Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care of orchid on windowsill - snip to encourage growth, or leave alone?

Options
  • 27-03-2018 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

complete novice here, who bought an orchid in Tesco last year, plonked it on the windowsill, where it seemed to grow away happily. Last year there were three beautiful individual flowers/blossoms. It eventually withered, and when a new stem began to snake up out of the base plant, I snipped the old stem off near the root.

It is now coming into bloom again this year, on the new stem, and this is where I have questions. There are two buds that have already fully blossomed, and another 7 buds that are in various stages of developing, with some ready to bloom/open, and some at the top that are clearly buds but not much bigger than the stem yet.

My question is whether I should snip off some of the buds, to encourage better growth in others, or just leave the plant alone and let it grow however it will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No! Leave it be, it will happily flower for months!

Advertisement