Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Festival - VINYL

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I dont quite get it. It sounds like a series of talks rather than a festival.

Id like to see Billy Bragg but Im not sure id pay 119 to see him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think that's exactly what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Id like to see Billy Bragg but Im not sure id pay 119 to see him

Snow Patrol new album is going to played back at this
    It's 3 weeks before the album release.
    I would LOVE to go to this as a massive SP fan but I dont have a spare €119 lying around.
    It's an awful pity theres no day tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Snow Patrol new album is going to played back at this

And they're charging people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A few more details on this article.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/snow-patrol-dublin-vinyl-festival/

No mention of day tickets though.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    And they're charging people?!
    They seem to be only selling 3 day tickets - so you get the other acts / artists / talks what have you as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It seems to be along the lines of the festival of writing and ideas in Borris http://festivalofwritingandideas.com/ , where authors and musical artists speak about their literary influences etc. except this new festival will focus on musical influences and inspirations.

I've been to the Borris one, and it's really good, but you could buy a ticket to one 'gig' rather than fork out €119 for a weekend pass.

I'd quite like to go to the Billy Bragg and Shane McGowan ones (and i'd like a look at Rory's record collection), but I wouldn't pay €119 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I suppose you could take yer vinyl records along too to be autographed. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I suppose you could take yer vinyl records along too to be autographed. :)
    I was at a David Gilmour talk at the Borris festival maybe 5 or 6 years ago and there were a good few lads with Floyd albums, in the hope of getting them signed.
    It didn't work out like that though. Dave and Polly came on stage, were interviewed, and then walked off stage. There wasn't any mingling that i saw.
    I'd expect the Vinyl festival to be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

It's a posh version of the music show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was at a David Gilmour talk at the Borris festival maybe 5 or 6 years ago and there were a good few lads with Floyd albums, in the hope of getting them signed.
    It didn't work out like that though. Dave and Polly came on stage, were interviewed, and then walked off stage. There wasn't any mingling that i saw.
    I'd expect the Vinyl festival to be similar.

The vibe at Borris House is quite unique and unlikely to be replicated here. David actually did sign a few things at the side of the stage after the interview, at least half a dozen albums, but they needed to clear the room for the next event, so a short time later, himself and Polly sat at a table in front of the house and he signed whatever people had there.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Really hope day tickets are released for this! :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hopefully some of the bands will say "if I'm over to Dublin that weekend, I may as well play a gig"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Puzzled as to whom this is aimed at.

Wooderson wrote: »

Vinyl enthusiasts and die hard fans of the named musicians who no longer like live gigs, getting drunk etc and for some reason have a whole weekend free and 120e to spare. I suppose if they are aiming to get 500-1000 people they will probably get that.

IMO, if they ran it a bit more like bloom or taste of dublin where you could pay say 20-25 quid for a morning or afternoon segment, they would get a lot more people willing to come along. They would probably make a lot more money too, as the weekenders would still have to pay 120 for the whole weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

To me, it reads like a much more ambitious (and considerably more expensive) version of Young Hearts Run Free's No Idle Day, the arts festival that's been running for a few years, albeit that Vinyl is exclusively music related, and No Idle Day included film, art, literature, etc.
    I was at a No Idle Day event in 2014 that featured Sylvie Simmons, Johnny Rogan (both very significant music writers), Donal Dineen and others. It was in the Kevin Barry Room in the NCH, which was about all it required. People could argue that they're not household names, but for anyone with an above average interest in music, they'd be familiar with them. Hell, if they'd Mark Ellen, David Hepworth, Stuart Maconcie or Kate Mossman at Vinyl, I'd be all over it.
    I'm assuming they'll run this as a series of small events in different spaces in the RHK, but - as has been remarked already - it seems odd to operate it like an all-in festival and have an all-encompassing ticket. The Borris House Festival of Writing and Ideas have day passes and event tickets. This should do the same. While there are people on the bill that will doubtless be of interest to many, I'm not sure they'll be willing to fork out top dollar. After all, it's only these people in conversation: it's not a gig.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Like the old vinyl, but couldn't make it for 3 days. One day though. Who will fork 119 euros out for this?
    Strange marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Love vinyl but the duration and price for a fairly unknown experience a bit much, spotted Will Self who I like on list, couldn't find even one reference to him and vinyl online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Day tickets next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Looking more interesting now. Day tickets also. Kevin Shields, Flood, Stephen Street and Vaughan Oliver I'd like to see.

30127197_1863334340366441_1138959339021664256_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=da4f360238b2ee50c079e015495f7f12&oe=5B295819

• Advertisement

I wonder will the grounds and main galleries be open and this will just be in a room? If so might be worthwhile wandering down and having a nosey around before committing 50 quid.

They seem to be doing 2 for 1 on weekene tickets ti celebrate record store day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wooderson wrote: »
    Music fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Birneybau wrote: »
    Music fans?

Just so long as they don't want to hear any actual music

Just so long as they don't want to hear any actual music

There will be some live music, albeit not that much. I guess maybe its designed for music fans who are interested in the views of their favourite musicians, on record collecting, industry talks etc as well as the actual music.

Kinda like the extra draw of a q&a with the director after a movie for movie fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Anyone see a mention anywhere of a minimum age for this? I can't see 'over 18s' or anything on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

GopErthike wrote: »
    Anyone see a mention anywhere of a minimum age for this? I can't see 'over 18s' or anything on the website.

I don't think it's licenced, if that answers your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ErinQ

I have 2 tickets for each day and will sell at a reduced rate of 85 for 2 tx as I can't go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

ErinQ wrote: »
    I have 2 tickets for each day and will sell at a reduced rate of 85 for 2 tx as I can't go

Did you sell those tickets?

Advertisement