Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish DF or French Foreign Legion

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Bmw123d wrote: »
    I'm not irish?

Back to your cave. Learn English.

This explains a lot.
    Ur a keyboard worrier u wouldn’t have what it takes to join the reserve defence forces. U would need a serious attitude adjustment to be accepted in any military force

That's funny, didnt have to do any of that and I'm serving...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Very easy say that behind a screen.
    But u still refer to the Irish defence forces as the IDF.
    I’d say all ur serving now is call of duty.

Very easy say that behind a screen.
    But u still refer to the Irish defence forces as the IDF.
    I’d say all ur serving now is call of duty.

Did i say Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Well OP. Did you join the legion? I had romanticized them as a teenager as well. Read a few books about them from Irish lads that served. Legionnaire by Simon Murray is defo worth a read regardless of if you actually end up joining or not.

Looking back now at 31 I regret not joining the Irish army/navy. Just bounced from dead end job to the next. I would say serve your own country if you are set on joining a military.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

99.9% of a soldiers life is sitting on his ass, if your expecting action 100% of the time you are in for rude awakening.

• Advertisement

99.9% of a soldiers life is sitting on his ass, if your expecting action 100% of the time you are in for rude awakening.
    Wrong.

15% is doing sh*t jobs.

15% is avoiding said sh*t jobs

30% is PT

20% is waiting

15% training

4% sitting on arse

0.95% operational

0.05% action

Okay

Wrong.

15% is doing sh*t jobs.

30% is PT

20% is waiting

15% training

4% sitting on arse

0.95% operational

0.05% action
    Those percentages don’t really add up guess it’s the unit ur stationed with.

Wrong.

15% is doing sh*t jobs.

30% is PT

20% is waiting

15% training

4% sitting on arse

0.95% operational

0.05% action
    Those percentages don’t really add up guess it’s the unit ur stationed with.

Yes they do you weapon... not learnt to count yet?

How much of a % is spent taking a **** or having a w**k :p

• Advertisement

How much of a % is spent taking a **** or having a w**k :p

What do you think you are doing in the 15% avoiding sh*t jobs?

Less of the absurd I’ve behaviour. I know the percentages add up as numbers that isn’t what’s ment in actual fact what was ment was the figures don’t add it and it’s all down to your unit. My own unit is a operational unit there for slot of or work is operational.

Less of the absurd I’ve behaviour. I know the percentages add up as numbers that isn’t what’s ment in actual fact what was ment was the figures don’t add it and it’s all down to your unit. My own unit is a operational unit there for slot of or work is operational.

Mate i doubt they'd let you operate a tooth brush could you please spell properly

MODS
    Could you please review this posters post etc.
    I’m finding him quite abusive and agressive with stuff he clearly isn’t well up on. And would u mind closing the tread the language etc is getting abit over the top and it’s descussting quite frankly.

The poster clearly has nothing good to say in regard to the Irish defence forces
    Thanks

Mate i doubt they'd let you operate a tooth brush could you please spell properly

Right that’s it I’ve enough of your crap.

MODS
    Could you please review this posters post etc.
    I’m finding him quite abusive and agressive with stuff he clearly isn’t well up on. And would u mind closing the tread the language etc is getting abit over the top and it’s descussting quite frankly.

The poster clearly has nothing good to say in regard to the Irish defence forces
    Thanks

Disgusting*

Call yourself a soldier and you can't take a raking on the internet 😂😂😂

Bet you get filled in on a daily basis

I have plenty of good to say about the Irish Defence Forces just called your bull crap.

This thread wouldn't be a great advertisement to anyone actually thinking of joining the army to be honest.

Best friend and a few other friends are in the defence forces. Seems like a grand job depending on what the contracts where like when you signed up. They spend a lot of time not doing much, and then a chunk of time in mountains in the wet and cold for training exercises. Lots of time traveling up and down to their barracks as well.
    One thing I've seen across the board is that people go in thinking it's one thing and finding out it's very different from what they've imagined it to be.
    Friends just back from 6 months in Lebanon away from his fiancée and 3 year old son, not much action, few tense moments. Hardest part for him was just being away from everyone.

If I was young enough and had no attachments id give it a go, not for getting to shoot at people though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

This thread wouldn't be a great advertisement to anyone actually thinking of joining the army to be honest.

Best friend and a few other friends are in the defence forces. Seems like a grand job depending on what the contracts where like when you signed up. They spend a lot of time not doing much, and then a chunk of time in mountains in the wet and cold for training exercises. Lots of time traveling up and down to their barracks as well.
    One thing I've seen across the board is that people go in thinking it's one thing and finding out it's very different from what they've imagined it to be.
    Friends just back from 6 months in Lebanon away from his fiancée and 3 year old son, not much action, few tense moments. Hardest part for him was just being away from everyone.

If I was young enough and had no attachments id give it a go, not for getting to shoot at people though.

Thanks for the insight mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

Il start by saying u don’t seem to have a clue what ur on about. Il have u know the Irish army is one of the most respected army’s in the world. Then u go on about the range wing once again u haven’t a clue. No one but the actual arw no exactly how much stuff they do actually get up to.
    You the say British sf but f that.
    Why would it be to hard for you. I’d actually imagine being in a legion sf force would be harder again.
    Back to the arw. How many sf compilations around the world have they won? Il tell u first hand it’s a lot more then ud think. I’d actually nearly be right in saying ur getting all this gun ho crap from tv if u actually went and done some soldiering people would have a lot more respect for you.
    U say the Irish army does nothing. Well u clearly haven’t seen the videos of East Timor Liberia chad etc go check them out and come back to us. I’ve personally withnessed crazy stuff in Africa and East Timor.
    Anyways do ur self a favour if ur going to try join a army at least have loyalty to ur own country. But ur going to need a massive attitude adjustment. Then if u do actually manage to get into the df do some years do overseas get some experience then maybe try the arw selection course that will definitely sort u out and see if u have what it take............
    I won’t go on any more just get it all into perspective

So firstly I would like to apologise to how I wrote the original post. I did not read over it and now that I have, I see how much of a twat I was.

However, in response to you, do not tell me what I do and do not know. You cant even spell.

Firstly, I know near all that is needed to know on military from a civilian point of view. I have been looking into this since the age of 12 (7 years).

There is no "Legion special forces". You street twat, you cant even hold a sentence.

Any more response time to you would be a joke, and a massive waste of time.

Enjoy minimum wage and council housing ðŸ˜

preacher2 wrote: »
    So firstly I would like to apologise to how I wrote the original post. I did not read over it and now that I have, I see how much of a twat I was.

However, in response to you, do not tell me what I do and do not know. You cant even spell.

Firstly, I know near all that is needed to know on military from a civilian point of view. I have been looking into this since the age of 12 (7 years).

There is no "Legion special forces". You street twat, you cant even hold a sentence.

I know nothing about the legion but il admit that not claim I know it all. My spelling what has that got to do with anything doesn’t make me hold weapons any different.
    As for minimum wage I’ve 18 years done in the Irish army I’ve being to
    East Timor
    Libera
    Chad
    Lebanon x2
    Kosovo
    And finally Mali
    So when u have lived the life I have and seen the things I have then come back to me.

As for the council house sorry mate I’ve about 2.5 years left on my 21 year contract and I’m leaving the army. Have my own house a lot longer then u will ever have I can assure u that.
    So I can tell you one thing I know what I’m talking about.
    But look you can dream all you want.

Mods please take note of the abuse I’m taking of certain posters hear could you please review.
    Thank you

• Advertisement

preacher2 wrote: »

I know nothing about the legion but il admit that not claim I know it all. My spelling what has that got to do with anything doesn’t make me hold weapons any different.
    As for minimum wage I’ve 18 years done in the Irish army I’ve being to
    East Timor
    Libera
    Chad
    Lebanon x2
    Kosovo
    And finally Mali
    So when u have lived the life I have and seen the things I have then come back to me.

As for the council house sorry mate I’ve about 2.5 years left on my 21 year contract and I’m leaving the army. Have my own house a lot longer then u will ever have I can assure u that.
    So I can tell you one thing I know what I’m talking about.
    But look you can dream all you want.

Mods please take note of the abuse I’m taking of certain posters hear could you please review.
    Thank you

Guessing you never promoted aye?

And as your looking into it since ur 12 (7 years)

I’ve actually spent more time then that serving overseas. So have some respect u little runt. It’s people like you that make the defence forces a bad name.
    Anyway I’ve nothing to worry about there’s no way in hell you would become a fully trained soldier let alone a special forces team member.
    Firstly you wouldn’t have the intelligence to pass the relevant interview and tests.
    And if u did on the slight chance happen to get passed that you would be found out so quickly when u where being trained you would be sent back from what rock u crawled out from under.

Once again u haven’t a clue. Look up the joining instructions for Mali there all senior nco appointments

Once again u haven’t a clue. Look up the joining instructions for Mali there all senior nco appointments

The Irish Forces publish the JIs for operational deployments on the internet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement