Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Play Horror Stories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

kiers47 wrote: »
    Is the maximum amount of holes that you can lose not 2? Or at least that was my understanding of the rule.

Yep, its a maximum of two holes. You'd lose one hole for every hole the breach occurred on, up to a max of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Playing 4BBB interclub I realised on the 3rd fairway that I hadn’t removed a club I had been trialing on the range beforehand so had15 clubs in the bag.......instantly went to 3 down in match

How was that copped? Did you own up or did the opponents count your clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

kiers47 wrote: »
    Is the maximum amount of holes that you can lose not 2? Or at least that was my understanding of the rule.

Could well have been 2 holes, not 3

callaway92 wrote: »
    How was that copped? Did you own up or did the opponents count your clubs?

I realised and owned up - unfortunately our club captain was following our match at the time :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I realised and owned up - unfortunately our club captain was following our match at the time :o:(

and thats why Big Chap has never been picked to represent a team ever since :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

It's a fairly minor incident compared to some, but a few years back in a club matchplay a guy claimed a hole on a rule I broke. At the time I just thought it was a pity I didn't know the rule, but after chatting to people after it and thinking about it it was a knobish thing to do.

We were all square on 16 and my partner and I had basically the same putt for par to win the hole from about 6 feet. I missed mine first and when I picked up my ball told my friend to aim about a cup up from the hole and tapped the group roughly at where I thought he should aim. I didn't realise that you are allowed to hover the club to point to where to aim, but not touch the ground. Now just to stress, I didn't touch the line of his putt or anything, I was simply giving him advice on the line.

As I say, at the time I was a bit annoyed I didn't know the rule, but that was all. But on reflection, I'd hate to win a match like that. The quality of golf in the match compared to our handicaps was ridiculous, we all just played great that day. I think this might have been what annoyed him. We were all playing of between 11 and 16, but there were 8 birdies between us that day.

Unfortunately after that hole we parred the next to bring it back to all square, birdied the 18th for a half, birdied the first for a half and then I three putted from about 12 feet for a bogey on the second to lose the match. In my defence, it was a lightening first putt on the green, not an easy two putt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fair play, but not sure why you did tbh. There's being too honest in life. . .

callaway92 wrote: »
    Fair play, but not sure why you did tbh. There's being too honest in life. . .

Where do I start - I could write an essay on the subject, but when it comes to golf there is no such thing as being too honest - you can’t pick and choose which ones you are going to play by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

blue note wrote: »
    It's a fairly minor incident compared to some, but a few years back in a club matchplay a guy claimed a hole on a rule I broke. At the time I just thought it was a pity I didn't know the rule, but after chatting to people after it and thinking about it it was a knobish thing to do.

We were all square on 16 and my partner and I had basically the same putt for par to win the hole from about 6 feet. I missed mine first and when I picked up my ball told my friend to aim about a cup up from the hole and tapped the group roughly at where I thought he should aim. I didn't realise that you are allowed to hover the club to point to where to aim, but not touch the ground. Now just to stress, I didn't touch the line of his putt or anything, I was simply giving him advice on the line.

Not sure it says about me but I’d have no problem calling you on that one, it’s a pretty basic rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea I think that is actually correct. You can dispute a hole there and then to get clarification when match is over. Essentially playing the remaining holes with 2 possible scorelines in the running.
    Indeed you can, you actually declare you are claiming the hole prior to teeing off on the next hole and get a ruling from an official after the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

Not sure it says about me but I’d have no problem calling you on that one, it’s a pretty basic rule.

It is, but also a stupid one. Holding your putter 5mm off the ground to indicate a line or actually touching the ground makes no difference. The rules really need to be modernised and made simple asap. Another I've seen broken on multiple occasions is the old ball near the hole and someone requests it be left there for a line or attempting to hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It is, but also a stupid one. Holding your putter 5mm off the ground to indicate a line or actually touching the ground makes no difference. The rules really need to be modernised and made simple asap. Another I've seen broken on multiple occasions is the old ball near the hole and someone requests it be left there for a line or attempting to hit it.
    By touching the ground you can make a mark that the player can aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I always just leave my ball there and wait to see if my playing partner asks me to mark it. Saves any wrong doing and makes me look fierce sound ;)

Rikand wrote: »
    I always just leave my ball there and wait to see if my playing partner asks me to mark it. Saves any wrong doing and makes me look fierce sound ;)

That's one way around it.

I always felt that the older the player the worse their carry on was. Anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

prawnsambo wrote: »
    By touching the ground you can make a mark that the player can aim for.

No mark was left. It was a rule break that we gained no advantage from.

I don't lose any sleep over it, but when I put myself in his shoes after I lost some respect for him. I just can't see what satisfaction you'd get from winning a match because your opponent broke a fairly silly rule that he wasn't aware of in a way that he gained no advantage anyway.

I don't lose any sleep over it, but when I put myself in his shoes after I lost some respect for him. I just can't see what satisfaction you'd get from winning a match because your opponent broke a fairly silly rule that he wasn't aware of in a way that he gained no advantage anyway.

They do it because it's a rule and have every right to call you on it. But in Matchplay you have the right to overlook any infringement from your opponent so they had the option to let it slide and maybe say it to you. No way would I want to win a match under them circumstances it wouldn't sit right with me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Maybe he thought you were repairing a pitch mark.

No matter anyway. It's a fairly basic rule and I don't think it reflects anyway badly on the guy who pulled you. You didn't gain any advantage that's fine but where do you draw the line.
    Say you touched the ball before putting by accident.... no adnsntage gained.
    Would you expect someone to let it slide in such a tight highly contested match?

I wouldn't. You made the boo boo. Your problem.

ForeRight wrote: »

No matter anyway. It's a fairly basic rule and I don't think it reflects anyway badly on the guy who pulled you. You didn't gain any advantage that's fine but where do you draw the line.
    Would you expect someone to let it slide in such a tight highly contested match?

My very first Matchplaymatch that exact thing happened. I touched the ball while addressing a putt. Told my opponent what had occurred and he waved his hands and said "would you go away! Replace it and putt away we're not in the masters!". That's class. Unfortunately I thought that's how all opponents would be. Sadly it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

My very first Matchplaymatch that exact thing happened. I touched the ball while addressing a putt. Told my opponent what had occurred and he waved his hands and said "would you go away! Replace it and putt away we're not in the masters!". That's class. Unfortunately I thought that's how all opponents would be. Sadly it's not the case.

That's super and honestly it's how I would deal with that however I wouldn't expect to receive the same treatment back. If I did that's great fair play but if I'm pulled I don't think it reflects too badly on the other person pulling me.

It's my stupid mistake.

• Advertisement

That's super and honestly it's how I would deal with that however I wouldn't expect to receive the same treatment back. If I did that's great fair play but if I'm pulled I don't think it reflects too badly on the other person pulling me.

It's my stupid mistake.

Funnily enough there is a new local rule which means if I did the same today, it would be no penalty. I just feel amateurs pulling each other up on such small infractions is ridiculous and not at all in the spirit of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

It's my stupid mistake.

Well if you gave it but later in the same match didnt receive it then i would definitely think it reflects poorly on the opponent.

As I say, at the time I was a bit annoyed I didn't know the rule, but that was all. But on reflection, I'd hate to win a match like that. The quality of golf in the match compared to our handicaps was ridiculous, we all just played great that day. I think this might have been what annoyed him. We were all playing of between 11 and 16, but there were 8 birdies between us that day.

Unfortunately after that hole we parred the next to bring it back to all square, birdied the 18th for a half, birdied the first for a half and then I three putted from about 12 feet for a bogey on the second to lose the match. In my defence, it was a lightening first putt on the green, not an easy two putt at all.

They do it because it's a rule and have every right to call you on it. But in Matchplay you have the right to overlook any infringement from your opponent so they had the option to let it slide and maybe say it to you. No way would I want to win a match under them circumstances it wouldn't sit right with me either.

I'm with GolfGraffix & ForeRight on this one. Sure there was no advantage, but not the point. It was a basic rule everyone should know. Similarly if your opponent plays out of turn in Matchplay, is there an advantage? Probably not, but it is still a rule infrindgement and you have every right to call it... or not!

On the touching the ground... I think that rule might be changing? I stand open to correction though.

True. But you aren't alowed to discuss it as to do so and then agree to let it slide is in itself a rule break.

I'm pretty sure that is breaking the rules as above, you have agreed to ignore a rule infrindgement.

Funnily enough there is a new local rule which means if I did the same today, it would be no penalty. I just feel amateurs pulling each other up on such small infractions is ridiculous and not at all in the spirit of the game.

don't think it is a local rule, but rather a new rule in general. there have been so many i can't remember where i sw that, but I think it's in the new rules coming out that an accidental touch is no longer an infrindgement.

I'm remembering one where I had a gust of wind blow my ball away. It was shortly after the new rule came in and I knew there was a change but I didn't really know what the change was or whether I should play from new position or orginal. Old geezer I was against who AFAIR had worked for GUI at some level in the rules, called me on the old rule and I was not sure enough in my own belief to challenge him.

It really pays to know the rules, but it also pays to stand your ground if there is a dispute and query it later on.

don't think it is a local rule, but rather a new rule in general. there have been so many i can't remember where i sw that, but I think it's in the new rules coming out that an accidental touch is no longer an infrindgement.

It's a local rule until it becomes an official rule in 2019. Any commitee can choose to enforce it or not until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

In foursomes matchplay final a few years ago it had descended into the bitterness before we had even played the match. We tried to fix up the game a few times and were always told "nope, doesn't suit" and then they gave us one date which we could not make and when we said this they replied "BE ON TEE AT 2.30 OR WE CLAIM MATCH". We were going to just leave it because we weren't that bothered but then we said we might as well play and juggled things around so we were available.

They were both low guys (5 and 6) but the buildup seemed to have really got to them and we were 5 up after 5 (lol) and at this point they had stopped speaking to each other. We won the 2nd with a 6 as they chipped back and forth over the green! There was absolutely no chat during the match (we tried).

We were 4 up after 10 and they drove into thick rough on 11th where they spent well over 5 minutes looking for the ball. We walked on and when we look behind we see them preparing to hit from the exact point they had been looking in which seemed very unlikely.

We won on the 15th there was a brief handshake and they stalked off. One went into the bar and stayed as far from us as possible.

Whole thing was not very comfortable and put me off matchplay for a couple of years.

I'm remembering one where I had a gust of wind blow my ball away. It was shortly after the new rule came in and I knew there was a change but I didn't really know what the change was or whether I should play from new position or orginal. Old geezer I was against who AFAIR had worked for GUI at some level in the rules, called me on the old rule and I was not sure enough in my own belief to challenge him.

It really pays to know the rules, but it also pays to stand your ground if there is a dispute and query it later on.

In this situation. You play a second ball. One under your interpretation of the rules and one under his. Ball A and B. Record both scores and at the end of the round get the rule clarified and take appropriate score.

• Advertisement

True. But you aren't alowed to discuss it as to do so and then agree to let it slide is in itself a rule break.

I'm pretty sure that is breaking the rules as above, you have agreed to ignore a rule infrindgement.

Sorry I forgot to mention, my ball didn't actually move from its original spot. It wasn't a penalty but I didn't know this at the time but my opponent was having none of it either way.

Advertisement