Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domain name. what to use? .ie .com etc

• 27-03-2018 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I'm choosing a domain name at the moment. we will be tradining in ireland & the uk serving customers in France Spain UK and Italy. the domain name i want is available in .ie, .es, .fr but not .co.uk or .it. how important is it to have exactly the same domain name in each territory?

what s the story with .UK.com is it just a different version of .co.uk? does it mean anything for SEO?

Should I keep going till I find a domain name that fits perfectly for each country.

Thanks in advance.
    Whitesheep

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 eliterank

Go for a .com and use a hreflang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 whitesheep

thanks

.com not available either. What is hreflang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

uk.com isn't a "proper" domain extension so it's not going to be as well recognised by Google etc.,

If you can't get the domain name in the country code you're targeting does this mean that a competitor has it already?

If so you'd probably be better off using a different name entirely.

re: hreflang: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2 betakrea

In simple words, Hreflang is a way to tell Google that a page is targeted for a language/country.

When choosing a domain name consider the long run.

What's the difference?
    Local domains (aka ccTLD, Country Code Top-Level Domain) such as ie, co.uk, de, it tend to better rank for the relevant country. This is not an absolute truth but it's true most of the times.

Many factors are related to that, the brand awareness, the backlink profile, the content etc.
    A ie domain is great for an Irish audience: technically speaking as well as the searcher perspective. As a person who lives in Ireland, I prefer a ie domain, it gives me more trust.

You have, more or less, 2 possibilities:
    1- Register multiple domains (ie, co.uk, de, ...).
    A localised domain helps with the users' trust but you need much more technical resources, each website needs its own authority.

2- Register a dot com domain. One single website to work on, one domain to create authority on, subfolder/subdomain for each market.

If I'd start a project today, I'd definitely go for a dot com domain. The main reason is that I can work on a single domain name and increase it's authority with multiple activities, with a ccTLD I'd need to do the same (ish) work on each domain.

There're exceptions. The main one is how the local markets work. Besides a proper market analysis, which you need to perform to start the whole project, I'd suggest you 2 SEO related tasks:

1. Check the results in Google. Look what kind of websites come up in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Page). Use a number of queries related to your market and see which sites/pages you get.
    Are all the sites dot de in Germany, dot fr in France, dot it in Italy? You should consider using ccTLD.
    Are the results a mix of local domains and generic Top Level Domains (gTLD such as dot com, net, org, edu, etc)? You can go with a .com domain.
    Look for isearchfrom to for localised searches

2. Go for a localised - not translation - help. Find if locals are willing to convert (read your articles, buy, provide you with their email, etc) with local domains or generic ones. What's their perception on this?

I wrote enough, feel free to ask. (Even my answer is a little bit late...)

Cheers :)

Advertisement