Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accusations made at work

Options
  • 27-03-2018 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Trying to keep this short and sweet. Working in retail since 2007, worked up the ladder to the assistant manager of a shop. Kind of bored of it now, in the middle of a career change and leaving the gig at the end of May.

So in the last number of months I've been accused three times of messing around with money, twice by the store manager and once by a supervisor. I know that it's the supervisor messing the money up and have reported him for it to the boss already, along with calling him up for bullying the staff. But nothing gets done about it. He's seemingly untouchable.

Anyway, should I let the accusations against me slide because I'm leaving anyway, or should I take this further?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

jerrehpips wrote: »
    Trying to keep this short and sweet. Working in retail since 2007, worked up the ladder to the assistant manager of a shop. Kind of bored of it now, in the middle of a career change and leaving the gig at the end of May.

So in the last number of months I've been accused three times of messing around with money, twice by the store manager and once by a supervisor. I know that it's the supervisor messing the money up and have reported him for it to the boss already, along with calling him up for bullying the staff. But nothing gets done about it. He's seemingly untouchable.

Anyway, should I let the accusations against me slide because I'm leaving anyway, or should I take this further?

I would definitely take it further if I were you. The fact you are leaving even more so. Sorry to hear you are having to deal with stuff like this at work, I know it’s not easy to

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

jk23 wrote: »
    I would definitely take it further if I were you. The fact you are leaving even more so. Sorry to hear you are having to deal with stuff like this at work, I know it’s not easy to

I was thinking of doing so but felt the fact I was leaving was going to stand against me. I'm sure I'd have a leg to stand on

I only took the management job to give retail one more shot anyway. I'm going into truck driving by the summer. Have my driving test in a month's time and absolutely loving the lessons. Had never even driven a truck until two months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

jerrehpips wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing so but felt the fact I was leaving was going to stand against me. I'm sure I'd have a leg to stand on

I only took the management job to give retail one more shot anyway. I'm going into truck driving by the summer. Have my driving test in a month's time and absolutely loving the lessons. Had never even driven a truck until two months ago!

Definitely go for it as you can’t really place a value at doing something you like to do and get paid for it as your job. I would however report your concerns to HR before you leave.. best of luck with it and the new career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

jerrehpips wrote:

Good luck with the truck driving it's not all it's cracked up to be. Long hours poor wages, as for retail don't burn your bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

You are strong to have stuck out retail for over 10 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

Your good name is very, very important.

Don't let the accusations hang there in the air. Challenge them. You know that you are right so stand up for yourself. You don't have to go down in flames, calm and assertive is the way forward.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Good luck with the truck driving it's not all it's cracked up to be. Long hours poor wages, as for retail don't burn your bridges.

It couldn't be any worse than i have it now, 10-12 hours a day for 5 or 6 days a week, for not even €400 take home.

Your good name is very, very important.

Don't let the accusations hang there in the air. Challenge them. You know that you are right so stand up for yourself. You don't have to go down in flames, calm and assertive is the way forward.

The worst part is the boss himself has the height of faith in me and he knows I wouldn't mess about. It's the store manager and the supervisor, who are in their late 40s and spent their lives in retail throwing the accusations around. My next step is to nab the boss. Nice and calmly all the same.

You are strong to have stuck out retail for over 10 years...

You need the patience of a saint for this gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

In the early 2010s I had an accusation about money going missing from my store when I was the only cash handler on the shift. I had the full investigation - off site meeting with area manager and head of security, formal disciplinary meeting with threats of guards and being presented with security footage that they thought was suspicious because I went to the jacks directly after locking the safe (they were zooming in on my hands as I walked to try and tell me I had palmed something. It was horrible). In the end we agreed to compromise on a written warning that I had been careless while handling cash (I couldn't really argue as I was ultimately responsible for the cash that day) and it was left at that.

At the time I was relieved as I was finishing up a masters and I'd been with the company all the way through college, so they were really acommodating with shifts and timetable in the way another employer wouldn't be but now, 5 years on and working in my qualified field, I'm kicking myself for not defending myself further. I know that somewhere in their HR department there's a note on my file saying I'm a thief. It won't have any bearing on my future as the company only really provides confirmation of employment dates by way of reference, but it still bothers me that they presumably still reckon I did it.

If you've a new job lined up and nothing to lose I would absolutely be falling over yourself to protest your innocence. Letting it wash over you very much makes it seem like you're keeping the head down in the hopes they don't press charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 southernsmile

Talk to the boss.  If you let the accusations stand and leave the job without addressing them, it may look like you left because they were true.  What they are doing is illegal and the boss needs to know about it.  Good luck in your new career! It sounds exciting.

Advertisement