Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick concrete mix for security ground anchor installation?

• 27-03-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'd like to install a ground anchor in my garden for motorcycle security.
    I'm seeing different kinds of quick/rapid concrete mixes in Woodies/etc..., but I'm unsure which ones are the strongest / suitable for my purpose.
    For example, some mixes are made specifically for fixing posts which may or may not require the same strength as an anti-theft application.

Can you please mention a few mixes that are suitable for my needs? (that I can get in Woodies / B&Q / etc...)

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

xboxdad wrote: »
    Hello,

I'd like to install a ground anchor in my garden for motorcycle security.
    I'm seeing different kinds of quick/rapid concrete mixes in Woodies/etc..., but I'm unsure which ones are the strongest / suitable for my purpose.
    For example, some mixes are made specifically for fixing posts which may or may not require the same strength as an anti-theft application.

Can you please mention a few mixes that are suitable for my needs? (that I can get in Woodies / B&Q / etc...)

Thank you.

What type of anchor do you have?

Some require drilling a hole into an appropriate slab, others you can just embed.

Any of the quick setting concretes will do, you'll need enough that it will be too heavy to move. Some rebar might also be an idea to spread out the anchoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

colm_c wrote: »
    What type of anchor do you have?

Some require drilling a hole into an appropriate slab, others you can just embed.

Any of the quick setting concretes will do, you'll need enough that it will be too heavy to move. Some rebar might also be an idea to spread out the anchoring.

Thank you. I'd like to get something like this:
    http://www.yanchor.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭J.R.

Thank you. I'd like to get something like this:
    http://www.yanchor.com/

Clever item - very neat fitting.

Ensure that the concrete you are fixing it into is not crumbly and of sufficient depth.
    Most driveways will be at least 200mm (4") deep...which is perfect.

If the concrete driveway is suitable then any of those concrete post fitting products would be suitable. Let it go off for about 24 hours before use.

Don't do it on a frosty night.

J.R. wrote: »
    Clever item - very neat fitting.

Ensure that the concrete you are fixing it into is not crumbly and of sufficient depth.
    Most driveways will be at least 200mm (4") deep...which is perfect.

If the concrete driveway is suitable then any of those concrete post fitting products would be suitable. Let it go off for about 24 hours before use.

Don't do it on a frosty night.

Thank you.

There's going to be grass/dirt where I'll want to install this.
    I'll make sure to dig a big enough hole so that the resulting concrete block is truly heavy. I just hope the anchor won't sink into the bottom of the hole while the mix is still wet. Or maybe I'll have to hold it for a while so that it doesn't..?!.. I haven't checked their instructions yet though. I presume there are some good advises there to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Looks like a great job.

Love the name!

Y-anker pronounced w@#ker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Sounds like youve no existing slab to drop this into so youll need a fair bit in fairness. Woodies etc will clean you out for what you want.
    If i was doing it id dig out and shutter at least 400*400 square...... id go down 400mm aswell but 200 plus would suffice at minimum considering there isnt an ecisting slab.
    Buy some premixed gravel and sand from a builders yard, mix it ~4:1 with cement into a stiff mixture and pour it around your yanker yoke!... tamp the mixture to get the air out. Some rebar as nentioned above is a good idea.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

There was a man selling these anchors on adverts I Thunk they were around €35 ish. But if you do it your self I would make the slab just a bit longer than your bike so you can park on it. As said 400mm deep around the anchor and 200mm for the rest. The last thing you want is parking in the same muddy spot

Thanks guys, I'll try to incorporate as many of your suggestions into my "design" as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

B&Q Sell Gravel and Sand mix for €2.50, these don't go off so can be stored. Just buy some of these and a bag of cement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭J.R.

I just hope the anchor won't sink into the bottom of the hole while the mix is still wet. Or maybe I'll have to hold it for a while so that it doesn't

Some good suggestions given there.

To stop the yanker sinking into the concrete while wet you could get a length of 2" x 1" rough timber. Cut a short piece of metal and bend it so that will fit into the yanker, where the chain goes. Put the longer piece of timber on top of yanker and secure the timber and inserted metal together with cable ties. Now the longer piece is secured to the top and protrudes out over each side.

When you insert in concrete this longer timber piece with keep the yanker at exactly the right level until dry. When dry remove the cable ties ....it should be perfectly level with concrete.

• Advertisement

J.R. wrote: »
    Some good suggestions given there.

To stop the yanker sinking into the concrete while wet you could get a length of 2" x 1" rough timber. Cut a short piece of metal and bend it so that will fit into the yanker, where the chain goes. Put the longer piece of timber on top of yanker and secure the timber and inserted metal together with cable ties. Now the longer piece is secured to the top and protrudes out over each side.

When you insert in concrete this longer timber piece with keep the yanker at exactly the right level until dry. When dry remove the cable ties ....it should be perfectly level with concrete.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've never tried to make concrete before, so extra details are very helpful.

Advertisement