Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey 3 Day 2018

Options
  • 27-03-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

I don't see any discussion on this which is hard to believe!
    Just wondering if one should have received confirmation of their entry at this point? I sent the form + fee in January.
    Cheers
    Slo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Well there is only just about 100 riders entered so think you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Is there a start-list published?

Not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

are numbers really that low?

are numbers really that low?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

I’ll wait for another while so. Hopefully there’ll be some confirmation soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I emailed a while back to check if my entry and my club mates were received and was told they were. So we're just going to turn up and assume all is good.

I've no problem with a field of 100, better that than 180

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Hm, thats pretty low for Gorey. Any ideas why the lower numbers than previous years?

Id love to be doing it. Envious of you guys, enjoy the weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hm, thats pretty low for Gorey. Any ideas why the lower numbers than previous years?

Have people bring off the road because if the extended winter ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Start list is out now.

• Advertisement

Chumpski wrote:

Chumpski wrote:

Think maybe Ras Mhaigh Eo last weekend, add to that Ras Mumhan and Tour of the North this weekend as well. Know of a fair few Juniors and A3s going to both of those that traditionally would have doing Gorey. There was a discussion around it on. Facebook group I'm a member of and no real consensus why so low this year.

Think maybe we have reached the height of participants for road racing and will see a downward trend for open racing now. In my club quite a few have opted for the vets league this year over open racing as it is seen to be a safer option for those that now have responsibilities and families to look out for. Also the cost both in time and financial for stage raving is considerable. Finally also think for the likes of Gorey you really need to have a club or team behind you for logistics. You don't see too many single riders entering now.

Finally also think for the likes of Gorey you really need to have a club or team behind you for logistics. You don't see too many single riders entering now.

Tell me about it ! Us 3 in Dolmen don't have any support and have to do a car drop on Friday, depend on neutral service (so guys don't pass us by if we are punctured please !!) during the race and then do the reverse car collect on Monday. Bigger race clubs can organize support easily but this is a big factor in none of us in Dolmen having raced Gorey before.

104 BTW is still a good sized field and typical of Ras Mhaigh Eo and Charleville sizes, remembering doing Tour of Connemara in Castlebar a few years back and there were only 40.

104 BTW is still a good sized field and typical of Ras Mhaigh Eo and Charleville sizes, remembering doing Tour of Connemara in Castlebar a few years back and there were only 40.

For Gorey it isn't typical at all. First time I've ever known it not to sell out within a few days of opening. Indeed there is generally a reserve/cancellation list to get into the race.

For Gorey it isn't typical at all. First time I've ever known it not to sell out within a few days of opening. Indeed there is generally a reserve/cancellation list to get into the race.

Yes I remember looking at it in previous years a few weeks beforehand and seeing it was full. Strange turnaround as you say. Mumham and Tour of Ulster have always run at the same time and Ras Mhaigh Eo has been on a couple of weeks before it last few years so no change there.

Wonder has weather had an impact, most guys have very little racing done this year where as in previous years there would be quite a bit in the legs by Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Think maybe we have reached the height of participants for road racing and will see a downward trend for open racing now. In my club quite a few have opted for the vets league this year over open racing as it is seen to be a safer option for those that now have responsibilities and families to look out for. Also the cost both in time and financial for stage raving is considerable. Finally also think for the likes of Gorey you really need to have a club or team behind you for logistics. You don't see too many single riders entering now.

Jaysus that's a fair rake of excuses for not doing the Gorey! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

My son is back racing this year after a 3-4 season break (due to college)

We have noticed this trend in reduced numbers at all four races we attended this year. It is being noticed more generally. Theories include the rising economy (full employment) giving less people time to train. Add in a rough winter on top with inadequate time to train, some say!

However, my own view is that I noticed a trend back four years years which I think it is really now showing in the numbers.

If you look at the age profile in the current races there are not many racers in the 20-28 age bracket. The number of juniors appears to be holding up but there is little development path within clubs when they transition to senior level. High performance juniors are looked after but those that do not have this path quickly leave and they are not coming back.

What I also saw in the past is that very few clubs have structures to support young riders and my lad only survived in the sport as he had my support. (His club did pay race expenses for stage races which was a great help) I also noticed that many of the juniors that stayed on racing had parental support. Mark O'Callaghan is a good example of a late developer and I spent many a race by the side of the road chatting to his lovely parents.

This year has seen an unprecedented cancellation of races (not due to bad weather) and in a number of cases club resources have been hinted as an issue. Posting of race results has also worsened,

My concerns are not just at the club level. I see a virtually unchanged field of commissars in Munster after four years away. Great guys, all of them, but what happens when they decide to pack it in.

My lad is racing Gorey this weekend but I will be doing the support. I do this because I love the sport but I fear the fall off in numbers is pointing to a deeper underlying problem in the Irish race scene. I hope I am wrong.

The one plus is that it is making for safer racing but I will be surprised if we don't see a very decimated field roll out of Gorey on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I don't know... maybe you are right.

It was a really, really crap winter, plus the season later start. Id hope its mainly because people don't feel they are ready for something like Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

boege wrote: »
    If you look at the age profile in the current races there are not many racers in the 20-28 age bracket. The number of juniors appears to be holding up but there is little development path within clubs when they transition to senior level. High performance juniors are looked after but those that do not have this path quickly leave and they are not coming back.

What I also saw in the past is that very few clubs have structures to support young riders and my lad only survived in the sport as he had my support. (His club did pay race expenses for stage races which was a great help) I also noticed that many of the juniors that stayed on racing had parental support. Mark O'Callaghan is a good example of a late developer and I spent many a race by the side of the road chatting to his lovely parents.

Virtually nobody starts road racing at 18-25 I would think. Either you start as a youth/junior because you've got parental support, or after you finish college. While theoretically you could start racing on a €500 bike or get luck with a second-hand purchase, typically you're talking €1000+ for a bike and then plenty more for kit, race entries, accessories.

With the majority of the population going to college for 3-4 years, that's money most simply don't have to spare on a hobby. So a decent road bike usually has to wait until a year or two into your first job, and then maybe another year to get into racing.

Hence we end up with these fields of juniors and people in the their late 20s/early 30s and upwards. On top of that, I wonder how much of the current crop was a boon of the Bike to Work scheme, allowing people to splash out a bit - I know that's when I finally made the leap. That might have lead to a saturation point, and now it's trailing off?

And yes, **** winter too. I've done almost zero miles training due to a combination of factors, but chiefly because there's been so few dry, non-icy weekends this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I’d race the Gorey if the wife would let me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

fondriest wrote: »

:D a boat we are all familiar with!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wouldn't want to read too much in to just one year. It's possible the winter had a lot to do with it.

I know if I'd been trying to do a decent winter's training to prepare for stage races it would have been seriously disrupted, both due to the weather and the amount of bugs going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

fondriest wrote: »

I can have a word with her, if you like.

I wouldn't want to read too much in to just one year. It's possible the winter had a lot to do with it.

Last year was down around 50 on the year previous as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

531 wrote: »
    I can have a word with her, if you like.

Please do

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

I notice some clubs on the start list there with serious numbers, some 8/9 riders each, I see one former National Vets champ there too, hmmm.
    A decent crop of juniors there from at least one club also.
    Still should be some decent racing.

Next year hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Does anyone have some current strava/MMR links for each stage? My google-fu is weak today.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

buffalo wrote: »
    Virtually nobody starts road racing at 18-25 I would think. Either you start as a youth/junior because you've got parental support, or after you finish college. While theoretically you could start racing on a €500 bike or get luck with a second-hand purchase, typically you're talking €1000+ for a bike and then plenty more for kit, race entries, accessories.

With the majority of the population going to college for 3-4 years, that's money most simply don't have to spare on a hobby. So a decent road bike usually has to wait until a year or two into your first job, and then maybe another year to get into racing.

Hence we end up with these fields of juniors and people in the their late 20s/early 30s and upwards. On top of that, I wonder how much of the current crop was a boon of the Bike to Work scheme, allowing people to splash out a bit - I know that's when I finally made the leap. That might have lead to a saturation point, and now it's trailing off?

And yes, **** winter too. I've done almost zero miles training due to a combination of factors, but chiefly because there's been so few dry, non-icy weekends this year.

Buffolo,
    The BTW scheme and costs were well established back 3-4 years ago so I am not sure how the cost issue is a factor, as it has not changed. I dont doubt it drove numbers up and maybe it is settling down now (is golf the new golf!)

The bad winter is playing a part but in the past Gorey booked out about 2-3 days after it opened, so we have gone from 200+ entries to 100+ in less than four years. 'Not natural' !

Lacey cup was well down this year but that was no surprise, as they only called it on the morning. Carrick was also well down and Des Hanlon numbers, as well as Ras Limni, were just Ok. A3 seems to be taking the hardest hit on numbers.

Finally, I had to route through a drawer to find an old cheque book to help my lad enter Gorey, as he does not have one himself ......wonder if this is a factor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

boege wrote: »
    Buffolo,
    The BTW scheme and costs were well established back 3-4 years ago so I am not sure how the cost issue is a factor, as it has not changed. I dont doubt it drove numbers up and maybe it is settling down now (is golf the new golf!)

The bad winter is playing a part but in the past Gorey booked out about 2-3 days after it opened, so we have gone from 200+ entries to 100+ in less than four years. 'Not natural' !

Lacey cup was well down this year but that was no surprise, as they only called it on the morning. Carrick was also well down and Des Hanlon numbers, as well as Ras Limni, were just Ok. A3 seems to be taking the hardest hit on numbers.

Finally, I had to route through a drawer to find an old cheque book to help my lad enter Gorey, as he does not have one himself ......wonder if this is a factor!!!

Hanlon numbers were ok?! A4 race was full. Few entries left for A3 and myself and a number of others were turned away on the day from the A1/A2 race. Not sure how they could have had better numbers....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carnivorecc

I believe a lot of riders who have ridden it in previous years have moved onto harder races such as Rás Mumhan. Gorey is a very hard race to win but relatively easy to ride around in the bunch. I reckon riders who have done Gorey before want to challenge themselves more in Mumhan than ride around at Gorey again. I was on a team of 10 riders 2 years ago and half of them will be riding Mumhan tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Mugser wrote:
    I notice some clubs on the start list there with serious numbers, some 8/9 riders each, I see one former National Vets champ there too, hmmm. A decent crop of juniors there from at least one club also. Still should be some decent racing.

Lucan with 12 and 5 juniors among them.

Advertisement