Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Town commute

Options
  • 26-03-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there all! A friend of is considering buying a house in Wicklow town. He works a nine to five in Dublin airport , well 830 to 1645 to be exact. I was saying to him that he may have to start very early. Does anyone here have any idea of how hid commute would be ? Any help grateful appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I commute to Park West and find that (ignoring when the schools are off) having to be in for 9 is a pain - leaving at 7 and it's already getting busy around Glenofthedowns and could take me over an hour (up to 1.5 if I'm unlucky). Leaving between 7:30-8 and it'll be the 1.5 hours (more if unlucky). Leaving 8:30 or later and it's probably back to an hour or under (but can get unlucky if there's been a crash). Not sure how much longer up to the airport will take, probably not too bad from Park West as the bulk of the traffic seems to be going the other direction on the M50 at this point.

The way home at that time could be fun - there's often queues mentioned on Dublin City Radio M50 South before you get as far as Park West. From here on depends on Bray - I tend to leave around 17:30 and probably takes me around an hour, up to 1.5 on a bad day. If it all goes wrong I bail off and go via Enniskerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

BigMoose times are pretty accurate. In the mornings heading North I like to be on the road by 6:15am - otherwise I would leave it until 08:30. I work in Dundrum and live in Glenealy so if i'm not on the M50 by 4pm - 4:30 at the latest forget it. Traffic will crawl from the Cabinteely exit to Bray and can sometimes become gridlocked. Tends to ease up from 7pm. Much easier when the schools are out.

If the M50 traffic is bad i'd recommend getting off at Ballinteer and head for Wicklow via Kilternan/Enniskerry, rejoining the N11 at Kilmacangoue. Don't get off the N11 at Cabinteely as everyone else will have the same idea and there will be a mile long tailback on the glenamuck road to Kilternan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I guess I should have said that if I do it when there's no traffic it takes me 40-45 mins - so you can see the impact of traffic at different times. dogmatix, I admire you for getting out by 6:15am! I cant force myself out before 7am and just lump the traffic then :) Although I'm lucky to have flexible hours and the ability to work from home, so typically either start work at home then head in after 8:30, or just head in at 8:30 and work later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

that journeys not going to be fun for anyone.

Advertisement