistently. I'm not off scratch but i am single figures.

Running through the bag to check lofts/lies and suitabilty does sound interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

In recent years I have tinkered with the idea of having my clubs fitted, and always liked the idea of going to FG for a fitting, but was always put off by the potential cost involved, The standard reply whenever I had the conversation about going there is "good, but expensive" - but it's expensive to buy a new set anyway the shops. 

Credit has to be given to FG - from a set up in the back of a truck to where they are now, good luck to them! 

But, I would tend to agree with a previous post on this thread, if i decide to have any alterations made to my clubs I will more than likely go to the pro's at my club, as there is a level of trust they would'nt shaft me !! -sorry pardon the pun :)

The fee of €50 / €100 FG charge for the consultation with no details given, is a tricky one - if they give you all the specs, the danger for them is you are just going to leave and head off with the a4 sheet and buy somewhere else. And I suppose they may right in this regard, the charge just seems to be for their time. 

Is it worthwhile having your clubs custom fitted from your experience, even mentally ? ? maybe more important just to get the driver fitted? 

If it is, I am open to go to Halpenny, McGuirks, American Golf, Foregolf, and some rubbish shops as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Personally I think for the irons at least that the basics length, shaft optimisation can be done at most fitters and will be all thats needed.

The variables in playing on a course hitting your irons would far outweigh any fitting for the specifics, we are constantly hitting from up, down side lies, bare lies thick rough etc. How many times do you hear from the vast majority of golfers oh i had to take a bit off that iron or go a bit harder that would negate surely a lot of the minutiae of iron fittings.

Ok if your a real swing mechanics guy and have a super repeatable swing in all conditions with same angle of attack, etc maybe the full on fitting is for you, but I would argue thats a very small percentage of golfers.

I play regularly with a guy who got the full on fitting with FG and also bought a different set of clubs off ebay of all places for holiday golf, he swaps between the sets and youd never know the difference.

Driver fitting is a different animal though as we 'should' be hitting this with the same swing off a lovely level teebox. So there I can see a real advantage of good fitters be it FG or your local pro.

See that is what I was thinking - maybe the Driver is the important one! I'm the average sized Joe, so presume clubs (irons) on the production line and set for the average sized person ! 
    That would be the fear if I went with the entire set, then all of a sudden my old set where better suited!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

I went for a fitting in 2014. It turns out I was capable of carrying a 6 iron 196 yards and carrying a driver 290 in the air based on the trackman. All with a range ball. I think there's an element of ego stroking to an extent as I've never been able to hit that in reality i.e. on the course. My Sunday best drives, with the club I ended up ordering from them, top out at 250 carry distance anytime I've made some crudimentary measurements with a GPS and with proper golf balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I dont really get the FG bashing. You know what you are going to get before you go so if its not for you don't go simple. €100 is expensive but so is a BMW doesn't mean you have to buy one.

I went to FG 4 years ago for a full bag check first time there and it was a good experience. I bought Irons & rescue from them as mentioned already. The Irons were €50 dearer than the shops but had upgraded shafts or different to stock ones they also gave me a free wedge worth €100+ and 2 green fees for Killeen castle and do this for most who buy clubs so that's €200 back there. They told me my driver was my best fitted club in my bag and not to change it TM R11 which I was fitted for in American golf. If I hadn't of gone to FG thats the first club I would of changed as I was hitting it terrible but they told me it was a swing issue to get a lesson. I still use my R11 today by the way.

My experience was I loved it. Some people have this idea that they are dear yes taking the price of the fitting €100 I can see why but as far as I'm aware they only fit for the latest clubs or a cheaper option is to alter the clubs you have. So if you went today they would fit the TM M3 or 4. You couldn't get fitted for M1 or 2 of course this would be cheaper as they are a older model now. Like you can pick a M1 or M2 in halpenny now for €200 in some stores but they only have a few left when they came out they were €400 or something. But you get the point Im making I hope.

Can club pro's fit the same? Of course they can

Can the shops fit the same? I would say yes to a point, But FG would have more options shafts etc to choose from and maybe more experience because the €100 is paying for their time as well. So there not just pushing a sale to a point like the shops would be. Nothing wrong with either they are both a business after all.

To me I love all the tech even when talking to lads in Halpenny & American Golf and I believe Mcguirks and some of the others charge €30 now for a fitting but take it off the price if you buy from them.

There is very little mark up on clubs believe it or not. My clubs were dear at the time but 4 years later I still love them and they are in great nick. I have confidence in them and will have them for easily 4/5 more. It stopped me from chopping and changing all the time especially the driver which I didnt even purchase from them! and of course a good Club Pro could do the same. But how many shops and Pro's have trackman obviously some do but not all.

I have mainly got fitted in the likes of American golf previous to ever going to FG some fittings were good and some were terrible and a total waste of money. FG has being the best as in I have held on to my clubs the longest even my driver which is rare for me as we all love new shiny toys :D but I have stopped buying into all the Sales pitches these days and spend my money on lessons or playing more golf and on different courses..

So a person I never even named 'embellished' stories? And a company who work with tour pros day in day out and won awards etc fit wedges 6 degrees out? This is the point where I unfollow the thread. Utter nonsense like that. Titlesit (who i don't work for either btw)state on their website 2 degrees is the max you can bend a club! And i can only imagine is the same for other companies. Anything more than 3 or 4 is unheard of! But 6?? Stop the lights...
    Funny he 'came to you' with a wedge ? How would be able to test this unless you are in the game of fitting yourself. And i was the one getting accused of working for a company. Seems someone's nose is out of joint here ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

So a person I never even named 'embellished' stories? And a company who work with tour pros day in day out and won awards etc fit wedges 6 degrees out? This is the point where I unfollow the thread. Utter nonsense like that. Titlesit (who i don't work for either btw)state on their website 2 degrees is the max you can bend a club! And i can only imagine is the same for other companies. Anything more than 3 or 4 is unheard of! But 6?? Stop the lights...
    Funny he 'came to you' with a wedge ? How would be able to test this unless you are in the game of fitting yourself. And i was the one getting accused of working for a company. Seems someone's nose is out of joint here ha ha

TPI is quite a small company, there is not many people who have worked with them. I know the person you are talking about, the golf industry is a small world.

Fore golf do not work with tour pros day in day out, they might work with an odd one during the year.

Golf clubs are easily bent to much more then 2 degrees, especially with soft metals. If you don't want to believe the wedge was out that's fine by me, I deal with evidence that's presented to me. Fore golf make a lot of claims that aren't backed up. If some one makes claims they have to be open to rigorous assessment of their claims too.

If you want to say my nose is out of joint that's fine, I've only presented evidence to the contrary of their claims.

TPI is quite a small company, there is not many people who have worked with them. I know the person you are talking about, the golf industry is a small world.

Fore golf do not work with tour pros day in day out, they might work with an odd one during the year.

Golf clubs are easily bent to much more then 2 degrees, especially with soft metals. If you don't want to believe the wedge was out that's fine by me, I deal with evidence that's presented to me. Fore golf make a lot of claims that aren't backed up. If some one makes claims they have to be open to rigorous assessment of their claims too.

If you want to say my nose is out of joint that's fine, I've only presented evidence to the contrary of their claims.

Ah now i know it 'bends' more than 2 def but its in no way recommended. Or good for a club. 6 degrees out, I've never heard such a claim. But look...Anyway this topic is so divided it's unbelievable. I have never come across a company that doesn't blow their own trumpet in fairness. I also personally have seen the evidence in front of me. So it's a never ending discusion really. Where would you go for a fit then? You seem to be knowledge based...I might get wedges done next..and despite what people think im open to new ideas. I'll research it to death but look that's the fun in it..ps I thought I'd unfollowed the thread :-)

Ah now i know it 'bends' more than 2 def but its in no way recommended. Or good for a club. 6 degrees out, I've never heard such a claim. But look...Anyway this topic is so divided it's unbelievable. I have never come across a company that doesn't blow their own trumpet in fairness. I also personally have seen the evidence in front of me. So it's a never ending discusion really. Where would you go for a fit then? You seem to be knowledge based...I might get wedges done next..and despite what people think im open to new ideas. I'll research it to death but look that's the fun in it..ps I thought I'd unfollowed the thread :-)

Try Birr GC

Oasis or Blur ? :)

• Advertisement

Oasis or Blur ? :)

Blur ! Oh no wait - oasis...I was only watching it last night ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Just on this, and I'm not trying for a second to disagree with you here (as I believe you're right), nor am I trying to knock FG, they do what they do. But I find it hard to believe, for example, with so many tour pros owning their own trackman nowadays, that a fully equipped tour van and professional fitter wouldn't do a perfectly good build of any club for a pro.

When I think about it logically, if a tour van was churning out clubs for pros that were several degrees or inches or whatever, out of spec, there'd be uproar amongst their players. There's no way I can believe that happens. Obviously anyone can make a mistake and a single club or build might be wrong, but on a regular basis ? there's just no way IMHO.

I think the benefit of FG for that masses is that they have many brands available, as opposed to, say, Carton House where its all Titleist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Russman wrote: »
    Just on this, and I'm not trying for a second to disagree with you here (as I believe you're right), nor am I trying to knock FG, they do what they do. But I find it hard to believe, for example, with so many tour pros owning their own trackman nowadays, that a fully equipped tour van and professional fitter wouldn't do a perfectly good build of any club for a pro.

When I think about it logically, if a tour van was churning out clubs for pros that were several degrees or inches or whatever, out of spec, there'd be uproar amongst their players. There's no way I can believe that happens. Obviously anyone can make a mistake and a single club or build might be wrong, but on a regular basis ? there's just no way IMHO.

I think the benefit of FG for that masses is that they have many brands available, as opposed to, say, Carton House where its all Titleist.

Agree with you. Of course they would.

Again, it’s just marketing. For the general players, if shops and club pros can fit properly, and if manufacturers build accurately themselves, there’s less of a need/market for FG. So they (as any business should) play up their (perceived) strengths over others (perceived) weaknesses.

In reality, their range set up, selection of demo clubs, availability of shafts, fitting knowledge and reasonable pricing genuinely gives them a rightful place in the market.

It’s the “you’d be mad to trust any of those other ejits” vibe I get from them (in fairness, more implied than overtly stated) that is annoying.

Because the reality is also that a fitting by John Driving Range Pro or McGuirks or whoever, is easily more than good enough to fit anyone of us who aren’t in the elite of the elite category. And the “builds” that come direct from the factories of major brands are not (as suggested) always or often wrong - at least not by a margin that would actually matter.

Doesn’t mean their strengths aren’t legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Did anyone have much of a transformation after getting a driver fitting. Have been threatening to get fitted for a while but honestly would hate to waste the money for little gain.

Did anyone have much of a transformation after getting a driver fitting. Have been threatening to get fitted for a while but honestly would hate to waste the money for little gain.

Yeah I did, now admittedly I was going from an old driver (R9 Supertri) that wasnt fitted for me, to a newer driver in my case the G30. Now I may be in honeymoon period but ball flight is way better, have gained noticeable distance and is certainly more forgiving. I didnt need anything fancy in the upgrade stakes for the shaft as numbers showed an 'average' swing speed for stiff. But did try out a few shafts with the final head decision and was good to see numbers match how I felt. Has certainly given me confidence in swinging the club rather that trying to fight the set up I had previously

(the numbers with the G30 meant that couldnt justify going with a brand new model which gave me negligible if any improvement - in any case I think the prices charged for new drivers are nuts, but thats another discussion)

Webbs wrote: »
    Yeah I did, now admittedly I was going from an old driver (R9 Supertri) that wasnt fitted for me, to a newer driver in my case the G30. Now I may be in honeymoon period but ball flight is way better, have gained noticeable distance and is certainly more forgiving. I didnt need anything fancy in the upgrade stakes for the shaft as numbers showed an 'average' swing speed for stiff. But did try out a few shafts with the final head decision and was good to see numbers match how I felt. Has certainly given me confidence in swinging the club rather that trying to fight the set up I had previously

(the numbers with the G30 meant that couldnt justify going with a brand new model which gave me negligible if any improvement - in any case I think the prices charged for new drivers are nuts, but thats another discussion)

I got my m2 driver m1 3 wood with taylormade in mcguirks and they are in soon. You should definitely book in for a look. Garth Boyd is their usual guy and he's top notch I find (have had about 10 clubs done through him) and they bring literally a lorry load of options with them. It costs no more than what mcguirks sell for (you get your specs leaving unlike FG who i still don't work for:-))but the range of shafts which are available at no up charge is huge these days. The likes of hzrdus black project x are a 200€+ shaft available at no extra charge with taylormade and others now.
    The fitting is 30 mins but needs to be booked in advance. I highly recommend fitting. Even the tiniest slightest change of shaft made a difference to me last year. Ifv the tour truck is in they will build the club there and then for you...
    What have you got to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I liked the part where the OP's thread subject was in all caps and with an exclamation mark at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Wedges: Everyone is talking about specs by the sounds of it we want them to be bang on, within a degree maybe?
    How well do you deliver that lie angle when you swing?

How do you compensate on an uphill lie or down hill lie?
    Or can you compensate?

The only time you need to make an adjustment is when you have a very good swing and a very consistent miss right or left.

We are guilty of focusing on a number or spec because that's what we been told.
    Take control of your own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not precisely on topic but linked & an interesting view:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

Wedges: Everyone is talking about specs by the sounds of it we want them to be bang on, within a degree maybe?
    How well do you deliver that lie angle when you swing?

How do you compensate on an uphill lie or down hill lie?
    Or can you compensate?

The only time you need to make an adjustment is when you have a very good swing and a very consistent miss right or left.

We are guilty of focusing on a number or spec because that's what we been told.
    Take control of your own game.

Exactly. Once you're swing is repeating and misses are predictable then custom fitting is then an option for tightening dispersion, potentially increasing length by increasing lauch/decreasing spin and for mitigating your misses.

Advertisement