Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EFL jobs in Ireland - TEFL/CELTA Qualification query

Options
  • 27-03-2018 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,

If there is a thread that exists already in regards to this topic, I do apologies profusely. I am currently undergoing a bit of a mid life crisis where I have realised working in the IT sector (4+ years experience) is just not the career I want for the rest of my life.

I am now currently looking into possibly studying for a TEFL course and working abroad (currently looking at Spain, Dubai or China) for a minimum 1 year anyway. What my real question is that lets say I was to go abroad teaching English for X amount of years and decide to finally come home for good, is it possible to use the skills/experience gained and TEFL qualification, to become a teacher either in a public or private school here? Can the TEFL course be used as a base to gain a qualification in teaching back home?

Also, if that option isn't possible, are there many EFL full time positions available in Ireland or is that market not as popular or common here as I can only really find part time positions available. I just don't want to return home and be back in the same position again as in not knowing what to do.

Thank you all for reading my thread and would really appreciate any help/advice/tips that can be provided.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

x00065954 wrote: »
    Hi all,

If there is a thread that exists already in regards to this topic, I do apologies profusely. I am currently undergoing a bit of a mid life crisis where I have realised working in the IT sector (4+ years experience) is just not the career I want for the rest of my life.

I am now currently looking into possibly studying for a TEFL course and working abroad (currently looking at Spain, Dubai or China) for a minimum 1 year anyway. What my real question is that lets say I was to go abroad teaching English for X amount of years and decide to finally come home for good, is it possible to use the skills/experience gained and TEFL qualification, to become a teacher either in a public or private school here? Can the TEFL course be used as a base to gain a qualification in teaching back home?

Also, if that option isn't possible, are there many EFL full time positions available in Ireland or is that market not as popular or common here as I can only really find part time positions available. I just don't want to return home and be back in the same position again as in not knowing what to do.

Thank you all for reading my thread and would really appreciate any help/advice/tips that can be provided.

Cheers

To be honest with you, Teaching TEFL in an English speaking country has little to no security in it. It is great for living abroad, particularly in Asia/Emirates where you can earn a lot of money. TEFL work in Dublin or Ireland is sweasonal, and like most Irish employment, it is all who you know and if they like you, they will give you the work and that might mean signing on and finding other jobs.

If you went away and saw you like teaching, you would be better off looking into teaching Primary/Secondary. Maybe a subject you like. I am currently training in the UK to be a Foreign Languages Teacher.

Advertisement