Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbering Lambs With Spray

• 27-03-2018 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

how do you lads go about doing this,
    its tricky to do it, when your spraying the number on, the lamb moves and you have a mess made.
    also is there spray cans with a finer nozzle. i always find the spray width of the cans to be a bit wide for small lambbs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Surfn wrote: »
    its tricky to do it, when your spraying the number on, the lamb moves and you have a mess made.
    also is there spray cans with a finer nozzle. i always find the spray width of the cans to be a bit wide for small lambbs

some people use letters of the alphabet, at least you get to number 26 ewes before you need a second figure/colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Numbers for couples, letters for teiplets. I find if you take the nozzle off an empty can and put it on a new one it’s a bit finer, new ones are very broad. That or else get a needle and put it in the nozzle. If spraying and putting on rings at the same time so the rings first so the spray won’t smudge, it needs a while to dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Hold them by their chest in your left hand and slray with right. Keep can in close so its fine. Put number closer to top of lamb,its easier to make out when its bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Hold them by their chest in your left hand and slray with right. Keep can in close so its fine. Put number closer to top of lamb,its easier to make out when its bigger

Do the same here.. Or else himself holds it and I spray it or vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Blank management tag in the ewe and her lambs then corresponding number to each ewe and her lambs on with a permenant marker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Bought the 0-9 marking paint brand off agridirect there steel 100mm x 50mm €17.50.... they have a very flat face and I don't know am I supposed till spray paint on it and press it on the lamb or dip it in paint... has anyone used these or know how till?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

And skip a few numbers to confuse the neighbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Hard to keep the spray on for longer than a few weeks anyway.

Started using management tags this year. Blue management tags here for boys and pink for girls. Ewe number and then A,B,C with a permananet marker. Singles don't have a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Spray good and close to the lambs it leaves it neat, mark twins 1 to 100 then change colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

arctictree wrote: »
    Hard to keep the spray on for longer than a few weeks anyway.

Started using management tags this year. Blue management tags here for boys and pink for girls. Ewe number and then A,B,C with a permananet marker. Singles don't have a letter.

But if there is a lamb lost in field or falling back world it not be hard to find its mother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Red for twins , blue for singles, put numbers on the ewes a week before lambing according to scanning, very easy to keep track of a ewe in the run up to lambing that you may have concerns about either in the shed or field with the numbers on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Jimbo789

What do people find the best way to use management tags when lambing outdoors?

I haven't used them this year but was planning to next year when will be keeping ewe lambs as replacements. Ewes are divided into separate fields depending on if they scanned with singles or twins/triplets and are moved to different fields on either the day that they are lambed or the next day. All ewes would have management tags. I was thinking of tagging the lambs at day old when being moved with number corresponding to the ewe's number but using 3 different colours. Colour 1) for all ram lambs, colour 2) for all single ewe lambs and colour 3) for ewe lambs that are twins or triplets.

The plan would be to sell all ram lambs as stores, sell all single ewe lambs as breeding ewe lambs and keep all twin/triplet ewe lambs as replacements.

Lambs would be done with rings and numbered in batches when they are between 2 and 5 days old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Jimbo789 wrote: »

I haven't used them this year but was planning to next year when will be keeping ewe lambs as replacements. Ewes are divided into separate fields depending on if they scanned with singles or twins/triplets and are moved to different fields on either the day that they are lambed or the next day. All ewes would have management tags. I was thinking of tagging the lambs at day old when being moved with number corresponding to the ewe's number but using 3 different colours. Colour 1) for all ram lambs, colour 2) for all single ewe lambs and colour 3) for ewe lambs that are twins or triplets.

The plan would be to sell all ram lambs as stores, sell all single ewe lambs as breeding ewe lambs and keep all twin/triplet ewe lambs as replacements.

Lambs would be done with rings and numbered in batches when they are between 2 and 5 days old.

We Use Management tags, right ear for males & single females, left for multiple females.
    Only females get rings for tails & only left ears can be replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

But if there is a lamb lost in field or falling back world it not be hard to find its mother?

We also use the spray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I have a good system here, i think!

Twins numbered with red,
    Forested twins with purple so they get an extra eye when herding
    Singles get a red letter so there is no confusion.

With regard to spraying, I have stencils i made out of plastic board off election posters that does the ewes and I find hold the lamb in one hand under the ribs and spray with other hand, if you try to restrain him he will fight and that the number screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Jimbo789 wrote: »

Any ewes lambing out here get a tag and a number,whenever she lambs the lamb(s) get a tag corresponding to the ewe.

Advertisement