Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey 3 Day 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Hanlon numbers were ok?! A4 race was full. Few entries left for A3 and myself and a number of others were turned away on the day from the A1/A2 race. Not sure how they could have had better numbers....

Des Hanlon is one of the big races in the calendar so you would expect it to book out early. The A3 race had 50 places left with three days to go and there were also places in one of the other races. On the day numbers did rise but it was a capped entry whereas in years back this race had a huge field. I have a photo about 5 years ago of the Hanlon A3 start line and there were over 120 riders lined up (and nearly all wearing balaclavas.)

To put it in perspective my lad could never get into Gorey in the 5-6 years he raced. Every time we went to book the entry was full. We even suspected it was filled one year before it opened. No problems this year.

TBH, the smaller numbers are making for safer racing but I was just interested in other peoples views but maybe the scene has just changed over time.

Anyway, to echo an earlier request by someone else, anyone have strava/maymyride links to Gorey routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

boege wrote: »

Anyway, to echo an earlier request by someone else, anyone have strava/maymyride links to Gorey routes?

Found these from a previous year but they seem to match the stages

https://www.strava.com/activities/132044031

https://www.strava.com/activities/279924498

https://m.strava.com/activities/529715526

Bit cheeky I know :-) but if it comes down to it any chance you could carry a set of wheels to cover 3 riders ?

boege wrote: »
    A3 seems to be taking the hardest hit on numbers.

Finally, I had to route through a drawer to find an old cheque book to help my lad enter Gorey, as he does not have one himself ......wonder if this is a factor!!!

There was a concerted effort last year to get A3's ups to A2. It worked, a lot of guys who aren't really A2 standard found themselves A2.

On of the guys in out club posted off the 60 cash in an envelope

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A3 numbers will increase as the threshold as dropped to 13pts in A4 to get upgraded.

If numbers continue to drop it will be interesting to see how clubs decide to continue with road races with low numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I imagine there will be another change to grading by the end of the year, increasing A4 point threshold and all the others as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Races down on numbers? What were they in previous years?

In Laois yesterday there was a great turnout. I don't have exact numbers but I think about 110 in A4, 75 in A3 and about 80 in A2 races.

Maybe the problem is fixture congestion? 3 stages races at Easter plus a one day race plus 1 stage race the weekend before easter.

Maybe its right call to try and get the season to start later and move some races to later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bri981

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Chumpski wrote: »
    Races down on numbers? What were they in previous years?

In Laois yesterday there was a great turnout. I don't have exact numbers but I think about 110 in A4, 75 in A3 and about 80 in A2 races.

Maybe the problem is fixture congestion? 3 stages races at Easter plus a one day race plus 1 stage race the weekend before easter.

Maybe its right call to try and get the season to start later and move some races to later in the year.

80 in the A2 race? Raced it and dont remember seeing 80 lads there. Maybe 25. 30 at a push. Unless a huge amount got shelled of DNF'D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

80 in the A2 race? Raced it and dont remember seeing 80 lads there. Maybe 25. 30 at a push. Unless a huge amount got shelled of DNF'D.
    Down in Carrick there was 76 signed on when I got there, it never felt like there was more than 50. I think its funny how, unless a critical mass is hit, it only feels like the number you think is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    Down in Carrick there was 76 signed on when I got there, it never felt like there was more than 50. I think its funny how, unless a critical mass is hit, it only feels like the number you think is safe.

No I'd actually heard 30 minutes before roll out there were only a max or 30 or so A2's racing. They had to give us a 10 minute lead on the massive A3 group as there were so few of us they were afraid wed be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

For the A2s, i was going by seeing the bunch pass. I am likely mistaken on the A2 numbers. Was it 30?

I did hear a figure of 75 for sure in the A3 race at the start line and i was in the A4 and yeah it was a big group, person told me 80 when i signed on, and the bunch was pretty big by the time we started, I'm guessing they filled up with 100+ riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Chumpski wrote: »
    For the A2s, i was going by seeing the bunch pass. I am likely mistaken on the A2 numbers. Was it 30?

I did hear a figure of 75 for sure in the A3 race at the start line and i was in the A4 and yeah it was a big group, person told me 80 when i signed on, and the bunch was pretty big by the time we started, I'm guessing they filled up with 100+ riders.
    I was in the A4 race , they announced 76 when we were waiting to roll out .
    There was only about 30ish in the A2 group .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

From my own perspective that A2 race was very poorly advertised. I don't know how many years that race has run to date but since its inception it was always A4 and A3 fields only. I certainly had no idea they were running an A2 field this year.

Well guys I know it's a bit off topic but it was my first time to do the gorey 3 day and was well impressed with the organisation and how smooth it ran.

Little details like a back door to sign on with a toilet just inside it where you can quickly leave your bike and have a last minute pee help.

And having huge roof heaters on in the community centre after the final stage back to blessington was a nice touch. Weather was horrible for that stage, it was the coldest i have ever been on a bike, hands didn't work and after the first 35 km couldn't eat or drink (at least mind and legs were still functioning). Almost hypothermic if like myself and many others you got your clothing choice wrong.

104 started, 77 finished.

In my last 5 stage races I punctured in 3, bust a spoke in a 4th and came off in a crash in a 5th. Lost time in all of these and was either looking at DNF or my name right at the bottom of the final GC results. Was delighted to finally break this trend with an incident free race and see my name in the upper half.

Advertisement