Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology for Leaving Cert

Options
  • 26-03-2018 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, I was thinking of taking up technology for Leaving Cert soon (I am in TY now). I didn't take up technology in Junior Cert, so should I take it for LC?, any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can't see why not.
    Were you given a module of Technology in TY? In that case, I'd say the school is hoping some of you choose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

Gonna be honest my school never done tech still doesnt however if I am right in my assumption then i can offer advice.

If tech is about coding etc then you will be learning different coding languages such as HTML, Java, Python, C++ etc... And maybe other things i dont know about but maybe have a look into that sort of thing and see if you like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JacksonParker

spurious wrote: »
    I can't see why not.
    Were you given a module of Technology in TY? In that case, I'd say the school is hoping some of you choose it.

Well we weren't exactly given an modules for technology, but nevertheless a few of my teachers did say that "technology is a great subject choice as it relates to many fields". So yeah I guess than I will be going for it and if that doesn't work out I might do engineering or constructions studies, which I hope will be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JacksonParker

preacher2 wrote: »
    Gonna be honest my school never done tech still doesnt however if I am right in my assumption then i can offer advice.

If tech is about coding etc then you will be learning different coding languages such as HTML, Java, Python, C++ etc... And maybe other things i dont know about but maybe have a look into that sort of thing and see if you like it!

Alright, thanks. I sure will look into those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

LC Technology isn't actually to do with coding, although they'd be good skills to have regardless. It's more technology in society, circuit boards, materials, ICT (basics of ICT - no coding... Difference between hardware and software, router and modem. That type of thing. Here is the syllabus if you want to have a look. I did the leaving certificate twice and got an A1 both years so if you have an interest in it and put effort into your project it's a good subject to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

daraghwal wrote: »
    LC Technology isn't actually to do with coding, although they'd be good skills to have regardless. It's more technology in society, circuit boards, materials, ICT (basics of ICT - no coding... Difference between hardware and software, router and modem. That type of thing. Here is the syllabus if you want to have a look. I did the leaving certificate twice and got an A1 both years so if you have an interest in it and put effort into your project it's a good subject to do.

Oh ye if its that ECDL stuff i actually doin it right now, its boring as **** its like using microsoft word and stuff... Its nothing major lad if its a subject choice for you dont do it, just make sure its ECDL im talking about here not tech...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well we weren't exactly given an modules for technology, but nevertheless a few of my teachers did say that "technology is a great subject choice as it relates to many fields". So yeah I guess than I will be going for it and if that doesn't work out I might do engineering or constructions studies, which I hope will be okay?

All teachers will tell you their subject is great, but it is up to you to decide if you are interested in that subject. Have a look at the syllabus and see if it interests you. It takes in a bit of ICT, little bit of physics, bit of engineering, electronics etc.

Even having a look at the past exam papers would give you a feel for what it entails.

Advertisement