Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a masters worth it in Irelands tech industry today?

Options
  • 26-03-2018 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

From my understanding a job can be landed in any of the big tech companies with a CS degree and a healthy amount of side projects. What I am wondering, however, is there much of a salary difference.

Am I right to say that for a web developer experience > Msc and therefore simply working more will lead to higher salary incease, the same, if not exceeding that which I would get after doing a masters.

In the long run does a masters result in a higher salary ceiling ceteris paribus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

RoRo979 wrote: »
    From my understanding a job can be landed in any of the big tech companies with a CS degree and a healthy amount of side projects. What I am wondering, however, is there much of a salary difference.

Masters in Management with a Bachelors in CS is definitely a career advancing combo.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

14ned wrote: »
    Masters in Management with a Bachelors in CS is definitely a career advancing combo.

Niall

Best path so to work a few years and get some industry experience and then come back and do Masters? Or just get it out of the way early?

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Best path so to work a few years and get some industry experience and then come back and do Masters? Or just get it out of the way early?

Most efficient path is to get your employer to pay for it :) So yeah, work a few years, get them to pay for it, then almost certainly move jobs to something far better paid as soon as the mandatory retainment period expires.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

14ned wrote: »
    Most efficient path is to get your employer to pay for it :) So yeah, work a few years, get them to pay for it, then almost certainly move jobs to something far better paid as soon as the mandatory retainment period expires.

Niall
    As someone who just finished a part time masters while working full time - it is extremely demanding! There are definite merits to doing it straight after your degree.

jpm4 wrote: »
    As someone who just finished a part time masters while working full time - it is extremely demanding! There are definite merits to doing it straight after your degree.

Thing is, the timing of doing it later is better. I did my Masters straight after my second undergrad, and that makes it stale by the time you're a few years in. The problem with Management in particular is that there are fashionable zeitgeists, and ten years after it's noticeable that what they're teaching now is not quite what I was taught. Different management gurus are in vogue now. Many of those I learned are indeed now dead :) And that might punish you in an interview with managers.

Equally, it might also benefit you. Those interviewing you are probably not fresh Management graduates, and like me might get slightly annoyed to hear about the theories of Management gurus they're not familiar with :)

Finally, don't underrate the symbolic value of completing a Masters whilst in full time employment. Almost anybody can get a Masters doing it in classes full time. Those who get a good grade whilst with kids and a full time job are much more valuable. They're go-getters. I'd definitely expect a 15-20% pay premium for such folk with proven focus and time management skills. You've marked yourself as a potential high flyer.

Niall

• Advertisement
Advertisement