Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat Registration Threshold

Options
  • 27-03-2018 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

When calculating the threshold for Vat registration do we include the cost of postage that the customer pays? We sell online and the customer pays the shipping cost on top of the product cost.

I see the threshold for online business's is €35000 so if your postage costs are 5k can you subtract the 5k ? I'm thinking no but wanted to check this out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

It’s based on your turnover, so no you can deduct the €5k.
    As far as I can remember the threshold is €37500 for services and €75000 for products but I could stand to be corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you are a retailer the threshold is €75,000 and that's the ex vat turnover.

Assuming there is some vat element in your retail figures (unless you sell books, children's clothing/footwear or church candles, all of which are zero rated) then the actual threshold is higher when you look at your gross income.

example - item costs you €60 + vat and you sell for €100, the vat you paid is worked into your price, so your net turnover on that item is 86.20 as 23% of €60 is 13.80.

If all your products were at same margin, your threshold would be 87,000 gross turnover.

Advertisement