Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

They are out of stock as its their fiscal end of year and are not buying in any more stock. According to one store manager I spoke to.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

DaveyDave wrote:
    Would anyone like a Spigen Rugged Armor case for the P20?

DaveyDave wrote:
    I've cancelled my P20 on Amazon, now the seller miraculously has stock and jacked the price up €50. I've ordered a 128GB Honor 10 for €100 less as it's pretty much the same phone just with a slightly less fancy camera

DaveyDave wrote:
    I've a Spigen case on the way so if anyone wants it let me know, once it arrives I'll sort out sending it off to someone.

Yes please if it's still available? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

RTT wrote: »
    Yes please if it's still available? Thanks.

PM me your details. I'm working til Wednesday so it will be Thursday before I post it. And just to confirm this is for the regular P20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

DaveyDave wrote:
    PM me your details. I'm working til Wednesday so it will be Thursday before I post it. And just to confirm this is for the regular P20

Apologies. I thought it was for the p20 pro. Thanks for your kind offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Picked one up on pre pay, loving the phone, responsive, no freezing, slowing down, camera is cracking, battery life is fantastic

• Advertisement

monster1 wrote: »
    Just out from an eir store to upgrade to the p20 Pro. They said its out of stock until July 😮 is there a stock shortage?

What location?? I grabbed mine from the one on Henry Street I think, was supposed to be for "bill pay only " but cash talks I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

thinking of a p20 pro for my note 8, thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

BrookieD wrote: »
    thinking of a p20 pro for my note 8, thoughts anyone?

Cant speak about note 8..id have thought its pretty good? P20 Pro.. Best smartphone camera, decent performance, lots of storage.. I like the ui.. Apple ish.. For me was no brainer as got the free bose headphones on pre order

What location?? I grabbed mine from the one on Henry Street I think, was supposed to be for "bill pay only " but cash talks I guess

What's with Eir doing bill pay only stock? A phone is a phone, surely? They treat bill pay customers like crap so I'm surprised they care to keep stock for them. I guess they still make good money off contracts.

My mam got a Huawei P Smart and was told they only have bill pay stock. It's a €200 phone and isn't worth getting locked into a 2 year contract for. They're just losing sales at the end of the day.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What's with Eir doing bill pay only stock? A phone is a phone, surely? They treat bill pay customers like crap so I'm surprised they care to keep stock for them. I guess they still make good money off contracts.

My mam got a Huawei P Smart and was told they only have bill pay stock. It's a €200 phone and isn't worth getting locked into a 2 year contract for. They're just losing sales at the end of the day.

No clue tbh but yet man had no idea giving me a phone on prepay once he copped I was going to go buy it somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Any love for the Lite?

On my second Huawei so would like to get another, was looking at P Smart(160 if you "switch" to vodafone, but not sure if any good) and then P20 lite seems to be the next phone

Looking for camera and battery as good as I can and not willing to pay 600(250 or so for G7 and worked great, only battery going and phone outdated) or so on a phone

Thanks

Got mine 5 days ago on an anytime upgrade with Vodafone and so far prefer it to Samsungs UI. Really only annoying thing I've seen is sometimes when I unlock it insists on a PIN and throws a message about 'some user data not accessible without pin'. I just press power button off and on and the face id works again. Weird.

Other than that it's pretty decent, and I don't mind it not being a 2K screen.

Ordered a Spigen Rugged Armor and screen protector. The included gel case isn't bad at all but not deep enough to protect the camera.

Any of the free BOSE wireless headphones up on adverts yet ?

DaveyDave wrote: »

According to a manager I know in one of the Eir stores, Eir are in the middle of their end of year audit so buying no more stock. Hence shortage of P20 range.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

P20 Pro being delivered tomorrow. Got a decent case for it today.

Decent deal with Eir Business. €243 up front. Got a few credits worth €140 in total (Loyalty Team). Should get that or more for my old HTC 10.

€35 p/m for unlimited everything. 12 month deal (their error).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Have you many others on the plan?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Have you many others on the plan?

Me? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Decent deal with Eir Business. €243 up front. Got a few credits worth €140 in total (Loyalty Team). Should get that or more for my old HTC 10.

How did you get this deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Larek

I've been waiting for P20 Pro over a month from Vodafone as they were out of stock.
    Got one from Poland in Dual SIM version which you won't be able to get in UK or Ireland.
    Have one more now, box still sealed in a black color Dual SIM if anyone interested. Unlocked to all networks

After being 4 years with IOS I moved back to Android and every day even happier with this phone :)

kala85 wrote: »
    How did you get this deal

Long standing good customer speaking to the right person in their loyalty team on the right day I guess. I bundled a landline in there too.

It's a good outcome for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

My March Pre order finally turned up yesterday.
    Got sick of waiting so bought off ebay and was too late to cancel pre order.
    Its sat there looking all nice and twilight-y and i darent use it as ebay version is meant to arrive yesterday/today/god knows as well and the preorder is being returned....

this has tested my patience

• Advertisement

I ordered on the phone yesterday lunchtime. Sms says it'll be delivered within the hour. Not bad at all!

What is the easiest way of transferring the content and apps from my HTC 10 to the new P20 Pro?

I ordered on the phone yesterday lunchtime. Sms says it'll be delivered within the hour. Not bad at all!

What is the easiest way of transferring the content and apps from my HTC 10 to the new P20 Pro?

It has a clone app or gives you a link for one that will transfer everything

The Phone Clone app is the best way. Does it over wi-fi and you just scan a QR code on the screen of the other phone. Works well and quite quick.

Have to say it worked better than the Xperia transfer on my old Z5!

Between that and my Google login saving everything down to my Work WiFi settings, I didn't have to do a whole lot on my new phone. Google Smart Lock remember most of my app logins too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Were these ex vat prices

It has a clone app or gives you a link for one that will transfer everything

Setup has a transfer tool - I can export/import everything using NFC on the HTC 10 it seems.

'Pin required for additional security. Must enter pin after restart.  User data restricted'.
    This annoying message is coming up more and more when I go to unlock phone.  It seems to be random.  Usually I don't reboot my phone either.  And I think the only pattern is the longer I leave it on the more often this message pops up.

Anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone picked up a p20 on payg from Vodafone recently? Just wondering if they're still locked to the network.

Yes, my friends was locked. He has to spent 127 euro before they will unlock. I'm on billpay and they unlocked immediately but had to wait 7 days for code.

'Pin required for additional security. Must enter pin after restart. User data restricted'.

Driving me mad now. Happened 6 or 7 times today. Discovered fingerprint will unlock it or pin, but don't understand why it's happening. Seems to be an android feature according to the google pixel forums. However on the google phone its if you have the phone on for more a few days. For me it happens randomly. Some have said if you do a factory reset and make sure to register a pin during setup then this fixes it.

Wondering if anyone is seeing this message.

• Advertisement

It's all up and running fine now. Data and apps were easy enough to transfer. Took a while to organise the apps into an order that I liked.

Phone is impressive. Pre fitted screen protector is a nice touch. They even provided a cover but I bought a better one. Everything works very well. Battery life looks great. Camera is great.

It's all up and running fine now. Data and apps were easy enough to transfer. Took a while to organise the apps into an order that I liked.

Phone is impressive. Pre fitted screen protector is a nice touch. They even provided a cover but I bought a better one. Everything works very well. Battery life looks great. Camera is great.
    Which cover did you go for?

Which cover did you go for?

Red 2 piece thing. €10 in a local phone shop. No idea of the make.

Have an issue. Last 2 days when phone goes to sleep and then you wake it up, I noticed mobile data is not working even though the icon is selected in quick settings. First clue is no 4G or any other symbol on the top of the screen, and second is if you try and access email, internet etc it tells you that you have no connection. It works again if you turn mobile data in quick settings off and on but this is no good to me as it means I miss lots of emails, hangouts, whatsapp messages while the thing is asleep.

Anyone know how to sort this ? I made sure data saver and background data restrictions are turned off.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Have an issue. Last 2 days when phone goes to sleep and then you wake it up, I noticed mobile data is not working even though the icon is selected in quick settings. First clue is no 4G or any other symbol on the top of the screen, and second is if you try and access email, internet etc it tells you that you have no connection. It works again if you turn mobile data in quick settings off and on but this is no good to me as it means I miss lots of emails, hangouts, whatsapp messages while the thing is asleep.

Anyone know how to sort this ? I made sure data saver and background data restrictions are turned off.

are you on Virgin/3? its been knackered all evening for me. first day with P20Pro and thought summat was up when I couldn't get data.

are you on Virgin/3? its been knackered all evening for me. first day with P20Pro and thought summat was up when I couldn't get data.

I'm vodafone but I discovered if I go into mobile networks and disable cat 16/18 advanced LTE (which VF dont support anyway but is turned on by default), then no more mobile data disconnecting. 4G+ stays on and still getting speeds up to 160Mb/s. Strange Huweia didn't think to leave Cat 16/18 turned off by default.

The only other issue I have is purely cosmetic. Noticed on curved glass on right side and on bottom of phone some marks. It's underneath the glass so probably where glue was curing...very minor as only noticeable if the light catches it a certain way. 99.99% people wouldn't notice but I'm fussy. It beats panel gaps which attract grot (S8+), or minor paint chips near antenna band (IP8) and creaking glass (IP7+).

Tried a spigen full cover tempered glass screen protector but bagsed it again as per usual. I'll go without a screen protector and just use a spigen rugged armour case. I find glass protectors always attract grit along the edges anyway no matter how good a job you do of installing them.

• Advertisement

I'm vodafone but I discovered if I go into mobile networks and disable cat 16/18 advanced LTE (which VF dont support anyway but is turned on by default), then no more mobile data disconnecting. 4G+ stays on and still getting speeds up to 160Mb/s. Strange Huweia didn't think to leave Cat 16/18 turned off by default.

The only other issue I have is purely cosmetic. Noticed on curved glass on right side and on bottom of phone some marks. It's underneath the glass so probably where glue was curing...very minor as only noticeable if the light catches it a certain way. 99.99% people wouldn't notice but I'm fussy. It beats panel gaps which attract grot (S8+), or minor paint chips near antenna band (IP8) and creaking glass (IP7+).

Tried a spigen full cover tempered glass screen protector but bagsed it again as per usual. I'll go without a screen protector and just use a spigen rugged armour case. I find glass protectors always attract grit along the edges anyway no matter how good a job you do of installing them.
    Hmm it's off by default on my p20 Pro.. Did you remove the factory screen protector? I left mine on as it's fine.

Hmm it's off by default on my p20 Pro.. Did you remove the factory screen protector? I left mine on as it's fine.

I thought the factory one was pants. Collected lint at edges from pocket. My data is not working again so not an advanced lte issue as I though. So phone unusable. Vodafone say log ticket with huweia

I thought the factory one was pants. Collected lint at edges from pocket. My data is not working again so not an advanced lte issue as I though. So phone unusable. Vodafone say log ticket with huweia

So huweia chat say this is a manufacturing defect and get VF to replace it. VF store say no warranty for s/w defects as issue would be on all p20 pros so huweia have to fix it.

So huweia chat say this is a manufacturing defect and get VF to replace it. VF store say no warranty for s/w defects as issue would be on all p20 pros so huweia have to fix it.

Surely vf issue.. Phone isn't working full stop..

Surely vf issue.. Phone isn't working full stop..

Big argument ensued instore, threw a few shapes.....they finally agreed to replace if (1) diagnostic shows issue OR (2) diagnostic does not show issue and tech support say there is no issue on the way 4G is setup on my account

But guess what...turns out no issue shows up after they ran diagnostic, and then they did a factory reset (grrr) because their software told them to and of course still no issue (that makes no sense right to do factory reset if issue not showing).

But...after a call to tech support they said that the APN on their back end had not been setup for my account!!! Never heard of that one before. Now I know the APN settings on the phone are correct and I can use 4G/4G+ so maybe when the phone goes to sleep it relies on phoning home and so drops the connection as VF don't have APN settings provisioned for my account. Just speculation on my side but it kinda makes sense cause the new sim the shop gave me never activated until I rang VF customer service and when I login to my online account it still says there is a sim waiting to activate !! At least it did, that option is not there anymore. Anyway tech support say it's all setup now, and I'm leaving phone asleep for an hour. What a hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

My impressions:
    Amazing Battery Life
    Camera - great outdoors, although you have to turn off the greenery setting on the fly to get realistic shots
    Camera i- ndoors - it probably grabs too much light and you end up with a false, over refined picture
    EMUI is a little invasive for my liking - I swapped out most apps for Google stock apps
    EMUI - swapped in the Nova Launcher
    EMUI - I simply hate the Huawei Share
    Notifications - latest update broke the lockscreen notifications interaction feature
    Screen is great especially as I can let the auto brightness do its thing
    Watch out for Google Play Services eating into your battery life - I tweaked some permissions
    Fingerprint scan is perfect

coupland wrote: »
    My impressions:
    Amazing Battery Life
    Camera - great outdoors, although you have to turn off the greenery setting on the fly to get realistic shots
    Camera i- ndoors - it probably grabs too much light and you end up with a false, over refined picture
    EMUI is a little invasive for my liking - I swapped out most apps for Google stock apps
    EMUI - swapped in the Nova Launcher
    EMUI - I simply hate the Huawei Share
    Notifications - latest update broke the lockscreen notifications interaction feature
    Screen is great especially as I can let the auto brightness do its thing
    Watch out for Google Play Services eating into your battery life - I tweaked some permissions
    Fingerprint scan is perfect
    Can you elaborate on Google play services permission you tweaked?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

Some apps including Maps use the location services via Google Play Store

Apps
    Go to Google Play Store
    Permissions
    Deny 'Your Location'

Admittedly I did this when there was an issue with Google Maps which has been subsequently fixed in the recent update

I am going to grant access back now and monitor battery usage.

Huawei have their own steps app called Body Sensors ...I actuallyu denied this app access to Google Play Services

I remove/disable most of the games and Huawei apps and use the likes of Google messenger, calendar etc.

Make sure to have a good dig around the battery settings. The usage prompts are good as it tells you what apps are running so you know what to disable launching by itself. It's also good to look at the usage graph to see what's running during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I'm sure there's a setting I'm missing but at the moment if I'm listening to music / podcast whatever and I get a message or notification then it stops the sound for like half a second. It's doing my head in

I'm using Android Auto and Google Maps and Waze appear to bed unhappy together after a while.

I'm using Android Auto and Google Maps and Waze appear to bed unhappy together after a while.

?

Did anyone register for the free Bose via Huawei site?
    Were there any questions back from them to clarify anything?

Just registered finally thru german site, last day to apply. Hoping they dont question anything, such as the german address on the invoice which might not match the records amazon have. ;)

Hoping they dont check ze papiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Did anyone register for the free Bose via Huawei site?
    Were there any questions back from them to clarify anything?

Just registered finally thru german site, last day to apply. Hoping they dont question anything, such as the german address on the invoice which might not match the records amazon have. ;)

Hoping they dont check ze papiers.
    Do you have a link?

• Advertisement
Advertisement