Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple education event 27 March

Options
  • 27-03-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised there isn't a thread already, considering the scuttlebutt is new cheaper ipads, apple pencil 2 and the possibility of non-pro ipads that have support for the pencil.

Apple store is down which suggests new products.

Starts at 10am chicago, which is 4pm here.

Honestly if theres pencil support on a non-pro iad i'll be on it so fast for college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

The Apple pencil won't work with your current iPad as there's not hardware to support it. Requires difference mechanics on the touchscreen...or something.

I reckon cheaper iPads = low spec iPads and/or limited function.

Edit: I just re-read your post. Yeah if they make an iPad pencil for the current generation, I'd definitely be buying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well according to the liveblogs, the new ipad has pencil support.

WOO!

I was wondering if they'd announce and update to the SE, but doesn't look like it at this stage. Unless they've kept it super-secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Seems to me the only difference between the iPad Pro & new iPad is .8 of an inch screen size and no connectors for apple’s Smart Keyboard.

I’m in the market for a new iPad. Was going to go for the pro but this will probably fit the bill nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

PERFECT
    just what I wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Mind you, there’s almost €100!difference between the US & IE prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

OU812 wrote: »
    Seems to me the only difference between the iPad Pro & new iPad is .8 of an inch screen size and no connectors for apple’s Smart Keyboard.

I’m in the market for a new iPad. Was going to go for the pro but this will probably fit the bill nicely

There's actually very little in common. It's got different processors, cameras, speakers and of course the major one is the screen. I'm curious as to how the pencil performs on this iPad, given the pro kicks in to 120hz refresh rate when it is used. Should be a winner for Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

One thing I like is they’ve actually dropped the price of the new iPad on the Irish site, which was €429 before the event I believe. It’s a brilliant price at the new €369 starter.

Also now Logitech are offering their own pencil, which actually looks premium enough. And will probably be able to be bought on Amazon for around €30-€40 in a few weeks, would make it a great price all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DubDJ wrote: »
    One thing I like is they’ve actually dropped the price of the new iPad on the Irish site, which was €429 before the event I believe. It’s a brilliant price at the new €369 starter.

Also now Logitech are offering their own pencil, which actually looks premium enough. And will probably be able to be bought on Amazon for around €30-€40 in a few weeks, would make it a great price all round.

Didn't spot that. 459 for the 128GB. It's really compelling now. I bought a pro at the start of the year and had these been around I'd have probably went for them instead; because honestly the Pro is massively overpowered for what I (and I imagine most others) use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Is this new? I see that you can put in details of an existing Apple product and get a trade-in price from Brightstar. It is offering me €175 for a 64GB iPad Air 2...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Is this new? I see that you can put in details of an existing Apple product and get a trade-in price from Brightstar. It is offering me €175 for a 64GB iPad Air 2...

The notice at the top of the screen is new, but no, they've offered that for years.

Also you can avail of the education discount without verifying you’re actually in school. Brings the price down to around €355 which is even better.

I’ve read the Logitech stylus is exclusive to education markets for now, which is a pity. Doesn’t say it definitely won’t be available to buy eventually though.

Stupid question: will the Logitech pencil work with the current iPads?

Stupid question: will the Logitech pencil work with the current iPads?
    Nope, it uses a different method of pairing with the iPad so it actually only works with the iPad announced yesterday, not even the iPad pros work with the new pencil.

Also the logitech "crayon" isn't pressure sensitive. Its very much aimed at kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

What’s got me goin is increasing the free iCloud storage from 5GB to 200GB for education accounts!.....happy days!

sandyxxx wrote: »
    What’s got me goin is increasing the free iCloud storage from 5GB to 200GB for education accounts!.....happy days!

That’s only accounts issued through the schools though. You can’t use it in the same was as say signing up for the Apple Music student discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

DubDJ wrote: »
    That’s only accounts issued through the schools though. You can’t use it in the same was as say signing up for the Apple Music student discount.

Yeah, was talkin to them earlier, won’t be an issue as have an educator account :-~)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I need to upgrade my iPad and am undecided between a 10.5" Pro or the new iPad.

The screen on the Pro looks great but its still nearly double the price. Decisions decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone know how long products take to be available on Amazon after they’ve been announced by Apple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OU812 wrote: »
    Mind you, there’s almost €100!difference between the US & IE prices

Don't forget that US prices exclude all taxes whilst Irish prices include VAT so the so the difference is not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    I need to upgrade my iPad and am undecided between a 10.5" Pro or the new iPad.

The screen on the Pro looks great but its still nearly double the price. Decisions decisions...

So im definitely veering towards the new Ipad over the Pro.
    My thoughts being: It can be got for a little over €350 so under half the price of the Pro. I could buy an iPad, a Pencil and Airpods for less than the price of the Pro.
    A new version of the Pro will most likely be announced in September and be available shortly afterwards so thats pushing me away from investing a large chunk of money on an iPad.

Ive had an iPad since their launch and am currently using an Air 1 which will be given to my Mrs.

I use it mostly for browsing/streaming etc so no real heavy lifting per say.

I love the look of the screen on the Pro but I think I may hold off and wait until late in year and revisit it. Buy the cheaper iPad in the meantime.

Anyone any thoughts on it? My Mrs who is a regular iPad user too is using and iPad 3 and its been really struggling with the basics for the last few months hence the need for an upgrade.

I ordered the 128g version last night along with the pencil.

Honestly, all I have been waiting for since starting college part time in October is an ipad I can afford that supports the pencil. My program is a PhD and honestly the sheer amount of reading and notetaking i have to do is mind-boggling. Printing costs for all the papers I need to read and annotate would be insane. I was doing ok with a cheap android tablet and a half-decent stylus but it just wasn't smooth enough for me since my phone and laptop are both apple. I also really want to do as much paperless work as I can, so this is the absolute perfect thing for me. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the Pro, not even close.

The new updates for Pages and Keynote have me looking at using them instead of the offic suite for reports and presentations too. I get Office free with college and it's perfectly good but the new smart annotate feature they're working on looks so so handy for reviewing drafts and marking up changes without needing to have my full laptop with me all the time.

All in all I am a happy camper and can't wait for my delivery!!!

Comparing the iPad and the iPad Pro now really comes down to the screen. The Pro has a bigger, and better screen with stuff like True Tone and pro motion as well as having the air gap between the screen and glass reduced. Also supports a wider color spectrum and is a little bit brighter overall.

Things like speed, cameras and the smart connector are smaller things separating them and unless you specifically need those things then it won’t help make the decision for you.

The easier way to make a decision between the two would be deciding whether you want to pay double the price for a superior screen and the small speed and camera bumps.

As another poster said, you can add on an Apple Pencil and AirPods and probably throw in a decent case and still have change left over by not buying the pro.

Again, as mentioned earlier there are rumors of a refresh of the pro with FaceID support and reduced bezels so it’s another factor to keep in mind. That will probably be 6 months away though.

The new updates for Pages and Keynote have me looking at using them instead of the offic suite for reports and presentations too. I get Office free with college and it's perfectly good but the new smart annotate feature they're working on looks so so handy for reviewing drafts and marking up changes without needing to have my full laptop with me all the time.

Just on the above, would it not be cumbersome to do stuff on Pages/Keynote only to have to convert them on a Mac to hand them in (presumably)?

Just on the above, would it not be cumbersome to do stuff on Pages/Keynote only to have to convert them on a Mac to hand them in (presumably)?

I have to save as a PDF from word anyway, so it's no extra steps to do that from pages. My current referencing software doesn't work with Pages which is what has always stopped me in the past, but I'm thinking of switching because it unfortuntely doesn't have the exact presets for referencing that my course requires.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've been doing this for years, both for college and work. It's pretty straightforward to export as docx etc.

I've been doing this for years, both for college and work. It's pretty straightforward to export as docx etc.

Yes, but I didn't think you could do it on iOS. I haven't use pages on iOS at all really so was just wondering.

Yes, but I didn't think you could do it on iOS. I haven't use pages on iOS at all really so was just wondering.

I don't often use it on iOS either, but you definitely can export in different file formats.

• Advertisement

In relation to Apple's drive for their products for education, I thought this was a very good article:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/28/making-the-grade-why-apples-education-strategy-is-not-based-on-reality/

Advertisement