Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often is your preschooler sick?

• 27-03-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My chap is missing plasychool YET again this week with another viral infection and high temp. It's so frustrating. He's almost finished his first full year in creche so was hoping the immunity would be improving by now but how long does this go on? This winter has been desperate. Is it a particularly bad one for illnesses?

I put him on probiotics about 6 months ago after a bout of 3 bugs in the space of about 6 weeks. But he still gets everything. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anecdotally this winter has been crazy. Both our kids (5 & 1) have been sick a number of times, and we've lost count of the variety of illnesses that the school have alerted us to. Whereas in previous years there might have been a sniffle at some point over the period. Other parents have said the same. Maybe it was a particularly cold winter which meant more time indoors, or a particularly humid one or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

First year is the worst, my almost 2 year old is sick quite a lot, still her first year. My 4 year has yet to get sick since the winter started, it's his 3rd year in the creche. His first year was crazy, second year not too bad and the third year nothing so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's been a very bad winter.My pair got off relatively lightly I think but at that they have had a couple of really bad doses.The elder is three in playschool, she was off last week with an ear infection and she's only a couple of weeks over a really very bad chesty cough and mild ear infection too.Most kids I know have had a succession of sicknesses and doctor's visits, it's been endless and very bad. Scarlet fever, hand, foot and mouth , awful cough and cold doses(really bad, worst I've seen them with),vomiting.....it has all been doing the rounds this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Rarely. One antibiotic this year and one last year, both for ear infections. Put it down to good luck and breastfeeding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Our LO (16 months) has a bug right now. Poor little scamp was miserable last night - puked on me too. This would be the 3rd time since October. She passed it on to both of us the last time too, house was a quarantine zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

lazygal wrote: »
    Rarely. One antibiotic this year and one last year, both for ear infections. Put it down to good luck and breastfeeding!

Lucky you. I breastfed for 6 months. He's had 4 antibiotics in 3 years. 2 since starting playschool.

theteal wrote: »
    Our LO (16 months) has a bug right now. Poor little scamp was miserable last night - puked on me too. This would be the 3rd time since October. She passed it on to both of us the last time too, house was a quarantine zone.

My chap has had 3 vomiting bugs since this time last year (starting creche). Twice in the space of the first 2 months.

Ugh. hope it gets better each year he clocks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Rarely sick this year now he's in preschool. Last year he caught every bug going and wasn't even at preschool

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Probiotics!! Specifically Udo's Choice. They're a godsend imho for keeping bugs at bay.

xzanti wrote: »
    Probiotics!! Specifically Udo's Choice. They're a godsend imho for keeping bugs at bay.

He's on them 6 months. kinda disappointed he still gets sick often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

lazygal wrote: »
    Put it down to good luck and breastfeeding!

Nothing to do with breastfeeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

In 3 years he has been out sick 3 times
    once for hand foot and mouth which he didnt pick up at creche
    once for scarlet fever which again wasnt picked up in creche
    one for chickenpox which was down to a creche out break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's a vaccine for chicken pox. Two shots. Well worth getting if anyone is thinking of avoiding it altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

My 6yo was sick a lot in crèche/Montessori but school has been much better. Nightmare at the time but it definitely strengthened his immune system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My two had a whopper vomiting bug in October and nothing since.

Now I’ve written it on the internet I await the onslaught of bugs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Icsics wrote: »
    Nightmare at the time but it definitely strengthened his immune system

This in a nutshell, too many kids kept in too sterile environments and then suffer the consequences later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

My 2 year old (who I breastfed for 16 months !) has already missed around 2 weeks of creche since Jan with various viruses. My 3 year old has been fine and that always seems to be the way. I think it comes down to the child and luck

Hard keeping it all going as a working parent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

It seems every other week my son is picking up a cough and/or cold and giving it to his baby sister.

Hopefully she won't be as sick when she starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭appledrop

My little boy is 2 + in general is very healthy. He did pick up hand foot + mouth this year + conjunctivitis last year so out of creche for those as our creche has strict policy to try + prevent spread. But apart from that we are very lucky + he doesnt get sick.Yes they do pick up things from creche but I really think that it just builds up their immune system. By the way he was bottle feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Unfortunately preschool/creche/schools are just breeding grounds for everything!!
    My boy caught everything that came into his creche & preschool and now thankfully in school, it's only the odd cold!
    It is a vicious circle as somebody said above, If people would keeo their sick kids at home rather than sending them to preschool then it'd make life a whole lot easier!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

My 3.5 year old has been sick so often this winter, I'm at my wit's end. Every second or third week there's something. I feel your pain OP.

Advertisement